Parents of the Band
|Parents of the Band|
Parents of the Band titles
|Created by||Jimmy Nail
|Written by||David Cummings
Ian La Frenais
|Directed by||Dominic Brigstocke|
|Theme music composer||Gary Kemp
|Opening theme||"I Cry (Don't You Read the Papers?)"|
|Composer(s)||Mark Hinton Stewart|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||6 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Kenton Allen
|Camera setup||Louise Edmunds|
|Running time||30 Mins|
|Production company(s)||BBC Vision Productions
Serious Entertainment Productions
|Original channel||BBC One|
|Original run||28 November 2008– 9 January 2009|
Parents of the Band is a 2008 British comedy television series, created by Jimmy Nail and Tarquin Gotch and shown on BBC One. The show stars Jimmy Nail, and is set around a teenage musical band, which each band member's parents are trying to manage.
The first episode aired on 28 November 2008 at 8:30pm on BBC One. On BBC One Scotland, and BBC One Northern Ireland however, the show aired at various times on Fridays. Each episode of Parents of the Band also aired in High-definition on BBC HD a week after its BBC One showing. The first episode received 2.61 million (11.2%) viewers. Episode 2 gained an additional 250,000 viewers, with 2.86m (12.7%). The final episode of series one aired on 9 January 2009.
As of January 2010, there has been no decision yet made as to whether a second series will be commissioned.
The six episode series was commissioned by Lucy Lumsden, BBC Controller, Comedy Commissioning. The show was a co-venture between BBC Vision Productions and Serious Entertainment Productions. The latter company is owned by the series co-creators, Jimmy Nail and Tarquin Gotch. The series was written by David Cummings, and the script was edited by the writing partners, Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais. The producer is Charlie Hanson and executive producer is Kenton Allen, BBC Creative Head of Comedy Talent and Comedy North.
Phil Parker (Nail) is the father of Jack (Lossaso), who is a drummer in a teen band with a number of his friends. Phil is recently separated from his wife Marketa (Young) and was in a 'one-hit wonder' band in the 1980s, with the song "I Cry". Jack and his band simply want to jam and have fun, but their parents are standing in the way, not because they disapprove, but because they also want to be a part of the rock-star lifestyle. Ultimately the band enter into a talent contest.
- Jimmy Nail: Phil Parker
- Peter Losasso: Jack Parker
- Nina Young: Marketa
- Cascade Brown: Shania
- Niky Wardley: Sandy Soutakis
- David Barseghian: Eddie Soutakis
- Lucinda Dryzek: Lucy Soutakis
- Nicola Hughes: Carmen Cunningham
- Colin McFarlane: Ashton Cunningham
- Franz Drameh: Granville Cunningham
- Michael Karim: Adi Kundra
- Geoffrey McGivern: Kipper Hitchcock
The first series which aired from 28 November 2008 to 9 January 2009 featured 6 episodes.
- "Sluggish start for new Nail comedy". Digital Spy. 30 November 2008. Retrieved 6 December 2008.
- "10m see Swash win 'I'm A Celebrity'". Digital Spy. 6 December 2008. Retrieved 6 December 2008.
- "Actor criticises "lack of promotion for sitcom"". This is Lincolnshire. 15 January 2009. Retrieved 18 January 2009.
- "Jimmy Nail returns to BBC One in Parents of the Band". BBC Press Office. 19 March 2008. Retrieved 28 November 2008.
- Parents of the Band at BBC Online
- Parents of the Band at BBC Programmes
- Parents of the Band at TV.com
- Parents of the Band at the Internet Movie Database
- Parents of the Band at the British Comedy Guide