Bay County, Florida
|Bay County, Florida|
The Bay County Courthouse in March 2008
Location in the state of Florida
Florida's location in the U.S.
|Founded||April 24, 1913|
|Largest city||Panama City|
|• Total||1,033.27 sq mi (2,676 km2)|
|• Land||763.68 sq mi (1,978 km2)|
|• Water||269.60 sq mi (698 km2), 26.09%|
|• Density||221/sq mi (85.36/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Bay County is a county in the U.S. state of Florida. The population as of the 2010 census was 168,852. Its county seat is Panama City, Florida. The county is best known for its white sand beaches and crystal blue water, where large pods of dolphins swim year-round. These beaches attract hundreds of thousands of visitors from all over the world each year.
Bay County is coextensive with the Panama City-Lynn Haven-Panama City Beach Metropolitan Statistical Area, one of the metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs) designated by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and used for statistical purposes by the Census Bureau and other agencies. The OMB has designated Panama City, Lynn Haven, and Panama City Beach as the metropolitan statistical area's principal cities. The Panama City, Florida Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area was first defined in 1981. Lynn Haven was added as a principal city in 2003. On November 20, 2008, the MSA took on its present name when Panama City Beach was designated a principal city by the Office of Management and Budget.
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 Demographics
- 4 Municipalities
- 5 Unincorporated
- 6 Politics
- 7 Education
- 8 Public Transportation
- 9 Library
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
On February 12, 1913, representatives from five towns on St. Andrews Bay met in Panama City to select a name for a proposed new county. The name Bay was selected because it was satisfactory to the majority of the citizens and was descriptive of the territory that would be included. On July 1, 1913, Bay County was created by the Legislature from portions of Washington, Calhoun and Walton counties.
It was the site of Gideon v. Wainwright, which gave all persons accused of a crime the right to an attorney.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,033.2 square miles (2,675.9 km2), of which 758.5 square miles (1,964.4 km2) is land and 274.7 square miles (711.5 km2), or 26.59%, is water.
- Washington County, Florida - north
- Jackson County, Florida - northeast
- Calhoun County, Florida - east
- Gulf County, Florida - southeast
- Walton County, Florida - west
National protected area
- Apalachicola National Forest (part)
As of the census of 2000, there were 148,217 people, 59,597 households, and 40,466 families residing in the county. The population density was 194 people per square mile (75/km²). There were 78,435 housing units at an average density of 103 per square mile (40/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 84.17% White, 10.64% Black or African American, 0.78% Native American, 1.73% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 0.66% from other races, and 1.94% from two or more races. 2.42% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 59,597 households out of which 30.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.00% were married couples living together, 12.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.10% were non-families. 26.00% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.80% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.43 and the average family size was 2.92.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.00% under the age of 18, 8.70% from 18 to 24, 30.20% from 25 to 44, 23.70% from 45 to 64, and 13.40% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 98.10 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.80 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $36,092, and the median income for a family was $42,729. Males had a median income of $30,116 versus $21,676 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,700. About 9.80% of families and 13.00% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.30% of those under age 18 and 11.00% of those age 65 or over.
- City of Callaway
- City of Lynn Haven
- City of Mexico Beach
- City of Panama City
- City of Panama City Beach
- City of Parker
- City of Springfield
Other unincorporated places
The county operates the Baytown Trolley, which runs several routes in and around Panama City. 
Locations and Hours of Operation
|Bay County Public Library||9:00-8:00||9:00-8:00||9:00-8:00||9:00-5:00||9:00-5:00||9:00-5:00||1:00-5:00|
|Panama City Beach Public Library||9:00-6:00||9:00-6:00||9:00-6:00||9:00-5:00||9:00-5:00||9:00-4:00||Closed|
|Parker Public Library||10:00-5:00||10:00-5:00||Closed||10:00-5:00||Closed||10:00-5:00||Closed|
|Springfield Public Library||Closed||Closed||9:00-5:00||9:00-5:00||9:00-5:00||9:00-1:00||Closed|
|Gulf County Public Library||10:00-6:00 (EST)||10:00-6:00 (EST)||Closed||10:00-6:00 (EST)||10:00-6:00 (EST)||Closed||Closed|
|Charles Whitehead Public Library||9:00-5:00||9:00-5:00||Closed||9:00-5:00||9:00-5:00||Closed||Closed|
|Harrell Memorial Library of Liberty County||9:00-7:00 (EST)||9:00-6:00 (EST)||9:00-5:00 (EST)||9:00-5:00 (EST)||Closed||9:00-12:00 (EST)||Closed|
|Jimmy Weaver Memorial Library||9:00-7:00 (EST)||9:00-6:00 (EST)||Closed||9:00-5:00 (EST)||Closed||9:00-12:00 (EST)||Closed|
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Bay County, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 14, 2012.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Update of Statistical Area Definitions and Guidance on Their Uses (OMB Bulletin 09 - 01)" (CSV). Office of Management and Budget, Executive Office of the President. 2008-11-20. Archived from the original on 15 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-18.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Bay County, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 14, 2012.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Census.gov. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Bay District Schools High School Attendance Zones." Bay District Schools. Accessed October 10, 2008.
- "Bay District Schools Middle School Attendance Zones." Bay District Schools. Accessed October 10, 2008.
- "Bay District Schools Elementary School Attendance Zones." Bay District Schools. Accessed October 10, 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bay County, Florida.|
- Bay County Board of County Commissioners
- Bay County Supervisor of Elections
- Bay County Property Appraiser
- Bay County Sheriff's Office
- Bay County Tax Collector
- Bay District Schools
- Beach Mosquito Control District
- Northwest Florida Water Management District
- Panama City-Bay County Airport and Industrial District
- Bay County Clerk of Courts
- Circuit and County Court for the 14th Judicial Circuit of Florida serving Bay, Calhoun, Gulf, Holmes, Jackson and Washington counties
||Washington County||Jackson County|
|Walton County||Calhoun County|
|Gulf of Mexico||Gulf County|