PTC (software company)
|Traded as||NASDAQ: PTC|
|Industry||CAD/CAM/CAE/ PLM Software/ ALM/ SLM/ IOT|
|Headquarters||Needham, Massachusetts, USA|
|Donald K. Grierson (Chairman)
James E. Heppelmann (President & CEO)
|Products||PTC Creo, PTC Windchill, PTC Mathcad, PTC Integrity, PTC Servigistics, PTC Arbortext, Thingworx, Axeda|
|Revenue||$1.4 billion USD (2014)|
|$197 million USD (2014)|
|$160 million USD (2014)|
|Total assets||$2.2 billion USD (2014)|
|Total equity||$854 million USD (2014)|
Number of employees
PTC, Inc. (formerly Parametric Technology Corporation) is a U.S.-based computer software company specializing in 2D & 3D design software, product lifecycle management (PLM), and service management solutions. Its core product lines are PTC Creo (CAD), PTC Windchill (PLM), PTC Mathcad (Engineering Calculation), PTC Integrity (ALM), PTC Servigistics, and PTC Arbortext (Technical Documentation).
||The neutrality of this section is disputed. (March 2015)|
PTC has six core product families: Creo, Windchill, Mathcad, Integrity, Servigistics, and Arbortext. PTC develops and delivers technology solutions, consisting of software and services. The Company's technology is primarily used by discrete manufacturers to design, operate and maintain complex products. PTC's technology is also used to connect products to the Internet for purposes of capturing and analyzing information from them. 
Suite of 2D and 3D product design software used to create, analyze and view product designs. PTC Creo software was released in June 2011 to replace and supersede PTC’s products formerly known as Pro/ENGINEER, CoCreate, and ProductView.
Engineering calculation software that is used by engineers to solve, document and share the calculations used for product design.
Application lifecycle management software that lets engineers connect software engineering requirements with mechanical engineering requirements early in a product’s design phase.
Integrity along with other PTC products is aligned with the Systems Engineering V model / Diagram. PTC Integrity is the only ALM tool optimized for software intensive products and systems be it Medical Devices, Industrial Manufacturing, Aerospace & Defence, Electronics & Hi Tech or Automotive. Integrity's focus on mechatronics has made it a must have solution for most manufacturers across the globe.
Service lifecycle management software that is used by manufacturers to understand how service planning, customer service, and analysis of returned product data can improve service value over a product’s life.
Documentation software that helps companies create, manage, and publish technical information.
A Platform for the rapid development of applications designed for a world of smart, connected sensors, devices, and products – or the Internet of Things.
1985 - Company founded by Samuel Geisberg, formerly from Prime Computer, Computervision, and Applicon.
1988 - Steve Walske named CEO. Company shipped Pro/ENGINEER and was considered first to market with parametric modeling design software. This positions PTC as a leader in the CAD industry until the mid-1990s when a new generation of low-cost competitors arrive in the market.
1989 - Initial public offering. (NASDAQ: PMTC)
1992 - Caterpillar Inc. becomes PTC’s largest customer.
1998 - Company ships Windchill and is considered first to market with internet-based solutions for Product Lifecycle Management (PLM).
1999 - PTC announces it has 25,000 customers. Major industries include aerospace, retail/footwear/apparel, automotive, industrial equipment, consumer products, electronics, and high tech.
2002 - The company releases Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire. This is the first CAD system to support web-based services.
2005 - Acquired Arbortext for technical publishing technology. Acquired Aptavis for retail, footwear and apparel technology.
2006 - Acquired Mathsoft for its engineering calculation software. Acquired ITEDO for its 3D technical illustration software.
2007 - Acquired CoCreate for its direct modeling technology.
2008 - Acquired Synapsis for its performance analytics technology to improve environmental performance of products.
2009 - Acquired Relex Software for its reliability engineering software.
2010 - James E. Heppelmann announced as CEO effective October 1, 2010. Company renames Pro/ENGINEER to PTC Creo and promises the market product design software that is scalable, open, and easy-to-use.
2011 - Acquired 4CS for its warranty, service, support and service parts technology. Acquired MKS for its application lifecycle management technology for all software development processes.
2012 - Acquired Servigistics for its suite of service lifecycle management software.
2013 - Acquired NetIDEAS hosting vendor for more technology deployment options. Acquired Enigma for its ability to deliver technical content to aftermarket service environments. Acquired Internet of Things platform developer ThingWorx for their software applications that connect and track network-enabled products.
2014 - Acquired Axeda Corporation 
2014 - Acquired ATEGO Software, a leader in MBSE (Model-Based Systems Engineering) tool used in Aerospace, Transportation, Automotive industries (such as Alstom Transport, Rolls-Royce Defence, PSA...) 
Companies acquired by PTC
- Prime Computer in 1992.
- CDRS and 3DPaint from Evans & Sutherland on April 12, 1995 for $33,507,000.
- Rasna Corp., developers of MECHANICA design optimization and simulation software, in May 1995 for $180 million.
- Computervision, developers of CADDS, MEDUSA and the MPDS Plant Design System in 1998 
- Polyplan, Technologies acquired 2005 for Manufacturing Process Management
- Arbortext, developers of Arbortext, in 2005 for $190 million 
- DENC AG and Cadtrain Inc. in late 2005 for for an aggregate of $10 million. DENC adds a German consulting practice with expertise integrating PTC applications with enterprise-resource-planning software. Irvine, Calif.-based Cadtrain provides online training modules for PTC software.
- Aptavis Technology Corp, Windchill-based technology and expertise for retail, footwear and apparel, in June 2005
- Mathsoft, developers of Mathcad, in April 2006 for $63 million.
- ITEDO Software GmbH in October 2006 for $17 million. ITEDO developed technical illustration software and had 34 employees mainly in Germany and the United States.
- NC Graphics in May 2007 for an undisclosed sum.
- NetRegulus, Inc,an Enterprise Study and Quality management software for Medical Devices, in November 2007
- CoCreate in December 2007 for $250 million.
- Synapsis Technology in December 2008 for an undisclosed sum.
- Relex Software in June 2009 for $25 Million.
- Planet Metrics in January 2010 for an undisclosed sum.
- MKS Software makers of MKS Integrity - May, 2011
- 4CS Software Solutions Inc, a developer of warranty management and service lifecycle management software for an undisclosed sum 
- Servigistics in August 2012
- Enigma in July 2013
- NetIDEAS in September 2013
- ThingWorx in January 2014 
- Atego (company), a developer of model-based systems and software engineering applications based in Cheltenham, UK for approximately $50 million in cash in July 2014 
- Axeda Corporation - a leader in the M2M / IoT space connecting things with people and other things, based in Foxborough, MA for approximately $170 million in cash in August 2014
Support of STEM Education
In 1999, PTC created a Global Academic Program designed to support educational initiatives in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) skills. The program aims to partner schools and universities with companies to assist students in developing real-world skills needed for careers in manufacturing, technology, and other STEM jobs. The program also has a direct recruitment program intended to place students in jobs with PTC’s commercial customers.
PTC has also been a corporate sponsor of FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) since 2008, providing participating students with access to PTC software for use in the FIRST Tech Challenge, FIRST Robotics Competition, FIRST Lego League, and FIRST World Championship.
Awards and Accolades
- CEO of the Year: Jim Heppelmann
- Technical Enabler: Platform and Tools: The ThingWorx Application Platform
- Partner and Ecosystem Builder of the Year: PTC solutions
- Acquisition of the Year: ThingWorx and Axeda.
- Must-Follow IoT Company: ThingWorx, a PTC
- Event of the Year: LiveWorx
- "Financial Statements for PTC Inc.". Google Finance. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- Bloomberg : PTC Inc.
- "PTC Creo". http://www.ptc.com/product/creo.
- "PTC Windchill". http://www.ptc.com/product/windchill.
- "PTC Mathcad". http://www.ptc.com/product/mathcad.
- "PTC Integrity". http://www.ptc.com/product/integrity.
- "PTC Servigistics". http://www.ptc.com/product/servigistics.
- "PTC Arbortext". http://www.ptc.com/product/arbortext.
- "ThingWorx". http://www.ptc.com/product/thingworx.
- PTC Acquires Axeda
- About Axeda
- "Parametric Technology Corp.". IndustryWeek. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Forbes Profile: Steve Walske". Forbes. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "CAD software - history of CAD CAM". CADAZZ. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Weisberg, David E. (2008). The Engineering Design Revolution: The People, Companies and Computer Systems That Changed Forever the Practice of Engineering.
- "Parametric Technology Corporation (PMTC)". Investor Village. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Parametric Technology Reports Fiscal 1999 Second Quarter Results". Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "PTC's Pro/ENGINEER(R) Wildfire(TM) Delivers Industry's Best Platform For Product Development". Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "PTC Forays Into Publishing". Cadalyst. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "PTC Buys Aptavis, Grows PLM For Retail, Apparel Firms". Aroq Ltd. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Mathsoft Buy Will Enhance PTC's Analytical Capabilities". Gartner. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Ferris, Sara. "PTC Acquires ITEDO, IsoDraw Products". Cadalyst. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Rowe, Jeff. "PTC Completes CoCreate Acquisition". MCADCafe. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Halpern, Marc. "PTC's Acquisition of Synapsis Accelerates Green PLM Trend". Gartner. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Shelley, Tom. "Acquisition boosts design reliability". Eureka Magazine. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "James Heppelmann assumes Role of CEO at PTC". CXO Today. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Hand, Randall. "PTC Renames Pro/ENGINEER to Creo Design Software". VizWorld. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Brown, Rodney. "PTC picks up warranty and service software firm 4CS". Boston Journal. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Wong, Kenneth. "PTC Buys MKS, Adds System and Software Management to PLM". Desktop Engineering. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Barkai, Joe. "PTC Acquires Servigistics -- Strengthens Position in Service Lifecycle Management". IDC. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Resende, Patricia. "Post restructuring, PTC buys longtime partner NetIDEAS". Boston Journal. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Reidy, Chris. "PTC buys Enigma to enhance its service lifecycle management portfolio". Boston Globe. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Ogewell, Verdi. "Why PTC acquired ThingWorx". Engineering.com. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Collinsworth, Troy. "PTC acquires Axeda". PTC. Retrieved August 2014.
- Collinsworth, Troy. "PTC acquires ATEGO". PTC. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "Parametric Technology Corp - 10-K - for fiscal year 1995". getfilings.
- "Parametric Technology Corp - 8-K - For 5/30/95 - EX-99.1". SEC Info. 1995-05-30. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "PTC History and Acquisitions". Ptc.com. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2006/02/27/daily16.html. Retrieved 2010-08-14. Missing or empty
- "PTC Strengthens Commitment To Retail, Footwear And Apparel Industry".
- "PTC Buys Mathsoft, Part II - WorldCAD Access". Worldcadaccess.typepad.com. 2006-04-28. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- [dead link]
- "PTC Acquires, RenamesNC Graphics - WorldCAD Access". Worldcadaccess.typepad.com. 2007-05-16. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "CoCreate Customer Information". PTC.com. 2007-12-03. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "PTC Advances Green Product Design And Environmental Regulatory Compliance Solution With Acquisition Of Synapsis Technology". PTC.com. 2009-06-08. Retrieved 2009-06-08.
- "Parametric Technology acquires Relex Software". TradingMarkets.com. 2009-06-08. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "PTC Extends InSight Product Analytics Solution With Environmental Impact Analysis Technology". PTC.com. 2010-02-08. Retrieved 2010-02-08.[dead link]
- "PTC Sets New Standard for Managing Hardware and Software Development Lifecycles with MKS Integrity Acquisition". yahoo.com. 2011-05-31. Retrieved 2011-07-13.
- "STEM Directory: James Heppelmann - PTC". STEM Connector. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Wong, Kenneth. "13-Year-Old FRC CADder Luke Dreams of a Personal Robotic Butler". Desktop Engineering. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Postcapes 2014/2015 Internet of Things AWARDS Postcapes
- PTC, ThingWorx, Axeda Win 2014 Internet of Things (IoT) Awards in Six Different Categories M2M WorldNews