Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014)|
|Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University|
|Hindi: पंडित दीनदयाल पेट्रोलियम यूनिवर्सिटी|
Motto in English
|The Reservoir of Knowledge|
|Affiliation||University Grants Commission (India)|
|Chairman||D J Pandian (IAS)|
|Director||Dr. HB Raghavendra (I/c)|
|Location||Raisan Village, Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India|
|Campus||100 acres (0.40 km2)|
Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University (or PDPU) was established through PDPU Act, a legislature passed by Gujarat state assembly in 2007. The university is located at Raisan village of Gandhinagar city in an area known as the Knowledge Corridor, and it's near the upcoming GIFT City. It is 8 kms from state capital Gandhinagar, and 23 kms from Gujarat's largest city Ahmedabad.
The University is recognised by UGC (University Grants Commission) and is a member of AIU (Association of Indian Universities). PDPU has also been awarded Scientific & Industrial Research Organization (SIRO) recognition by Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India.
The university has five schools, located on the same campus. The schools include the School of Petroleum Technology, School of Technology, School of Petroleum Management, School of Solar Energy, and School of Liberal Studies. The Director General (I/c) of PDPU is Dr. HB Raghavendra. The President of University Board of Governors is Dr. Mukesh Ambani and the Chairman of the Standing Committee is Shri DJ Pandian, IAS, Government of Gujarat.
The university also has its own 1 megawatt solar plant
Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University (PDPU) has been established by GERMI as a Private University through the State Act enacted on 4 April 2007. The university started with a single building and then over the years, expanded infrastructure to four large administrative blocks, an auditorium block, hostel blocks, cafeteria block, sports grounds, and manicured gardens.
PDPU's vision is " To Be an Internationally Renowned & Respected Institution Imparting Excellent Education & Training Based Upon The Foundation of Futuristic Research & Innovations " 
Undertake unique obligation for Education in Energy Engineering and Management with special responsibilities in domain specific aspects of Energy & Infrastructure.
Seek to nurture students of extraordinary motivation and ability and prepare them for life-long learning and leadership in an increasingly knowledge driven world.
Envisage to establish institutes of excellence in education, competitive edge in research and real time relevance with futuristic thrusts in offering of programmes and undertaking of activities and projects.
The 5 schools of PDPU offer both niche programs as well as programs of general interest, covering UG, PG and Doctoral programs in Management, Humanities, and Engineering:
- School of Petroleum Management (2006) offers 2-years MBA and Executive MBA programs with specializations in Energy, Infrastructure, Marketing, HR and Finance.
- School of Petroleum Engineering (2007) offers 4-years B.Tech, 2-years M.Tech, and Ph.D. programs in upstream & downstream Petroleum Engineering.
- School of Liberal Studies (2009) offers 4-years honors degree programs in Business Administration, Economics, English Literature, International Relations, Public Policy & Administration, Psychology, Environmental Studies and Mass Communication. It also offers 2-years MA Programs in English Literature, Public Policy & Administration, and International Relations; as well as Ph.D. programs in the same areas.
- School of Technology (2010) offers 4-years B.Tech. Engineering programs in Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, Chemical and Industrial specializations. It also offers 2-years M.Tech and Ph.D. programs in the same streams. It additionally offers M.Tech. in Nuclear Technology (This was earlier offered under a separate School of Nuclear Energy, which was merged with School of Technology from 2013).
- School of Solar Engineering offers 2-years M.Tech. and Ph.D. programs in Solar Engineering.
The campus is located at 14 kms from the Ahmedabad Airport and 21 kms from Ahmedabad's Kalupur Railway Station. It is 3 kms off the main road connecting Gandhinagar to Ahmedabad Airport, Ahmedabad. The university is spread across a lush green pollution-free 100 acres campus with very good biodiversity. The entire space is dotted with lots of mango trees, and the campus houses 18 different varieties of birds.
The entire area is walled with 4 access points, is CCTV monitored, and tobacco-free. On-campus facilities (apart from classrooms and offices) include SBI Branch, pharmacy, stationery store, resident daytime doctor, 24x7 doctor-on-call, ambulance, travel desk and campus store.
- The Video Graphics Association, better known as the VGA, is a student film club, dedicated to short film-making and film appreciation. Established in 2007, it is the oldest student club of the university. Its aim is to create impactful and meaningful short films along with creating a film screening culture at our campus, and to associate and interact with various film professionals not only in Ahmedabad / Gandhinagar, but also at a national and an international level. VGA has organized various workshops conducted by eminent faculty from City Pulse Institute of Film and Television (CPIFT) Gandhinagar, National Institute of Design (NID) Ahmedabad, Gujarat Vidyapeeth Ahmedabad, etc. on our campus. The club has also organized several film-making competitions, with participants being not only students from various reputed institutes but also independent film-makers across India.
- 'Sorriso'-- is the photography club. The club organizes workshops, exhibitions, trips, photo-walks and live-studios at national level. It is considered to be the most active club at PDPU.
- Grow.Cook.Eat(GCE) is the food club of PDPU. It is the only student-managed food-club of Gujarat, India.
- Cretus is the robotics and automation club. It organizes various robotics events, workshops, seminars and guest lectures.
- Mind Ripple is the quizzing club of the university. It has organized several state and national level quiz events. The club,apart from its internal quizzes, organizes the PDPU Open Quiz (POQ) held every year on the first Sunday of February.
- Soul Pepper is the drama club of the university which organizes street plays and other live events.
- Brahmand is the astronomy-lovers' club.
- Enertia is a club for engineers interested in solar energy.
- E-Cell caters to budding entrepreneurs through workshops, lectures, and competitions.
- Event Maniacs comprises persons who enjoy organizing events and provide support to other clubs in organizing events.
- IYCN (International Youth for Climate Change) has a local chapter at PDPU.
- Jharokha is the literary lovers' club.
- CII-Yi is the Young Indians chapter of CII.
- Rotaract has a PDPU chapter.
- Respawn is the gamers' club.
- Wordsmith is the club for budding and professional debaters.
- Off-beat is the music-lovers' club, with professional music equipment for practice.
- Foggiare is the fashion-lovers' and ramp-walkers' club.
- Sports is a club that organizes Petro Cup (over 2000 competitors each year), organizes coaching camps, and maintains the extensive sports facilities at PDPU.
- http://www.ugc.ac.in/privateuniversitylist.aspx?id=7&Unitype=3 | List of recognized private universities page on UGC website
- http://www.aiuweb.org/members/MembersP.asp | List of member universities on AIU website
- "SIRO Recognition Letter". 2014-04-29.
- http://www.ugc.ac.in/inside/privateuniversities/pdpureprt.pdf UGC report on PDPU
- http://www.pdpu.ac.in/downloads/The_University_Act.pdf The Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University Act
- "1 MW Solar Power Plant commissioned at PDPU". Gujarat Energy Development Agency Gandhinagar. 2012-09-06.
- "PDPU History". PDPU. 2013. Retrieved 2015-02-19.
- "PDPU History". PDPU. 2013. Retrieved 2015-02-19.
- "PDPU - Ahmedabad Airport Distance". Google Maps.
- "PDPU - Ahmedabad Railway Station Distance". Google Maps.
- "Plantation of Kesar Mango grafts at Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University". Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University. 2011-08-05. Retrieved 2015-02-22.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University.|