Parish church of Urtijëi
It was built in the years 1792–1796 in the Neoclassical style with some Baroque elements by the tyrolean master Joseph Abenthung and the interior domes painted by the Tyrolean brothers Franz Xaver and Josef Kirchebner. The structure of the church has the form of Latin cross with a central nave and two lateral chapels dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and to Our Lady of the Rosary.
The church contains a great number of sculptures, mostly in wood, carved by artists from Val Gardena, including Vigil Dorigo, Luis Kostner, Josef Moroder-Lusenberg, Anton Pitscheider and Franz Ruggaldier. In the corners of the presbytery there are four plaster statues, created by Johann Dominik Mahlknecht for this church but never cast in bronze, representing the four Evangelists.
The stained glass windows are a matching set, each one containing a roundel with the head of one of the Twelve Apostles.
Artists represented in the church include:
- Ferdinand Demetz
- Jakob Crepaz
- Anton Demetz
- de:Franz Xaver Kirchebner
- de:Johann Dominik Mahlknecht
- de:Josef Mersa
- Vinzenz Peristi
- Albin Pitscheider
- de:Ludwig Moroder
- de:Rudolf Moroder
- de:Johann Baptist Moroder-Lusenberg
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pfarrkirche St. Ulrich in Gröden.|
- Margareth Runggaldier Mahlknecht, Karl Mahlknecht. St. Ulrich in Gröden – Kirchen und Kirchengeschichte. Eine Text- und Bilddokumentation. Athesia Verlag Brixen 1992 (German)
- Artwork in the Parish church of Urtijëi
- Dome frescos by Franz Xaver Kirchebner
- Evangelists by J.D. Mahlknecht