Paparazzi (Girls' Generation song)
Regular Edition CD Single / Type B
|Single by Girls' Generation|
|from the album Girls' Generation II ~Girls & Peace~|
|Released||June 27, 2012|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Writer(s)||Fredrik Thomander, Johan Becker, Junji Ishiwatari|
|Girls' Generation Japanese singles chronology|
"Paparazzi" is the fourth Japanese single by South Korean girl group Girls' Generation, taken from their second Japanese album, Girls & Peace. It was released as the album's lead single on June 27, 2012, with an accompanying music video being released on June 14, 2012. Paparazzi continued the group's success in Japan, reaching number one on Oricon's Daily Single chart, ultimately debuting at number two on the weekly single chart with sales of over 92,000 copies, and managed to reach the number spot atop the Japanese Hot 100.
- 1 Background and release
- 2 Promotion and live performances
- 3 Commercial performance
- 4 Music video
- 5 Track listing
- 6 Credits and personnel
- 7 Charts
- 8 Release history
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Background and release
"Paparazzi" was written by Swedish songwriters, Fredrik Thomander and Johan Becker, and produced by American producer, Miles Walker. Junji Ishiwatari provided additional writing. Prior to the single's announcement, members Tiffany and Jessica spoke of the group's new material. Tiffany, on DJ Isak's radio show, "K-Poppin'", said that she had been "in and out of the studio [..] prepping for some new material." Jessica also spoke of new material with Elle Girl magazine, "[Our] Japan album will be released sometime in the second half of the year. We're working hard on it."
A teaser video of "Paparazzi" was released by SM Entertainment on May 29, 2012, on their official YouTube channel. The Japanese TV show Zip! quickly aired the same teaser, followed by a 22-second audio teaser of the song. Teaser images of the group were released in the week following.
Promotion and live performances
"Paparazzi" received its first live performance on the Japanese music program, Music Station, on June 22, 2012, where the group wore tuxedos, with pink gloves. On July 9, 2012, the group staged their second performance of the song on Fuji TV's Hey! Hey! Hey! Music Champ, the members all wore tuxedo's with black gloves. On July 14, 2012, the group made their third performance of the song on a Japanese television show, on the program 'Music Day.'
Paparazzi received the top spot for Oricon's Daily Singles on June 30 and July 2, 2012, leaving the song to debut at #2 on Oricon's Weekly Single chart for the week June 25 - July 1, 2012, selling over 92,000 copies, becoming their second best first week opening, following the 100,000 debut of Mr. Taxi, a year prior. Paparazzi ranked at #1 on Tower Records' Daily Singles for the entire week of June 25 to July 1, 2012, receiving the #1 spot for the week.
The song debuted highly on Billboard Japan's charts, reaching the Top 10 for Top Airplay, the Top 5 for Adult Contemporary Airplay and Hot Single Sales, ultimately debuting atop the Japan Hot 100. As well as debuting at #2 on the RIAJ's digital chart.
With the additional 116,000 physical sales for "Paparazzi" Girls' Generation's total singles/download sales now stand at 647,000 (with their best selling track being "Gee" at 207,000) according to SoundScan Japan.
The music video for "Paparazzi" was said to be the largest music video that Girls' Generation had ever done at its filming. The set built for the video contained over 30,000 light bulbs, and the buildings used needed a week to complete with 120 people hired to do the work. Additionally, 300 people were cast in the video.
A total of 5 versions of the video were filmed, the highest amount for any video in Girls' Generation history. This includes close-up versions of each of the nine girls. S.M. Entertainment released a one minute long music video teaser for the video on May 29, 2012.
"Paparazzi" had its initial premiere in Shibuya, a district of Tokyo, on June 10, 2012, at 7PM JST. The music video, along with a Dance Version, was released to the public on YouTube on June 15, 2012 at 0:00AM JST. The videos received over 4 million views within two days of its upload, and over 9 million by the end of the week. Another dance edit was released on June 22, 2012, entitled "Dance Edit Gold"; it features the girls inside the ballroom set.
The video, lasting 6 minutes 36 seconds, begins with the girls walking through a hallway into the lobby of a hotel surrounded by reporters, it then cuts to a theater, where Seohyun and Tiffany are seen preparing to go on stage. On the stage, a man is seen walking across, announcing, "Ladies and gentlemen, Girls' Generation. Come on!" The curtain opens, revealing a street corner, with clubs, a coffee shop and a movie theater. Posters at the movie theater read "Girls' Generation In Concert", containing pictures of the group from the repackaged of their debut Japanese album, Girls' Generation.
The girls are then seen walking in trench coats, meeting in the middle of the street, in the background, the song, "Singin' in the Rain", performed by Gene Kelly can be heard. Camera flashes then go off, and the girls become shocked. It then cuts to a title card reading "Paparazzi - Girls' Generation". They then take off the trench coats, revealing mostly red and black outfits (Hyoyeon and Yuri's are black and white, and Seohyun's is completely black), and the song begins. During the first chorus, a second set is seen, which resembles a ballroom and contains lightbulb covered walls, with a chandelier fixed to the ceiling, this set is also seen in the dance version of the video. The video contains cuts going back to the group walking through the lobby, being followed by reporters, while being asked questions, as well as closeups of each of the members. The video ends at the original set, with the girls posing with their hands to resemble a camera, panning into the front page of a newspaper that reads "Weekly Exploitation Press" in the title, articles are seen below with headlines reading as such, "Their Style Has Become The Bible For Fashion", and "Girls' Generation Gets Surrounded" The camera zooms into a photo of the street scene, with the girls wearing the trench coats, walking off while Singin' in the Rain plays again, the curtain closes and the audience is seen clapping.
- ;Digital Download
- "Paparazzi" - 3:47
- "Paparazzi" (Instrumental) - 3:46
- ;Regular Edition CD Single / Type A
- "Paparazzi" (Instrumental)
- "Paparazzi" (Music Video)
- ;Regular Edition CD Single / Type B
- "Paparazzi" (Instrumental)
- ;Special Edition
- "Paparazzi" (Instrumental)
- "Paparazzi" (Music Video)
- "Paparazzi" (Music Video: close-up version)
Credits and personnel
|Released||Oricon Chart||Peak||Debut Sales||Sales Total||Chart Run|
|June 27, 2012||Daily Singles Chart||1||92,576 (weekly)||136,181||17 weeks|
|Weekly Singles Chart||2|
|Monthly Singles Chart||7|
|Yearly Singles Chart||58|
Billboard Japan Charts
|Billboard Japan Adult Contemporary Airplay||5|
|Billboard Japan Hot Top Airplay||10|
|Billboard Japan Hot Singles Sales||2|
|Billboard Japan Hot 100||1|
|Billboard Japan Hot 100 Year End Chart ||50|
|RIAJ Digital Track Chart||2|
|Chaku-Uta Full – Daily Ranking||1|
|Chaku-Uta Full – Weekly Ranking||2|
|Chaku-Uta Full – Monthly Ranking||4|
|Chaku-Uta – Weekly Ranking||3|
|Chaku-Uta – Monthly Ranking||7|
|South Korea Gaon Weekly Albums Chart||1|
|South Korea Gaon Monthly Albums Chart||7|
|South Korea Gaon Weekly International Albums Chart||1|
|South Korea Gaon Monthly International Albums Chart||1|
|South Korea Gaon Yearly International Albums Chart||4|
Sales and certifications
|RIAJ physical shipping certification||Gold (100,000+)|
|RIAJ PC downloads||Gold (100,000+)|
|South Korea Gaon Album Chart||17,324+|
|Region||Date||Format||Distributing Label||Catalogue codes|
|Japan||June 27, 2012||CD, CD+DVD, CD+DVD+photobook, rental CD, digital download||Universal Music, Nayutawave Records||UPCH-80278, UPCH-80279, UPCH-89119|
|Worldwide||June 27, 2012||Digital download||Universal Music, Nayutawave Records|
|Hong Kong||July 11, 2012||CD||Universal Music Hong Kong||0620898|
|South Korea||August 16, 2012||CD, CD+DVD||SM Entertainment||2427840, 2427842|
|Thailand||August 17, 2012||CD||Universal Music Thailand||L0600406208989|
|Taiwan||October 5, 2012||CD+DVD||Universal Music Taiwan||0625620|
- http://www.billboard-japan.com/charts/detail?a=top_airplay&year=2012&month=07&day=9 Retrieved on 4 July 2012.
- http://www.billboard-japan.com/charts/detail?a=sales&year=2012&month=07&day=9 Retrieved on 4 July 2012.
- http://www.billboard-japan.com/charts/detail?a=adult_airplay&year=2012&month=07&day=9 Retrieved on 4 July 2012.
- http://www.billboard-japan.com/charts/detail?a=hot100&year=2012&month=07&day=9 Retrieved on 4 July 2012.
- http://satsuki.musicdb.gr.jp/all_info/ranking_weekly/WeeklyRankingAction.do?term=2012f&weeklyCd=20120626&rankKbn=50 Retrieved on 4 July 2012.
- "Paparazzi - Single - Girls' Generation". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. 27 June 2012. Retrieved June 27, 2012.
- "少女時代 / PAPARAZZI【DVD付通常盤】【CD Maxi】【+DVD】【2012年6月27日発売】" (in English, Japanese). store.universal-music.co.jp. Retrieved June 10, 2012.
- "少女時代 / PAPARAZZI【通常盤】【CD Maxi】【2012年6月27日発売】" (in English, Japanese). store.universal-music.co.jp. Retrieved June 10, 2012.
- "少女時代 /PAPARAZZI【スペシャルエディション初回限定盤】【CD Maxi】【+DVD】【2012年6月27日発売】" (in English, Japanese). store.universal-music.co.jp. Retrieved June 10, 2012.
- "Oricon' Daily Chart — June 2012 Chart". Oricon (in Japanese). Retrieved June 30, 2012.
- http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/js/w/2012-07-09/ Retrieved on 4 July 2012.
- http://www.billboard.com/charts/year-end/2012/japan-hot-100?begin=41&order=position .
- http://www.tokyohive.com/2012/08/recochoku%E2%80%99s-monthly-download-charts-for-july/ Retrieved on 6 August 2012.
- (Japanese) "Album Ranking Aggregate (16/10/201 -22/10/2011)" (in Korean). Gaon. January 16, 2011. Retrieved January 16, 2011.
- http://www.riaj.or.jp/data/others/gold/201206.html Retrieved on 10 July 2012.
- "[CD] 2004 A.I. / AI". Neowing (in Japanese). Retrieved October 3, 2012.
- "ＰＡＰＡＲＡＺＺＩ/少女時代" (in Japanese). Tsutaya. Retrieved October 3, 2012.
- "少女時代 GIRLS GENERATION - PAPARAZZI". HMV Hong Kong (in Chinese). Retrieved October 3, 2012.
- "소녀시대 - PAPARAZZI [CD+DVD] [통상반]" (in Korean). Hot Tracks. Retrieved October 3, 2012.
- "Girls Generation:Paparazzi (CDS.)". Boomerang Shop. Retrieved October 3, 2012.
- "少女時代/ PAPARAZZI日文單曲初回盤CD+DVD" (in Chinese). G-Music. Retrieved October 3, 2012.