Parc Zoologique et Botanique de Mulhouse
|Location||Mulhouse, Alsace, France|
|Land area||25 ha (62 acres)|
|Number of animals||1200+|
|Number of species||197|
|Memberships||BGCI, EAZA, WAZA|
The Parc Zoologique et Botanique de Mulhouse is a 25-hectare (62-acre) public zoo and botanical garden located at 51 Rue du Jardin Zoologique, Mulhouse, in the department of Haut-Rhin, in the Alsace Region of France.
The park was created in 1868 as a 4-hectare (9.9-acre) romantic landscape garden, funded by industrial philanthropists, with a zoo whose collection included kangaroo, deer and birds. In the war of 1870, however, the park was shut and its animals sold. After it changed hands twice, the city purchased the park in 1893, and it has remained in municipal ownership since. Although heavily damaged during World War II, it was restored by 1950.
Today the zoo keeps more than 1200 animals representing 190 species, including many species of tropical birds and monkeys, and 94 species that are rare and endangered, and is dedicated to preserving rare species of plants and animals.
In the children's zoo, visitors can walk through the enclosure and approach and touch the animals, which include Moroccan dwarf goats, Indian runner ducks, brahma cocks, and potamochoerus. Other animals which you can see in this area include rabbits, Poitou donkeys, and llamas. There is a play area next to the children's zoo.
The park contains 400 kinds of iris in spring and 100 cultivars (varieties) of dahlias in summer, trees shaped into fantastic forms, and a collection of rare and endangered plants that includes Catharanthus from Madagascar (7 taxa), Canary Islands (22 taxa), and Madeira (11 taxa). It also features a garden of the senses for the blind, with signs in braille and plants chosen for their smell and touch. The park is listed by the French Ministry of Culture as one of the Remarkable Gardens of France.
- "Parc Zoologique et Botanique de la Ville de Mulhouse". bgci.org. BGCI. Retrieved 18 February 2011.
- "Parc Zoologique et Botanique de Mulhouse (25 ha)". parcsetjardins.fr. CPJF. Retrieved 18 February 2011.
- "Zoo de Mulhouse". waza.org. WAZA. Retrieved 19 February 2011.
- "EAZA Member Zoos & Aquariums". eaza.net. EAZA. Retrieved 19 February 2011.
- "Zoos and Aquariums of the World". waza.org. WAZA. Retrieved 19 February 2011.
- "The Children's Zoo". zoo-mulhouse.com. Zoo Mulhouse. Retrieved 19 February 2011.
- "The Theme gardens". zoo-mulhouse.com. Zoo Mulhouse. Retrieved 19 February 2011.