Panama Red, en chileno "te deja pa la corneta perro", Panamanian Red, or P.R. is a pure cultivar of Cannabis sativa, popular among cannabis aficionados of the 1960s and 1970s, and renowned for its potency. The typically high THC levels associated with the variety are thought to be dependent on the particular cultivar, rather than the Panamanian climate.
In a limited test, an Auburn University researcher reported that "seed of a sample of Panama Red, grown in the very different climates of the Canal Zone, campus and northern New Hampshire, yielded marijuana with similar THC content."
Mentioned in the 1971 film The Hard Ride.
Mentioned in the 1973 novel Gravity's Rainbow.
Mentioned in the 1999 film Detroit Rock City.
Mentioned in the 1999 horror T.V. miniseries Storm of the Century.
Title of a season 5 episode of The Mentalist.
Panama Red is the name of the lead-off song and single from the album The Adventures of Panama Red released in 1973 by country-rock band The New Riders of the Purple Sage. Peter Rowan, the writer of the song, later performed it with Old and in the Way.
- Dalzell, Tom and Terry Victor. (2005). The New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English, Volume II: J–Z. Taylor & Francis, p. 1439. Retrieved on 2007-10-02.
- Campbell, Reginald L., R. Everett Langford. (1995). "Substance Abuse in the Workplace". CRC Press, p. 185. Retrieved on 2007-10-02.
- Keays, Jim. (1999). "His Master's Voice", Allen & Unwin, p. 164. Retrieved on 2007-10-02.
- House Select Committee on Narcotics Abuse and Control. (1989). "Legalization of Illicit Drugs: Impact and Feasibility, part I; Hearings before the Select Committee on Narcotics Abuse and Control, House of Representatives". U.S. Government Printing Office: Washington, D.C., p. 398. Y 4.N16:100-2-10, GPO shipping list no.: 89-266-P (pts. I–II). Retrieved on 2007-10-02.
- Geller, Allen, Maxwell Boas. (1969). "The Drug Beat". Cowles Book Co., p. xx. Retrieved on 2007-10-02.
- U.S. Department of Health Education and Welfare (1971). "Marihuana and Health: A Report to Congress from the Secretary, U.S. Department of Health Education and Welfare". U.S. Government Printing Office: Washington, D.C., p. 14. Retrieved on 2007-10-02.
- Doorenbos, Norman J. (April 2004.) "Botanical Note". Economic Botany, vol. 58, no. 2, doi:10.1663/0013-0001(2004)058[0172:BN]2.0.CO;2.
- Girdano, Daniel A., Dorothy Dusek. (1980). [Drugs: A Factual Account." Addison-Wesley Longman, Limited, ISBN 0-201-02962-6, p. 75. Retrieved on 2007-10-02.
- Pardey, Lin and Larry Pardey. (1992). "Cruising in Seraffyn". Sheridan House, Inc., p. 82. Retrieved on 2007-10-02.
- "SongFacts - Panama Red". Retrieved November 26, 2006.