Parama Weera Vibhushanaya
|Parama Weera Vibhushanaya|
Parama Weera Vibhushanaya Medal, obverse.
|Awarded by Sri Lanka|
|Eligibility||Military personnel only.|
|Awarded for||... individual acts of gallantry and conspicuous bravery of the most exceptional order in facing the enemy, performed of their own accord whilst on active service, and without any consideration of the risks to his own life and security..|
|29 (including awards to MIA personnel later declared KIA)|
|Next (higher)||None (Highest)|
|Next (lower)||Weerodara Vibhushanaya (Non-combat)|
Parama Weera Vibhushanaya ribbon bar.
Parama Weera Vibhushanaya (Supreme Heroism Decoration) (Sinhalese: පරම වීර වීභූෂණය parama vīra vibhūṣanaya Tamil: பரம வீர விபுஷனைய), is the highest Sri Lankan military decoration equivalent to the British Victoria Cross (which was the highest decoration in the Ceylon Army till 1972), or the United States Medal of Honor, that is awarded as a reward for all ranks of the tri services (Regular/Volunteer) individual acts of gallantry and conspicuous bravery of the most exceptional order whilst on service.
How the medal is awarded
Field Commanders report acts of individual and conspicuous acts of bravery to Service Commanders who forward reports and recommendations to a Tri-Services Board. Their report is sent to the President who makes the awards. Recipient of the decoration will be entitled to use the post-nominal letters "PWV" after his/her name.
- Captain S. Aladeniya † - Sri Lanka Sinha Regiment
- Corporal Gamini Kularatne † - Sri Lanka Sinha Regiment
- Second Lieutenant K. W. T. Nissanka † - Gajaba Regiment
- Warrant Officer 2nd Class H.B. Pasan Gunasekera † - Gajaba Regiment
- Colonel A.F. Lafir † - Special Forces Regiment
- Lance Corporal W. I. M. Seneviratne † - Sri Lanka Light Infantry
- Lieutenant-Commander Jude Lakmal Wijethunge † - Sri Lanka Navy
- Major G. S. Jayanath † - Commando Regiment
- Lieutenant-Colonel Lalith Jayasinghe † - 3rd Special Forces Regiment
- Major K. A. Gamage † - 1st Special Forces Regiment
- Lieutenant U. G. A. S. Samaranayake † - 9th Gemunu Watch
- Staff Sergeant H. G. S. Bandara † - 4th Vijayaba Infantry Regiment
- Captain H. G. M. H. I. Megawarna † - 9th Gemunu Watch
- Sergeant P.N. Suranga † - 1st Vijayaba Infantry Regiment
- Sergeant D. M. S. Chandrasiri Bandara † - 2nd Special Forces Regiment
- Corporal P. M. Nilantha Pushpa Kumara † - 7th Gemunu Watch
- Corporal K. Chandana † - 3rd Special Forces Regiment
- Corporal A. M. N. P. Abesinghe † - 8th Sri Lanka Light Infantry
- Lance-Corporal T. G. D. R. Dayananda † - 8th Sri Lanka Light Infantry
- Lance-Corporal R. M. D. M. Rathnayake † - 6th Sri Lanka Light Infantry
- Lance-Corporal A. M. B. H. G. Abeyrathnebanda † - 21st Sri Lanka Sinha Regiment.
- Chief Petty Officer K. G. Shantha † - Sri Lanka Navy
- Wing-Commander Tyron Silvapulle † - Sri Lanka Air Force
- Captain G. N. Punsiri † - Gajaba Regiment
- Lieutenant W. T. Jayatillake † - Gemunu Watch
- Staff Sergeant K. G. N. Perera † - Commando Regiment
- Sergeant K. G. D. Gunasekara † - Commando Regiment
- Corporal H. A. Nilantha Kumara † - Commando Regiment
- Corporal S. P. M. L. Pushpamal † - Commando Regiment
- http://www.navy.lk/index.php?id=70 Sri Lankan military awards and decorations
- "PWV Citation – S/198852 Rec Abeyrathnebanda A. M. B. H. G. 21 SLSR (Posthumous)". The Ministry of Defence of Sri Lanka. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- Sri Lankan military awards and decorations
- Army, Sri Lanka. (1st Edition - October 1999). "50 YEARS ON" - 1949-1999, Sri Lanka Army. ISBN 955-8089-02-8