Paolo Barelli is an Italian Senator and president of the Italian Swimming Federation, in his youth Barelli was a world class swimmer. On July 24, 2009, he was named Honorary Secretary of FINA for the 2009-2013 term.
Paolo Barelli was born in Rome on the 7 June 1954, was an Olympic Swimmer for Italy, an entrepreneur and a politician for the Forza Italia party.
June 7, 1954 |
||1.84 m (6 ft 0 in)
Barelli broke 23 times the Italian Record in many distances, namely 100m butterfly and relays.
He swam for Italy at the 1972 and 1976 Summer Olympics.
In 1975 he won the 100m butterfly at the 1975 Mediterranean Games (58.10).
In '76 Olympics in Montreal, he reached the Olympic final with the 4x200m Freestyle Relay (7th) and the 4x100m Medley Relay (8th).
He was elected president of the Italian Swimming Federation in 2000; he is the first high-level swimmer to cover this position.
He entered politics with the Silvio Berlusconi's party Forza Italia, was elected to the Italian Senate in 2001 and reelected in 2006.
- 1967: Spain (Chicoy, Espinosa, Martínez, Fortuny)
- 1971: Spain (Comas, Pujol, Culebras, Esteva)
- 1975: Italy (Barelli, Pangaro, Zei, Guarducci)
- 1979: Italy (Revelli, Quadri, Rampazzo, Guarducci)
- 1983: Italy (Guarducci, Ceccarini, Corradi, Savino)
- 1987: France (unknown)
- 1991: France (Kalfayan, Poirot, Westrich, Lefèvre)
- 1993: France (unknown)
- 1997: Italy (Iemmi, Bacchi, Vismara, Rosolino)
- 2001: Italy (Gallo, Pelliciari, Scarica, Cercato)
- 2005: France (Bernard, Leveaux, Barnier, Bousquet)
- 2009: France (Bousquet, Meynard, Leveaux, Bernard)