Pandora (Kara song)
|Single by Kara|
|from the album Pandora|
|Released||August 22, 2012|
|Kara Korean singles chronology|
Pandora is a song by Korean pop girl group Kara. It is the group's title track from their fifth mini-album of the same name and was released digitally to online music sites as well as radio stations on August 22, 2012.
On August 3, 2012, the group's agency announced that the group will be return later in the month to release their fifth mini-album and were reportedly in the process of selecting a title track. Then on August 6, 2012, the album's name and its title track revealed.
The song was apparently leaked at KBS' radio show, 2FM Super Junior's "Kiss the Radio" on August 17. Following the leak, the group's representatives and the staff working for the show apologized on Twitter and posted a message on the radio community board.
The song is a synthpop dance track. It was composed by Han Jae Ho and Kim Seung Soo along with Sweetune. The lyrics are said to be a modern interpretation of the popular Greek myth, Pandora's Box.
Enewsworld editor Erika Kim stated that the group had improved in their vocals. She complimented the member's role within the song and noted some influences from Japanese pop music such as the opening theme songs of magical-girl anime series like Sailor Moon.
Before the release of the song, various video and photo teasers of each members were simultaneously released from August 13 to 17. A ten-second clip of the music video was shown on the August 19 episode of KBS's show Music Bank. On August 19, Section TV Entertainment News gave a sneak peek of the video as they visited the group on the set and gave a brief interview. The group also revealed that they will be showing a more mature and feminine side compared to their previous material. On the same day, member Park Gyuri also tweeted a photo of herself on set of the music video. On August 20, the final teaser showing the entire group performing part of the song's choreography was shown. The music video eventually premiered on the same day as the single's release date.
Follow the music video's release, some concerns were raised regarding the group's suggestive choreography namely the one of their dance moves where they remove their jackets to reveal their backs which had become controversial. A representative for KBS's Music Bank stated that the group may need to make changes if necessary. However no changes were made when the group made their first televised performance on August 24 at the music program to start their weekly album promotion cycle.
The group made their first live performance during their showcase to celebrate the release of the mini-album at the Seoul Walkerhill Hotel on August 22. The group began making weekly appearances on several music programs and performing the song in order to promote their mini-album, Pandora, starting on KBS's show Music Bank.
The song topped various music charts in Korea following its release alongside the mini-album. The members of the group also became one of the top searched terms on several Korean based search engines namely Naver and Daum throughout the day. It debuted at number 2 in South Korea's Gaon weekly singles chart in the week of August 26 with 28,246,457 points, only behind of the song "I Need You", a duet by Huh Gak and Zia. It also charted in Billboard's Korea K-Pop Hot 100 in the week five of August at the number 3. Other charts of Gaon that "Pandora" also charted are the Streaming chart (in number 13 with 1,279,350 streams), in the Downloads chart (second with 338,054 downloads), in BGM chart at number 59 and Mobile chart at number 23. In the streaming chart, the song climbed ten positions on the following week and peaked at number three with 2,030,232 streams.
|South Korea Gaon Weekly singles chart||2|
|South Korea Gaon Weekly Domestic singles chart||2|
|South Korea Gaon Monthly singles chart||15|
|South Korea Gaon Weekly Streaming chart||3|
|South Korea Gaon Weekly Download chart||2|
|South Korea Gaon Weekly BGM chart||14|
|South Korea Gaon Weekly Mobile chart||1|
|United States Billboard Korea K-Pop Hot 100||3|
- "KARA's Unpublished Song "Pandora" Leaked on Radio". 17 August 2012. Nate. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "카라, 1년 만에 국내 컴백 '파격 변신 예고'". 19 February 2012. Nate. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- "PANDORA - MNET". 22 August 2012. M-net. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "[Song Review - Star of the Week] Kara Levels Up with ‘Pandora’". 9 September 2012. CJ E&M enewsWorld. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "KARA releases Jiyoung’s teaser photo for "Pandora"". 13 August 2012. Daum. Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- "Kara releases Goo Hara's teaser for "PANDORA"". 14 August 2012. Korea Star Daily. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Kara KBS Music Bank Comeback Teaser". 18 August 2012. Tumblr. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "‘Section TV’ goes behind the scenes for KARA’s upcoming "Pandora" MV". 19 August 2012. Xportsnews. Retrieved 19 August 2012.
- "KARA's Park Gyuri reveals a photo of one of her scenes in "Pandora" MV". 19 August 2012. TV Daily. Retrieved 19 August 2012.
- "Kara releases first group teaser video for "PANDORA"". 21 August 2012. Korea Star Daily. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- "KARA may need to adjust "Pandora" dance for KBS’s ‘Music Bank’". 23 August 2012. Xsports News. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "KARA to hold comeback showcase at the Seoul Walkerhill Hotel". 10 August 2012. Naver. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "KARA tops music charts with "Pandora"". 22 August 2012. TV Report. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "(9월1주차) ′음원강자′ 허각&지아, 카라 꺾고 1위". Gaon Chart (in Korean). Gaon. 2012-08-30. Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- "Gaon Search - KARA" (in Korean). Gaon. Retrieved 2011-09-15.
- "Korea K-Pop Hot 100 Music Chart". Billboard. 2011-09-29. Retrieved 2012-08-30.