Park View School (Washington, DC)
Park View School
|Location||3570 Warder Street, NW
|Architectural style||Gothic Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||13000213 |
|Added to NRHP||May 1, 2013|
Park View School is an historic structure located in the Park View neighborhood of Washington, D.C. The building was designed by architect Snowden Ashford in 1916. It was listed on the District of Columbia Inventory of Historic Sites on May 24, 2012, and added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 1, 2013. The school continues to serve the community as an elementary school.
The origin of the school can be traced back to the efforts of the Park View Citizens' Association and their persistent appeal to Congress for funds to purchase the land and build a school for their growing neighborhood. Ashford designed the school in his preferred style of Collegiate Gothic. Unusual for an elementary school, Ashford's design included a dedicated auditorium with a notable wooden truss that supports the auditorium roof.
Originally a 16 room structure, the school quickly became too small for the needs of the community. In 1920 the progressive platoon school model[further explanation needed] was adopted, unique in Washington, which helped address the school's space problem. In 1931, two new wings were added to the building to again provide room for the growing enrollment.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- It’s Official, HPRB Approves Park View School Designation as a D.C. Historic Site.Park View, D.C. blog.
- Park View School. National Register of Historic Places Program Web site, accessed June 2013.
- Park View Children Want New School. The Washington Times, August 31, 1913, p. 3.
- Platoon School Solves Lack of Space Problem. The Washington Post, January 11, 1925, p. AU6.
- Boese, Kent C., with Lauri Hafvenstein. Park View. Charleston, S.C.: Arcadia, 2011. p. 47.
|This Washington, D.C. school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|