Panola County, Texas
|Panola County, Texas|
The Panola County Courthouse in Carthage
Location in the state of Texas
Texas's location in the U.S.
|• Total||821 sq mi (2,126 km2)|
|• Land||802 sq mi (2,077 km2)|
|• Water||20 sq mi (52 km2), 2.4%|
|• Density||28/sq mi (11/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Panola County is a county located in the U.S. state of Texas. As of the 2010 census, its population was 23,796. The county seat is Carthage. Located in East Texas, the name of the county is derived from a Native American word for cotton.
Up to 2013, Panola County was one of approximately thirty entirely dry counties in the state of Texas, which means that the sale of alcohol was restricted or prohibited. In 2013 local options for alcohol sales were added to the November election ballots and passed, permitting the sale of beer and wine in stores and the sale of mixed beverages at restaurants.
- Harrison County (north)
- Caddo Parish, Louisiana (northeast)
- De Soto Parish, Louisiana (east)
- Shelby County (south)
- Rusk County (west)
As of the census of 2000, there were 22,756 people, 8,821 households, and 6,395 families residing in the county. The population density was 28 people per square mile (11/km²). There were 10,524 housing units at an average density of 13 per square mile (5/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 78.78% White, 17.67% Black or African American, 0.36% Native American, 0.24% Asian, 1.87% from other races, and 1.07% from two or more races. 3.51% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 8,821 households out of which 32.00% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.90% were married couples living together, 11.30% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.50% were non-families. 25.10% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.80% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the county, the population was spread out with 25.20% under the age of 18, 9.20% from 18 to 24, 25.10% from 25 to 44, 24.60% from 45 to 64, and 15.80% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 92.30 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.10 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $31,909, and the median income for a family was $37,595. Males had a median income of $31,333 versus $19,017 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,439. About 11.60% of families and 14.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.50% of those under age 18 and 16.10% of those age 65 or over.
- U.S. Highway 59
- The future route of Interstate 369 is planned to follow the current route of U.S. 59 in most places.
- U.S. Highway 79
- State Highway 43
- State Highway 149
- State Highway 315
- Farm to Market Road 10
- Farm to Market Road 31
- Farm to Market Road 124
- Farm to Market Road 1970
The following school districts serve Panola County:
- Beckville ISD
- Carthage ISD
- Elysian Fields ISD (mostly in Harrison County)
- Gary ISD
- Joaquin ISD (mostly in Shelby County)
- Tatum ISD (mostly in Rusk County)
- Tenaha ISD (mostly in Shelby County)
Cities and towns
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved December 22, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Handbook of Texas Online - PANOLA COUNTY
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved December 22, 2013.
- "Texas Almanac: County Population History 1850-2010". Texas State Historical Association. Retrieved December 22, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- TxDoT, TTC Section E, Detailed Maps 1 & 2, 2007-12-21
- Panola County government’s website
- Panola County from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Dry counties in Texas from the TABC
||Harrison County||Caddo Parish, Louisiana|
|Rusk County||De Soto Parish, Louisiana|