|Founders||Ted Szabo and Thanos Polyzos|
|President George Kollitides|
|Owner||Cerberus Capital Management|
Number of employees
Para-Ordnance was founded in Canada, in 1985, by two childhood friends, Ted Szabo and Thanos Polyzos. Szabo was born in Hungary and his family fled the country when the Soviets invaded during the Hungarian Revolution in 1956. Polyzos was born in Greece and later emigrated to Canada. On March 28, 2007, Ted Szabo died at the age of 60. The company's first product was a plastic paintball gun, the Model 85 "Dye Marking Tactical Machine Pistol", designed for police and military training purposes.
In January 2009, it was announced that the U.S. headquarters for Para-Ordnance's U.S. subsidiary (Para USA) would be set up in Pineville, North Carolina. In January 2012, Para-USA became a part of the Freedom Group, owned by Cerberus Capital Management.
Para-Ordnance was the originator of a high magazine capacity M1911-style pistol. Para-Ordnance was also the manufacturer of the first double-action-only 1911-style pistol. The company has created a true double-stack 1911 pistol, in addition to single- and double-stack pistols in .45 ACP, .40 S&W, 9 mm, and .38 super calibers. Para pistols have found a variety of uses, including competition, law enforcement, concealed carry, and general barrier shooting. The introduction of the LDA (Light Double Action) allowed law enforcement agencies to use 1911-style pistols while still addressing the perceived liability issues of a single-action pistol.
In 2009, Para-Ordnance announced the TTR "Tactical Target Rifle", which features a delayed gas blowback system, dubbed DIGS, over the barrel which lessens recoil when compared with a traditional gas system. The TTR also relocated the recoil spring assembly over the barrel and under the handguard, allowing it to have a true folding stock. Production ceased in 2011.
- http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_8_53/ai_n19313650/[dead link]
- Phil W. Johnston. "Para-Ordnance 7.45 Companion Takes Browning Design to DAO". Gunweek.com. Retrieved 2015-01-22.
- "Handguns". Gun Digest. July 2, 2012. p. 76.
- "Para-Ordnance Manufacturing Scarborough ON, M1X 1C3 –". Manta.com. Retrieved 2015-01-22.
- "Breaking News: Freedom Group Acquires Para USA - Handguns". Handgunsmag.com. 2012-01-30. Retrieved 2015-01-22.
- Mike Detty (2009-02-01). "Para USA Tactical Target Rifl". POLICE Magazine. Retrieved 2015-01-22.
- Johnson, Steve (October 3, 2011). "PARA USA Exits Rifle Market". The Firearm Blog. Retrieved January 23, 2012.