Panda Bar incident
|Panda Bar incident|
|Location||Peć, Kosovo, FR Yugoslavia|
|Date||14 December 1998 (Central European Time)|
|Deaths||6 Serb teenagers killed|
The Serbs killed in the attack were Ivan Obadović (14 years old), Vukota Gvozdenović (16), Svetislav Ristić (17), Zoran Stanojević (17), Dragan Trifović (17) and student Ivan Radević (25).
The Panda Bar incident led to an immediate crackdown on the Albanian-populated southern quarters of Peć (Kapešnica and Zatra). The area was sealed off, and houses were searched systematically. Media reports stated that Serbian police killed two Kosovo Albanians during the operation.
Several Albanians were arrested and found guilty for the crime. They were released one month after sentencing with the intermediation of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.
On 17 January 2014, the Serbian newspaper Kurir reported that a source close to the Serbian government stated that there exists concrete evidence that the crime was ordered by Radomir Markovic (head of State Security Service) and executed by the infamous Milorad Ulemek (Legija), so as to make Kosovo Liberation Army appear as a terrorist organisation. Similar claims, although not accusing the government, were made by Aleksandar Vucic, who stated that there is no evidence that the murder was committed by Albanians, as previously believed.
Notes and references
|a.||^ Kosovo is the subject of a territorial dispute between the Republic of Serbia and the Republic of Kosovo. The latter declared independence on 17 February 2008, but Serbia continues to claim it as part of its own sovereign territory. Kosovo's independence has been recognised by 108 out of 193 United Nations member states.|
- Po naređenju: ratni zločini na Kosovu (Human Right Watch)
- "Godišnjica ubistva srpskih mladića u Peći". RTS. 14 December 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2014.
- OSCE report
- Handbook of Ethnic Conflict: International Perspectives, Dan Landis,Rosita D. Albert, 2012
- Richard Holbrooke and Christopher Hill
- Kosovo: the road to war
- Politika: Deset godina od ubistva srpskih mladića u Peći, 14 December 2008
- Human Rights in Kosovo: As Seen, As Told, 1999 (OSCE report)
- KTV Lajmet. KTV. 22 January 2014.
- Rade Marković dao nalog da se ubiju srpska deca u Peći 1998?!
- State killed journalist, says deputy PM