|Plants of Parietaria judaica|
Parietaria judaica, with common names Spreading Pellitory or Pellitory of the wall, is a species of herbaceous perennial plant in the family Urticaceae, commonly nicknamed sticky-weed. The plant's pollen is highly allergenic. In Australia it is also known as asthma weed, due to the high incidence of allergy. It is unrelated to the herb pellitory (Anacyclus pyrethrum). It is easily confused with the very similar species Parietaria officinalis.
The biological form of Parietaria judaica is hemicryptophyte scapose, as its overwintering buds are situated just below the soil surface and the floral axis is more or less erect. This plant has pink or red hairy stems, woody at the base. It reaches on average a height of 60 centimetres (24 in). The leaves are hairy, alternate, simple, entire and green, with smooth margins. The tiny white or pink flowers are attached to the stems. They are bisexual or unisexual, produced in clusters of three to many together in the leaf axils. The nickname sticky-weed is due to the adherent quality of the flowers and of the hairy stems; unlike some related species of the family Urticaceae, the hairs do not sting. The flowering period extends from spring through autumn, when it produces large amounts of pollen. The fruits are blackish achenes.
Generally considered a weed, it is often found on roadsides, along the dry stone walls and in cracks of buildings. However, it is useful in a habitat garden as it is a larval food plant for red admiral butterflies. It is the host plant for the larvae of butterflies of the genus Vanessa. The ideal habitat is the dry places, at an altitude of 0–1,000 metres (0–3,281 ft) above sea level.
- "Parietaria judaica", The Plant List, retrieved 2013-11-02
- Sabine, S., et al. (2003). Identification of cross-reactive and genuine Parietaria judaica pollen allergens. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 111:5 974-9.
- Sydney Weeds
- Townsend, C. C. (1968). Parietaria officinalis and P. judaica. Watsonia 6:6
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Parietaria judaica.|
- USDA Plants Profile: Parietaria judaica (spreading pellitory)
- Jepson Manual Treatment: Parietaria judaica — invasive plant species
- Flora of North America
- GRIN Species Profile
- Parietaria judaica — U.C. Photo gallery
- Schede di bitanica