Pantheon is a Web development platform for open-source Drupal based websites. It is an app-specific PaaS provider. Pantheon runs as software-as-a-service instead of running on users own servers. Pantheon’s “Drupal-as-a-service” is built on top of Rackspace’s cloud. It offers a platform for developing custom sites which is fast and versatile, but Pantheon makes Drupal development more accessible.
Pantheon is a San Francisco-based platform founded in 2010. The company raised $1.3 million in start. The new $5 million round was led by Foundry Group, with previous investors being Baseline Ventures, First Round Capital, Floodgate, and Founders Collective bringing the total amount to $6.3 million.
Pantheon is a combination of web development tools in the cloud and web hosting and management services. It is based in the cloud, and the service is free for developers. Developers have a choice between Drupal 6, Drupal 7 and installation of profiles like Open Atrium. Data can imported onto Pantheon automatically if the business has an existing Drupal-based website. Pantheon Multidev does for a company’s website what software-defined data centers do for its infrastructure. Each member of a team can use all the services that power a site on demand, developing on a single platform. As a result, large websites launch faster and cost less to manage over time.
Based on Pantheon’s multi-tenant containerized architecture, Multidev spins up in seconds, with no need for additional infrastructure or virtual servers.
- Friday, September 30th, 2011 (2011-09-30). "Backed With $1.3 Million, Pantheon Launches Drupal-Based Web Development Platform". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- "Pantheon nabs $5M from Foundry, others for smarter Drupal site development". VentureBeat. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- "Pantheon Drupal Hosting Plans | Drupal ASU". Drupal.asu.edu. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- "Pantheon Brings Drupal to the Cloud on Rackspace – ReadWrite". Readwrite.com. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- "Pantheon Forks the Data Center". HostReview.com. 2013-07-11. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- "IST Pantheon Drupal Cloud Service | UC Berkeley Content Management". Content.berkeley.edu. 2013-02-01. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- "Pantheon Introduces Multidev - EContent Magazine". Econtentmag.com. 2013-07-12. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- Lee, Kendra (2013-05-22). "Pantheon's Drupal Open Source CMS Partner Program | Open Source Application Software Companies content from". The VAR Guy. Retrieved 2013-08-24.