Pantheon is a Web development platform for open-source Drupal and WordPress based websites. It is an app-specific PaaS provider. Pantheon runs as software-as-a-service instead of running on users own servers. Pantheon’s service is built on top of Rackspace’s cloud. It offers a platform for developing custom sites which is fast and versatile, making Drupal and WordPress development more accessible. Pantheon is privately held and backed by Foundry Group, Baseline Ventures, First Round Capital, Floodgate Fund, Scale Venture Partners and Openview Partners.
Pantheon is a San Francisco-based platform founded in 2010. The company raised a $1.3 million seed round to start. They raised $5 million Series A financing from Foundry Group, with previous investors being Baseline Ventures, First Round Capital, Floodgate, and Founders Collective bringing the total amount to $6.3 million.In 2014, Pantheon raised $21.5 million in Series B financing led by Scale Venture Partners (ScaleVP) with participation from OpenView Partners and existing investors Foundry Group and First Round Capital. As part of the funding round, Rory O’Driscoll, Partner at ScaleVP joins the board of directors.
Pantheon is a combination of web development tools in the cloud and web hosting and management services. It is based in the cloud, and the service is free for developers. Developers have a choice between Drupal 6, Drupal 7 and installation of profiles like Open Atrium. Data can imported onto Pantheon automatically if the business has an existing Drupal-based website. Pantheon Multidev does for a company’s website what software-defined data centers do for its infrastructure. Each member of a team can use all the services that power a site on demand, developing on a single platform. As a result, large websites launch faster and cost less to manage over time.
Based on Pantheon’s multi-tenant containerized architecture, Multidev spins up in seconds, with no need for additional infrastructure or virtual servers.
- Friday, September 30th, 2011 (2011-09-30). "Backed With $1.3 Million, Pantheon Launches Drupal-Based Web Development Platform". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- "Pantheon nabs $5M from Foundry, others for smarter Drupal site development". VentureBeat. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- "Pantheon Drupal Hosting Plans | Drupal ASU". Drupal.asu.edu. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- "Pantheon Brings Drupal to the Cloud on Rackspace – ReadWrite". Readwrite.com. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- "Pantheon Forks the Data Center". HostReview.com. 2013-07-11. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- "IST Pantheon Drupal Cloud Service | UC Berkeley Content Management". Content.berkeley.edu. 2013-02-01. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- "Pantheon Introduces Multidev - EContent Magazine". Econtentmag.com. 2013-07-12. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- Lee, Kendra (2013-05-22). "Pantheon's Drupal Open Source CMS Partner Program | Open Source Application Software Companies content from". The VAR Guy. Retrieved 2013-08-24.