Scheme showing structure of a typical spinal nerve. 1. Somatic efferent. 2. Somatic afferent. 3,4,5. Sympathetic efferent. 6,7. Sympathetic afferent.
|Latin||ganglia trunci sympathici|
|Anatomical terms of neuroanatomy|
Along the length of the sympathetic trunks are ganglia known as ganglia of sympathetic trunk, sympathetic ganglia or paravertebral ganglia. The ganglia are distinguished as cervical, thoracic, lumbar, and sacral and, except in the neck, they closely correspond in number to the vertebrae.
Only the cervical ganglia have specific names. They are arranged thus:
- cervical ganglia - 3 ganglia
- thoracic ganglia - 11 ganglia
- lumbar ganglia - 4 ganglia
- sacral ganglia - 4 ganglia
- ganglia+of+sympathetic+trunk at eMedicine Dictionary
- Atlas image: n3a6p1 at the University of Michigan Health System - "Autonomic Connections of the Spinal Cord"
|This cardiovascular system article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|