|Dr. Pantula Rama|
Dr. Pantula Rama
|Genres||Carnatic Music, Hindustani Music|
|Years active||1983 - present|
Charsur digital Station,Kalavardhini, Sasivadana, Manipravalam etc.
Early life and background
She holds a Ph.D. in music from Andhra University for her thesis: A study of the shaping of an ideal musician through saadhana, published by Gyan Publishers of New Delhi. She has an MA and BA in music from Andhra University, where she won gold medals each time and has been a University Topper.
Her initial training was given to her by her father, and advanced training under Sangeeta Kalasagara Ivaturi Vijayeswara Rao. Apart from being a Top grade Vocalist, she has a B High in violin and viola from All India Radio in the carnatic style. She is a Reiki Master in the Natural Usui system of healing. She also has a diploma in fashion Designing, and is an active fund raiser for events based on social and philanthropic causes.
Pantula Rama has been performing since she was eight. Her technical perfection conforms to the best classical standards. .
She has performed across the country and abroad. She has also presented various lecture-demonstrations like ‘Musical excellence of Shyama Sastri’, ‘Sadhana of Carnatic Music’, ‘Ragam Tanam Pallavi’. Conducted ‘Nowkacharitam’ – Musical Opera of Thyagaraja.
A multitalented personality, Dr. Pantula Rama accompanies many artists of repute on violin.
Pantula Rama is married to Mutnury Srinivasa Narasimha Murthy ( MSN Murthy), an electronics engineer by providence and musician by choice, violinist in Akashavani graded Top Grade for violin, and A grade in viola and vocal.
- Tambura Prize - awarded by Kalasagaram, Secunderabad (04-12-1992), through the hands of the vocal legend Late. Smt. M. S. Subbulakshmi.
- First prize in Pallavi Singing Madras Music Academy, 1993.
- Best Musician : State Award from Government of Andhra Pradesh - Presented by N Chandrababu Naidu - 1998.
- Outstanding Lady Vocalist (Senior or Sub Senior) – 2007, award from Madras Music Academy.
- Best Pallavi Singer - 2008, award and Gold Medal from Madras Music Academy
- Isai Peroli - 2011, Title conferred by Kartik Fine Arts
- Concerts of compositions of single composer – Thyagaraja, Syama Sastri, Muthuswami Dikshitar, Narayana Teertha, Purandaradasa, Ramadasu, Annamayya, Swati Tirunal, Subbaraya Sastri, Veena Kuppayyar, etc.
- Recently conducted a thought-provoking presentation of a ballad like feature Navarasamalika interwoven with talk elucidating the way the Navarasas get manifest in Thyagaraja’s compositions and got rave reviews in The Hindu.
- Her Graha bhedam Ragam Thanam Pallavi in Mohana-Hindola-Brindavana saranga for Madras Music Academy - December 2009 - has been hailed as "one of its kind" attempted rarely due to its inherent challenge.
- Concerts with compositions in different languages - Telugu, Sanskrit, Tamil, Kannada, Hindi, Malayalam etc.
- Special Pallavis - Shatkala pallavi, Panchanada & Panchanada Vinyasa Pallavi, Dwitala Avadhanam, 2 hrs. Pallavi Concert, rare marathon tala Sarabhanandini Pallavi
- Eka Raga sabhas (Carnatic & Hindustani ragas)
- An In-depth study of Visesha Prayogas in the National Conference of South Indian Music, 2000.
- A study of the shaping of an ideal musician through Saadhana - Gyan Publishing House.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pantula Rama.|
- Dr. Pantula Rama - Tyagaraja (Debut) in Thailand: http://www.thehindu.com/features/magazine/article114485.ece
- The Hindu Trivendram: In memory of a legendary musician: http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/12/25/stories/2009122550940200.htm
- Navarasamalika: A Musical Tribute: Hindu review: http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/01/23/stories/2009012350530200.htm
- Chennai Music Season: http://www.hindu.com/2008/02/17/stories/2008021758320300.htm
- Chennai Music Season 2007: Carries all the virtues: http://www.hindu.com/ms/2007/12/18/stories/2007121850140700.htm
- Book Review: http://www.hindu.com/br/2008/12/30/stories/2008123050181400.htm
- Chennai Music Season: When the flood gates opened: http://www.hindu.com/ms/2009/01/06/stories/2009010650090400.htm