Paper Aeroplanes performing at The Junction 2, Cambridge in May 2013
|Origin||Milford Haven, Wales|
|Labels||My First Record|
Paper Aeroplanes are an alternative pop band from West Wales formed around 2009, although both members have played together since 2005. Their fanbase has been built up around early years gigging in Cardiff and UK wide after extensive touring.
Formerly part of Cardiff-based band Halflight, Sarah Howells and Richard Llewellyn from Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion respectively, make music that has been compared to Fleetwood Mac, Suzanne Vega, The Sundays, Marika Hackman and Laura Marling. The BBC described them as "a west coast, easy-riding, folkish indie with a pop sensibility", 31 May 2010.
Their album The Day We Ran Into the Sea, which was released in 2010, was described by the BBC's Adam Walton as "'pop' music: brilliantly crafted and stoked from a bruised heart's embers". BBC Radio Wales described it as "the finest radio album to come out of Wales since Rockferry". Their 2011 album We Are Ghosts received a host of reviews and saw The Guardian describe them as "disarming, breezy pop that's tinged with melancholy".
The album JOY was released on 8 April and saw tracks featured on BBC Radio's 1 and 2 as well as a host of German stations such as NDR2 and Radio Eins.
- The Day We Ran Into the Sea (2010), My First Records
- We Are Ghosts (March 2011)
- Little Letters (May 2013)
- JOY (April 2015)
- Lifelight EP (2010), My First Records
- A Comfortable Sleep EP - 4 tracks (2011)
- Time to Be EP - 6 tracks (2012)
- Circus EP - 5 tracks (2014)
- "Paper Aeroplanes", BBC, 24 February 2010,
- Walton, Adam (2009) "Review: Paper Aeroplanes - The Day We Ran Into The Sea", BBC, 27 November 2009, retrieved 2010-08-27
- "Paper Aeroplanes on flight path to Llanhilleth", South Wales Argus, 4 June 2010, retrieved 2010-08-27
- Williams, Nathan (2010) "Paper Aeroplanes quietly making waves", The Guardian,
- "Paper Aeroplanes band interview", BBC, 10 June 2010, retrieved 2010-08-27
- "BBC Radio 2 Schedule for Saturday 5 June 2010", BBC, retrieved 2010-08-27
- "Live Video Sessions: Paper Aeroplanes", BBC, retrieved 2010-08-27
- Wright, Jade (9 November 2012). "Jade Wright recommends Paper Aeroplanes". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- Official Facebook page
- Official Twitter page
- Official YouTube Channel
- Official Tumblr
- Paper Aeroplanes BandCamp