Paper Aeroplanes performing at The Junction 2, Cambridge in May 2013
|Origin||Milford Haven, Wales|
|Labels||My First Record|
Paper Aeroplanes are an alternative pop band from West Wales formed around 2009, although both members have played together since 2005. Their fanbase has been built up around early years gigging in Cardiff and UK wide after extensive touring.
Formerly part of Cardiff-based band Halflight, Richard Llewellyn and Sarah Howells, from Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire respectively, make music that has been compared to Fleetwood Mac, Suzanne Vega, The Sundays, The Civil Wars and Laura Marling. The BBC described them as "a west coast, easy-riding, folkish indie with a pop sensibility", and The Guardian as "disarming, breezy pop that's tinged with melancholy". Llewellyn was also formerly a member of Cartoon, while Howells was part of rock/riot grrrl band Jylt. At the end of 2008 they joined forces with the Autonomy Music Group. In January 2009 they worked with John Reynolds (Sinéad O'Connor, Andrea Corr) on two singles that were taken from their album The Day We Ran Into the Sea, which was released in 2010, and described by the BBC's Adam Walton as "'pop' music: brilliantly crafted and stoked from a bruised heart's embers". BBC Radio Wales described it as "the finest radio album to come out of Wales since Rockferry".
Immediately prior to the release of their album We Are Ghosts in March 2011, the band used local independent coffee shops to publicise their music. A limited edition 4-track CD was produced and these were given away at each of 12 of the band's favorite cafés, in exchange for the purchase of food at the venue. In this way the cafés also benefited from the publicity.
- The Day We Ran Into the Sea (2010), My First Records
- We Are Ghosts (March 2011)
- Little Letters (May 2013)
- JOY (April 2015: Forthcoming)
- Lifelight EP (2010), My First Records
- A Comfortable Sleep EP - 4 tracks (2011)
- Time to Be EP - 6 tracks (2012)
- Circus EP - 5 tracks (2014)
- "Paper Aeroplanes", BBC, 24 February 2010, retrieved 2010-08-27
- Williams, Nathan (2010) "Paper Aeroplanes quietly making waves", The Guardian, 31 May 2010, retrieved 2010-08-27
- Owens, David (2010) "Music Preview: Paper Aeroplanes, 10 Feet Tall, Cardiff", South Wales Echo, 5 March 2010, retrieved 2010-08-27
- Walton, Adam (2009) "Review: Paper Aeroplanes - The Day We Ran Into The Sea", BBC, 27 November 2009, retrieved 2010-08-27
- "Paper Aeroplanes on flight path to Llanhilleth", South Wales Argus, 4 June 2010, retrieved 2010-08-27
- "Paper Aeroplanes band interview", BBC, 10 June 2010, retrieved 2010-08-27
- "BBC Radio 2 Schedule for Saturday 5 June 2010", BBC, retrieved 2010-08-27
- "Live Video Sessions: Paper Aeroplanes", BBC, retrieved 2010-08-27
- this is Bristol Band picks cafe for giveaway March 16, 2011 (retrieved 2011-09-27)
- Wright, Jade (9 November 2012). "Jade Wright recommends Paper Aeroplanes". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- Official Facebook page
- Official Twitter page
- Official YouTube Channel
- Official Tumblr
- Paper Aeroplanes BandCamp