Parental Guidance (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Andy Fickman|
|Produced by||Billy Crystal
|Written by||Lisa Addario
Tom Everett Scott
Kyle Harrison Breitkopf
|Music by||Marc Shaiman|
|Edited by||Kent Beyda|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
Parental Guidance (previously titled Us & Them) is a 2012 American family-comedy film starring Billy Crystal, Bette Midler, Marisa Tomei and Tom Everett Scott and directed by Andy Fickman. The film was released on December 25, 2012. This movie was the last Dune Entertainment film to be distributed by 20th Century Fox.
When Alice and Phil leave their three children with their parents while off on a short holiday, the children learn important life lessons from their grandparents.
After Artie Decker, Sports Commentator for the minor-league Fresno Grizzlies is fired from his job due to his old school talk and lack of social media, his eager-to-please wife, Diane, agrees to babysit their three grandkids, Harper, Turner and Barker in Atlanta when their daughter, Alice and her husband, Phillip go away for an entrepreneur exhibition. Problems arise as Artie's and Diane's parenting skills collide with Alice and Phillip's helicopter parenting. After learning of the children's various problems, such as Harper's high achievement syndrome, Turner's speech impediment and Barker's imaginary friend, they try to make the children their new best friends.
Alice eventually returns home when her boss gives her an assignment to redesign the website for the X Games. Artie uses this to his advantage, as he arranges an interview for the role of sports commentator. He manages to place Barker's life in danger as he nearly gets hurt by a skateboard ridden by Tony Hawk. Eventually, the tension comes to a head as Alice disagrees with Diane letting Harper attend a party the night before a recital and the death of Barker's imaginary friend, Carl. Alice eventually reconciles with Artie and Diane, and allows Harper to withdraw from the recital. Turner takes Harper's place in the recital and resolves his speech impediment by reciting the commentary from the Shot Heard 'Round The World. Afterwards, Artie and Diane become a major part of their grandchildren's lives with Artie taking up a new job as a commentator for a little league baseball team along with Turner.
- Billy Crystal as Artie Decker
- Bette Midler as Diane Decker
- Marisa Tomei as Alice Simmons
- Tom Everett Scott as Phillip Simmons
- Bailee Madison as Harper Simmons age 12
- Kyle Harrison Breitkopf as Barker Simmons age 4
- Joshua Rush as Turner Simmons age 8
Parental Guidance was released on December 25, 2012 in the United States and Canada and on December 26, 2012 in Australia, the United Kingdom and Ireland. Its international release spans from December 19, 2012 to July 11, 2013, with the first 2013 release on January 3, 2013 in the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, and Singapore.
Despite generally negative reviews, box office totals for the movie were higher than expected. Reviews included an 18% rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 84 reviews, with the consensus stating: "Parental Guidance is sweet but milquetoast, an inoffensive trifle that's blandly predictable".
|2013||Young Artist Awards||Best Performance in a Feature Film - Supporting Young Actor Ten and Under||Kyle Harrison Breitkopf||Nominated|||
|Best Performance in a Feature Film - Supporting Young Actor Ten and Under||Joshua Rush||Nominated|
|Best Performance in a Feature Film - Young Ensemble Cast||Kyle Harrison Breitkopf, Bailee Madison, Joshua Rush||Nominated|
- "PARENTAL GUIDANCE (U)". British Board of Film Classification. November 30, 2012. Retrieved November 30, 2012.
- Box Office Mojo: Parental Guidance (2012)
- "Marisa Tomei Joins Bette Midler and Billy Crystal in 'Us and Them'". Moviefone.com. September 15, 2012. Retrieved January 1, 2013.
- "2012 Movies Preview: 'Hunger Games' 'The Dark Knight Rises' 'Avengers' & More". Huffington Post (AOL, Inc.). January 10, 2012. Retrieved June 16, 2012.
- "Fox Moves Billy Crystal’s ‘Parental Guidance’ To Christmas Day". Deadline.com (PMC). Retrieved June 16, 2012.
- "Fox Moves Billy Crystal Comedy Parental Guidance Release Date To Christmas". CinemaBlend.com. Retrieved June 16, 2012.
- Via Press: Parental Guidance - Release Dates
- Amazon: Parental Guidance
- LA Times: Movie box-office totals for 2012 projected to set record Retrieved January 2, 2013
- "34th Annual Young Artist Awards". YoungArtistAwards.org. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- Official website
- Parental Guidance at the Internet Movie Database
- Parental Guidance at AllMovie
- Parental Guidance at Rotten Tomatoes
- Parental Guidance at Box Office Mojo