Paper Route (band)
Paper Route playing live in Nashville, TN
|Origin||Nashville, Tennessee, United States|
|Genres||Indie rock, synthpop, post-punk revival|
|Labels||Universal Motown (2008–2011)
Universal Republic (2011–2012)
Tree of Hearts (2012–present)
|Past members||Andy Smith
Paper Route is an American indie rock band from Nashville, Tennessee formed in 2004. It consists of J.T. Daly (vocals, keyboards, percussion) and Chad Howat (bass, piano, programming). The band has released two full-length albums and several EPs.
Formation and early years
Chad Howat, J.T. Daly and co-founding member Andy Smith met while attending Greenville College in Greenville, IL. They first began playing together late at night after a previous musical endeavor, For All The Drifters, had disbanded.
The band's self-titled debut EP was released on August 29, 2006. In December 2006, the band released a Christmas EP titled A Thrill of Hope through Universal Music. A song from the EP, "The Music", was later featured in the 2009 film (500) Days of Summer.
In early 2008, their music was featured in the television show One Tree Hill in episodes "Life Is Short" and "Cryin' Won't Help You Now". The band's song "Last Time" was chosen to be the theme song for the 2008 Nike+ Human Race.
In March 2010, Paper Route were named one of '10 Artists to Watch in 2010' by American music website Shred News. In November 2010, the song "Gutter" was featured on TV series CSI: NY in the episode "Hide Sight".
In November 2010, Paper Route announced that Andy Smith left the band.
The Peace of Wild Things (2010–2013)
On November 1, 2011 the first single of the upcoming album, titled "Better Life", was released to iTunes and Amazon. Track "Sugar" was released as a part of a free compilation album on NoiseTrade.com on Valentine's Day in 2012. On June 18, 2012, Paper Route announced that their sophomore album, entitled The Peace of Wild Things, would be released on September 11, 2012. Additionally, it was also announced that the second single from the album would be "You and I". A music video for the single was released onto YouTube on August 31, 2012. The Peace of Wild Things reached No. 8 on the Billboard Heatseekers chart and No. 164 on the Billboard 200.
In May 2012, Paper Route were featured in the third episode of BYUtv's Audio-Files. "Calm My Soul" was featured on MTV's World of Jenks (Season 1). The band also created remixes of Switchfoot's songs "The Original" and "Dark Horses" from their critically acclaimed record Vice Verses. The remixes were featured on Switchfoot's 2012 EP, titled Vice Re-Verses.
In 2013, Paper Route's song "Better Life" was featured in The Vampire Diaries episode, titled "True Lies". The same year, the band released a cover of "Royals" by Lorde, followed by a cover of Destiny's Child's "Say My Name".
Third Album (2014–present)
On September 24, 2014, Paper Route announced that drummer Gavin McDonald would be leaving the band, pushing back planned October tour dates to December. They are currently writing and recording their third album. The band has begun playing some new songs at live performances including "Zhivago" based on the Russian novel.
From late July through August 2008, Paper Route was part of the Final Riot! Tour, with Paramore, Phantom Planet, and Jack's Mannequin. They toured with Paramore again in 2009 on the band's third album. In 2008 they also toured with Passion Pit. In 2009 they also toured with Copeland and She Wants Revenge. In 2010 they toured with Owl City and Lights. In 2012 they toured with Half Noise, Switchfoot, and Mutemath. In 2013 they toured with Anberlin and also Imagine Dragons.
|The Peace of Wild Things|
|A Thrill of Hope [Christmas EP]|
|Are We All Forgotten|
|Thank God the Year is Finally Over [Christmas EP]||
- "Carousel"* (2009)
- "Gutter"* (2010)
- "Better Life" (November 1, 2011)
- "You and I" (August 14, 2012)
- "Royals" (Lorde cover) (October 6, 2013)
- "Say My Name" (Destiny's Child cover) (November 26, 2013)
- J.T. Daly – vocals, keyboards, percussion (2004–present). J.T. has been involved in other projects ranging from music production (produced, engineered, and co-wrote with Sarah Macintosh), soundtrack composition (short film for Smarkmark), visual art exhibitions ("rest easy", "architechnopoly", "love fever sunburn", and "the body is a kingdom and the kingdom is beautiful") and film direction and production ("8 minutes" and "This House", both of which featured in various film festivals).
- Chad Howat – bass, piano, programming (2004–present). Outside of his work with Paper Route, Chad created and owns Bottom Bunk Studios, where he produces, mixes and engineers for several artists (including a recent album with Brooke Waggoner and Kye Kye ).
- Andy Smith – vocals, guitars, harmonica, theremin (2004–2010). After parting ways with Paper Route, Andy formed the band Brother Leather, independently releasing the album Meat Mural in 2013. He is currently recording an untitled follow up with Stephen P Bohn (ex-Death Comesto Matteson).
- Gavin McDonald – drums (2004–2014). Gavin has performed with several bands, including Canon Blue, Macrosick and New World. He also is featured as a drummer on several albums.
- "Paper Route". Alternative Press 251 (June 2009), p. 44.
- "Paper Route's Site".
- "(500) Days of Summer (2009) - Soundtracks - IMDb". IMDB. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- Rogers, David (2007-04-03). "4 to Watch: Paper Route". Paste. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- Kreps, Daniel (2009-04-29). "Breaking: Paper Route". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- ""One Tree Hill" Life Is Short (TV episode 2008) - Soundtracks - IMDb". IMDB. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Nike and Paper Route Team Up for The Human Race Event". Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Heatseekers Albums". Billboard.com. 2009-05-16. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Ten Artists To Watch In 2010 Part 2". Shred News. 2010-03-26. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Attn: Our song 'Gutter' IS going to air on CSI: NY tonight...". 2010-11-05. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Our new single "BETTER LIFE" will be available November 1!". paperrouteonline.com. 2011-10-28. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Paper Route Album Information + Single - News Article - AbsolutePunk.net". AbsolutePunk.net. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- Paper Route - You And I - Official Music Video. YouTube
- "Heatseekers Albums: Sep 29, 2012". Billboard.com. 2012-09-29. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Billboard 200: Sep 29, 2012". Billboard.com. 2012-09-29. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Teen Wolf Season 1 Episode 3 "Pack Mentality"". tunefind.com. 2013-06-13. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "BUYtv - Audio-Files - Paper Route". Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Switchfoot Plan American, Australian Tours, Special Release and More". AntiMusic.com. 2012-02-17. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- ""The Vampire Diaries" True Lies (TV Episode 2013) - Soundtracks". Retrieved 2013-12-30.
- "Paper Route Covers Royals by Lorde". paperrouteonline.com. 2013-10-07. Retrieved 2013-12-30.
- "Paper route cover Say My Name by Destiny's Child". paperrouteonline.com. 2013-12-02. Retrieved 2013-12-30.
- Glastetter, Jason (2009-10-02). "Paramore gets a Paper Route". The End of Irony. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Paper Route to Tour with Passion Pit". 2008-11-17. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Copeland / This Providence / Paper Route / Brooke Waggoner to tour". Alternative Press. 2009-03-01. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Anberlin add Paper Route and All Get Out as support for the ‘Tour de Vital’". Alternative Press. 2013-01-19. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "New Dates with Imagine Dragons Announced!". paperrouteonline.com. 2013-03-28. Retrieved 2013-06-26.