|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013)|
Paonta Sahib पांवटा साहिब (पांवटा साहिब) (ਪਾਂਉਟਾ ਸਾਹਿਬ) is a small bustling industrial town in the south of Sirmour district in the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh, National Highway 72 goes through this town. It is an important religious spot for Sikhs. Major industries are cement (Cement Corporation of India, Rajban), Power Generation - Renewable Energy :: A. Power Himalayas ( www.aph.co.in ) Regency Group which is front-runner in Renewable Energy, Regency BioCare ( www.rhclife.com ), Ski Himalayas ( wwww.skihimalayas.net ), pharmaceuticals (Ranbaxy Pvt Ltd, Mankind Pharma,Zee Laboratories Limited) textiles (Malwa cotton and spinning mills of Oswal group), chemicals & food (Mushroom Factory).More than 2000 industry here.
Nearby Cities;Dehradun 45 km, Chandigarh 110 km, Renuka ji 40 km, Yamunanagar 54 km, Saharanpur 62 km, Shimla180 km,
The Gurudwara Paonta Sahib has linkages to the tenth Sikh Guru, Guru Gobind Singh and the Sikh leader Banda Bahadur. Its original name was Paontika. "Paon" in Hindi means feet and "tika" in Hindi means became stable. It is believed that Guru Gobind Singh and his horse stopped at this place and he decided to stay here. He wrote many Sikh religious books here and then went to Anandpur Sahib to establish the Khalsa Panth. The Gurudwara also houses a museum which contains a lot of antiques and weapons used by Guru Gobind Singh during his stay.
Paonta Sahib is located at  It has an average elevation of 389 metres (1,276 feet). It is on the bank of the river Yamuna, the river being the boundary between the states of Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand. It is situated near the towns of Nahan in Himachal Pradesh, Yamunanagar in Haryana, Saharanpur in Western Uttar Pradesh and Dehradun in Uttarakhand. It is on the western extreme of the Doon Valley a distance of about 44 k.m from Dehradun. Kalesar National Park is 12 K.M from Paonta Sahib..
Paonta Sahib has a sub-tropical continental monsoon climate characterised by a seasonal rhythm, hot summers, slightly cold winters, unreliable rainfall and great variation in temperature (0 °C to 40 °C). In winters, frost sometimes occurs during December and January. It also receives occasional winter rains from the western disturbance.
- Summer: Temperature in summers may rise high to maximum of 44 °C. Temperature generally remains
35 °C to 40 °C.
- Autumn: In Autumn, temperature may go to high to maximum 36 °C. Temperature usually remains between 16 °C to 27 °C in autumn. Lowest temperature may go to 13 °C.
- Winter: Winters are quite cool. However, it may sometimes gets chilly. Average temperature in winters (November to February) remains at (max) 7 °C to 15 °C and (min) 0 °C to 5 °C.
- Spring: Climate remains quite pleasant in spring season. Temperature remains (max) 16 °C to 25 °C and (min) 9 °C to 18 °C.
As of 2001 India census, Paonta Sahib had a population of 19,087. Males constitute 54% of the population and females 46%. Paonta Sahib has an average literacy rate of 76%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 79%, and female literacy is 72%. In Paonta Sahib, 13% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Paonta Sahib is a municipal council which has 11 wards. This council looks after the development of the city, maintenance of roads, streets, cleanliness etc. The election takes place every five years to elect ward members & Chairman.
Dehradoon :45 km Nahan :45 km Saharanpur :76 km Haridwar 100 km Ambala Cantt. 100 km Rishikesh 100 km Delhi 260 km Chakrota 70 km Mussourie : 67 km Kampty Falls 60 km Chandigarh 120 km Yamunanagar 60 km Majra 12 km Dhaulakuan 17 km Vikasnagar 17 km Rajban 10 km Deharadun 52 km Yamunagar 55 km Sataun 20 km Nahan 50 km Chandigarh 138 km Ambala 50 km
- BHANGANI SAHIB : 18 km Battle of Bhangani
- Baila : 35 km
- Teerghari Sahib
- Renukaji ;40 km
- Katal : 40 km
- Dabrog: 36 km
- Kansar : 37 km
- Nandasi : 38 km
- Kujuwala : 42 km
- Kotri Bagna : 36 km
- Bharog Baneri : 41 km
- Chiya Mamiyana : 38 km
- Khaiyan (via Baila) : 52 km
- Kamrao :36 km
- [NAGHETA) : 30 km
- GIRNAL Temple, approx 30 km from Shillai town
Schools In Paonta Sahib
- Guru Nanak Mission Public School
- The Scholar's Home
- D.A.V Sirmour Sr. Sec School
- Doon Valley School
- Hill View Public School, Majra
- Bibi Jeet Kaur School
- Kid's Paradise
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc – Paonta Sahib
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
|This article needs additional or more specific categories. (October 2013)|