He was the former director of Film and Television institute of India, Pune. Earlier he served as a DM of different districts of Madhya Pradesh.
Rag was born in Muzaffarpur, Bihar, in 1964. He attended St. Stephen's College, Delhi and graduated in History. He then did his M Phil in Modern Indian history from Delhi University. A renowned poet, he has had several of his works published. His articles on modern Indian history, especially on nationalism and the 1857 revolt have been published in renowned journals such as the Social Scientist. Rag has also been the Commissioner of Directorate of Archeology, Archives and Museums in Bhopal. His interest in films is evident in his massive collection of songs as well as some extensive research in films and culture which this 1990 batch IAS officer has done. Two years ago, Rag authored a book on film music directors from 1931 to 2005 which was published in 2006.
Literary Criticism and Musicology
- Vintage Madhya Pradesh
- Bhopal 50years along with Geeta Sabarwal
- Master Pieces of Madhya Pradesh along with O.P.Mishra
- Rag Ragini Folio (in Hindi also) along with V.P. Nagayach
Edited works in Archeology
- Raisen Ka Puratatv
- Rajgarh Ka Puratatva
- Mandsaur Ka Puratatva
Books on History
- 1857: The Oral Tradition, Rupa, 2010.
- "Pankaj Rag: The perfect relacement for Tripurari Sharan". The Economic Times. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- "Pankaj Rag new director of FTII". Film and Television Institute of India. 2008-11-14. Retrieved 2008-11-14.
- "Pankaj Rag: The perfect relacement for Tripurari Sharan". The Economic Times. 2008-03-08. Retrieved 2008-11-14.