|Publisher||Hachette Filipacchi Médias|
|First issue||25 March 1949|
History and profile
In 1976 Daniel Filipacchi purchased the ailing Paris Match, and turned it into one of France's most successful and influential magazines. The magazine is published weekly and is now part of Hachette Filipacchi Médias, which is itself owned by the Lagardère Group.
On occasion, Paris Match has sold more than one million copies worldwide when covering major events such as the first flight by a French astronaut aboard the U.S. Space Shuttle in June 1985. Benoit Clair, a senior writer for Paris Match was the first journalist allowed to join the shuttle crew members from training until the departure for the launch pad at Cape Canaveral. A series of reports on the training was published in Paris Match on 22 April 1985, 17 June 1985 and 20 January 1986.
The 1988 circulation of the weekly was 873,000 copies, making it the most read news weekly in the country.
As of 1996 the magazine had an independent political stance.
In the period of 2001-2002 Paris Match was the tenth largest news magazine in the world with a circulation of 630,000 copies.
In popular culture
In Hergé's Tintin adventure The Castafiore Emerald (1963), reporters from the imaginary "Paris-Flash" magazine (a clear spoof on Paris Match, with a similar logo) play a major role in the plot's development. The magazine is satirized as sensationalist and inaccurate.
- "Historical development of the media in France". McGraw-Hill Education. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "Top 50 Finance/Business/News magazines worldwide (by circulation)" (Report). Magazine Organization. Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- Madjar, Robert (1997). Daniel Filipacchi. Editions Michel Lafon
- Baudry, Patrick (1985). "Aujourd'hui le soleil se lève 16 fois" avec Benoit Clair. Editions Michel Lafon.
- Peter Humphreys (15 May 1996). Mass Media and Media Policy in Western Europe. Manchester University Press. p. 88. ISBN 978-0-7190-3197-7. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- Paris Match official website (French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Paris Match.|