|Indian glassy fish (P. ranga)
These fishes originate mostly from Southeast Asia, but the species range across the Indomalaya and Australasia ecozones, from Pakistan and India south through Indonesia, New Guinea, and Australia. Although primiarly found in fresh water, a few species can also be seen in brackish water.
The Parambassis species range in maximum size from 3–24 cm (1.2–9.4 in), but they are similar in appearance, with a lozenge-shaped form, typical perciform fins, and semitransparent or transparent body.
Several of the species are common food fish in local markets, and some (most notably the Indian glassy fish, P. ranga) are kept as aquarium fish.
- Parambassis alleni (N. C. Datta & S. Chaudhuri, 1993)
- Parambassis altipinnis G. R. Allen, 1982 (high-finned glass perchlet)
- Parambassis apogonoides (Bleeker, 1851) (iridescent glassy perchlet)
- Parambassis bistigmata Geetakumari, 2012
- Parambassis confinis (M. C. W. Weber, 1913) (Sepik glassy perchlet)
- Parambassis dayi (Bleeker, 1874) (Day's glassy perchlet)
- Parambassis gulliveri (Castelnau, 1878) (giant glassfish)
- Parambassis lala (F. Hamilton, 1822) (highfin glassy perchlet)
- Parambassis macrolepis (Bleeker, 1856)
- Parambassis pulcinella Kottelat, 2003
- Parambassis ranga (F. Hamilton, 1822) (Indian glassy fish)
- Parambassis siamensis (Fowler, 1937) (Indochinese glassy perchlet)
- Parambassis tenasserimensis T. R. Roberts, 1994
- Parambassis thomasi (F. Day, 1870) (Western Ghat glassy perchlet)
- Parambassis vollmeri T. R. Roberts, 1995
- Parambassis waikhomi Geetakumari & Basudha, 2012
- Parambassis wolffii (Bleeker, 1850) (duskyfin glassy perchlet)
- "Parambassis". Integrated Taxonomic Information System. Retrieved 5 December 2004.
- Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2012). Species of Parambassis in FishBase. December 2012 version.
- Geetakumari, K. & Basudha, C. (2012): Parambassis waikhomi, a new species of glassfish (Teleostei: Ambassidae) from Loktak Lake, northeastern India. Journal of Threatened Taxa, 4 (14): 3327–3332.