|Ahmednagar district in Maharashtra|
|Major villages||Parner, Nighoj, Alkuti, Takali Dhokeshwar, Supe, Kanhur Pt.|
|• Tehsildar||J Valvi.|
|• Lok Sabha constituency||Ahmednagar (Lok Sabha constituency)|
|• Assembly constituency||Parner|
|• MLA||Vijayrao Auti|
|• Total||1,930 km2 (750 sq mi)|
|• Density||150/km2 (400/sq mi)|
|• Literacy rate||75.78%|
|• Sex ratio||1.01 ♂/♀|
- 1 Geography
- 2 Education
- 3 Religion
- 4 Places to Visit
- 5 Transportation
- 6 Agriculture
- 7 Climate
- 8 Notable people
- 9 See also
- 10 References
The following are area details:
|Type of Land||Area in km2||Area %|
The table below shows the population of the taluka by sex. The data is taken from the 2001 census.
|Population||% of Total Population||Number of Literate||Literacy (% of Population)|
For list of all villages in Parner Taluka, visit Villages in Parner taluka
The following are a few of the notable villages of Parner Taluka:
- Parner is the main city in the taluka.
- Pimpalgaon Rotha is 12 km from Kanhur. It is famous for Shree Kshetra Korthan Khandoba Devastan.
- Karegaon is a small village of approximately 550 people, situated on the west side of Parner Taluka, located 2.5 km from National Highway NH-222. The Shree Kareshwar temple is located here.
- Goregaon is a model village of around 5,000 people, developing under the guidance of Babasaheb Tambe.
- Takali Dhokeshwar is one of the biggest village in the taluka. Located on NH-222, Takli Dhokeshwar is also famous for Lord Shiva temple near Dhoki, Nagar Road.
- Ralegan Siddhi, is considered to be a model of environmental conservation.
- Shahajapur village is a village featuring between 50-60 windmills.
- Karjule Hareshwar is 26 km northwest of Parner City. It is famous for the Hareshwar Temple and Mandhol Dam.
- Rui Chhtrapti is a small village 7 km away from Supa.
- Randhe is famous for the Ambabai [Ambikadevi] Temple.
- Darodi is famous for the Charangeshwar Temple and Khandoba Temple.
- Lonimavala is famous for having a big wall around the village, which was constructed during the times of Chhatrapati Shivaji.
- Babulwade is famous for its Lord Shiva temple, which is situated on the mountain. They celebrate Yatra on Maha Shivaratri.
- Dhawalpuri is famous for the Durgadevi Temple and Fakirbaba Uruse.
- Bhoyare Gangarda is 8 km away from the Pune-Nagar Highway. It is surrounded by small mountains (Khindi) from all directions.
- Wadgaon Savtal is 30 km away from Parner City. It is famous for the Shree Datta Savtal Baba Temple.
- Kanhur Pathar features a marketplace and the Bhiravnath Temple.
- Kadus is a small village 6 km away from Supa, greatly surrounded by small mountains.
- Kakanewadi is a small village 3 km away from Takali, Dhokeshwar. It is famous for the Shri Ram Mandir and Someshwar Mandir.
- Kinhi is a small village 10 km from Parner Takali, Dhokeshwar. It is famous for the Shree Sadguru Omkar Baba Temple.
- Vesdare is a small village 3 km from Kanhur Pathar. It has a Bhairvnath temple and many other temples.
- Nandur Pathar is small village of about 2,500 people, located on the west side of Parner taluka. It is 4 km from NH-222.
- Katalwedha is a small village 7 km from Ane and Ek Mukhi. Datta is a famous temple there. They celebrate Yatra at Chaitra Purnima.
- Jawala is a village in Parner. Grapes and onions are grown there.
- Tikhol is a small village 8 km from Takali, Dhokeshwar. Mangoes are grown there.
Parner is famous for teachers. Many Parner-based teachers teach in schools from primary through college all over Maharashtra.
- Art, Science and Commerce College, Parner
- Shree Dhokeshwar Art and Science College, Takali Dhokeshwar
- Arts, Commerce And Science College, Alkuti
- Arts, Science and Commerce college, Takali Khatgaon
- Arts and Science Junior College, Dhawalpuri
- Shri Dhokeshwar Vidyalaya, Takali Dhokeshwar
- Shree Durgadevi Vidyalaya, Dhawalpuri
- Ashramshala, Dhawalpuri
- Shree Khandeswar Vidyalaya, Pimpalgaon Rotha, Kailas Dhome, Pimpalgaon Rotha
- Jai Malhar Vidyalaya, Pimpalgaon Rotha, Kailas Dhome, Pimpalgaon Rotha
- Adarshya Vidyalaya Nandur, Pathar, Ajit Ghule, Karegaon
- Shree Hareshwar Vidyalaya, Karjule Hareshwar, Ajit Ghule, Karegaon
- Janseva Vidyalay, Vadzire
- Goreshwar Madyamik Vidyalaya Goregaon
- Samrth Vidyalay, Pokhari, Yogesh Aher
- New English School & Jr. College, Parner
- Senapati Bapat Vidyalay, Parner
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Takali Dhokeshwar
- Shri Mulikadevi Vidya Mandir, Nighoj
- Nilobaray Vidhyalaya, Ralegan Siddhi
- Shri Sainath High School and Jr. College, Alkuti
- Shri Chhatrapati Shivaji Vidyalaya, Lonimavala
- Shri Dnyaneshwae Vidyalaya, Rui Chhtrapati
- Shri Bhairavnath Vidyalaya, Walwane
- Janata Vidya Mandir, Kanhur pathar
- Hanuman Vidhyalaya, Darodi
- Nutan Madhyamik Vidyalaya, Khadakwadi
- Shri Bhairavnath Vidyalaya, Kadus
- Pragat Vidyalay, Vankute
- Shri Kedareshwar Vidhyalay, Babhulwade
- Samarth Pidyalay Pokhari
- Adarsh Vidyalaya Palaspur (SIDDHU), Palaspur
- Shri Hanuman Vidyalay, Darodi
- Shri Dharmnath Vidyalay, Jawala
- Shri Bhusaheb Maharaj Shikshan Mandal Vasude, Ajit Ghule, Karegaon. Established in 1996.
- SAI Education Society (SES), Alkuti. Active from 2009–10.
- Samarth Computech, Parner. 1st. Computer Training Institute. Established 15 July 1997.
- Shree Hareshwar Education Society, Karjule Hareshwar
- Shri Bhairavnath Shikshan Prasarak Mandal, Walwane
The following are some notable temples in Parner:
- Mahashivrastri Mohostov-Kareshwar, Pimpalgaon Rotha, Ajit Ghule, Karegaon
- Korthan Khandoba Temple, Pimpalgaon Rotha, Ajit Ghule, Karegaon
- एक मुखी दत्त Temple, Katalwedha, Subhash Trimbak Gund
- Goreshawr Mandir and Ambika Devi Mandir,Goreshwar patsanstha
- Shri Rangdas Swami Temple, Pokhari village, Arvind Chaure
- Shri Durgamata Temple, Dhavalpuri village, Kiran Darekar
- Malganga Devi Temple, Karandi village
- Jagdamba Devi Temple, Devibhoyare, famous for the Vijayadashami (Dasara) festival
- Malabai Devi Temple, Nighoj (also known as Kundmauli).
- Daryabai Temple, Vadgaon Darya
- Dhokeshwar Temple, Takali Dhokeshwar is a temple famous for being near a hillside cave. It is believed that the temple was built about 1000 AD.
- Nageshwar, Sidheswar, and Bhairavnath Mandir Temples, Parner
- Shree Hareshwar Temple, Karjule Hareshwar
- Bhairavnath Temple, Punewadi
- Bhairavnath Temple, Lonimawala
- Shri Anchaleshwar Temple, Ganjibhoyare
- shri dharmnath Temple, jawala.
- Saymbhu Kedareshwar Temple, Babhulwade
- Bhairavnath Temple, Walavane famous for Chaitra Yatra, Kalashtami Mahostav
- Lord Shiva Temple. A festival is held here every year during Shravan.
- Shree Datta Savtal Baba Temple, Wadgaon Savtal is located in the forest, 2 km from Panar
- Bhairavnath Tample, Alkuti
- Shri Hanuman Mandir, Alkuti, Parandwal Mala
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Smarak, Parner
- Vitthal-Rukhmini Mandir, Randhe, Vitthalwadi
- Charageshwar Tample, Darodi
- Khandoba Temple, Kamatwadi, Nawsala Pawanara Deo
- Kadus Temple, Bhairwnath
- Shree Ganesh Mandir, Ghat Ganpati, Navsacha Pokhari
- Swayambhu Shree Sangmeswara, Triveni Sangam and Shree Dakshin
- Mukhi Hanuman Mandir, Padali Ale
- Shiri Sidheshwar Temple, Shirapur
- Bhagvati Devi Temple, Palaspur
- Muktabai Temple, Tikhol, Datta Thange
- Bhiravnath Mandir, Padali Tarfe Kahnur, Dawbhat Mala
- Jai Mahalaxmi Mandir, Dawbhat Mala, Sumbe Devidas
- Dr. Hume Memorial Church, Parner. Located near the Magistrate office. Founded by American Marathi Missionary Dr. Allen Robert Hume in 1857.
- Hazart Bahoddin Durgah, Darodi. Worshiped by Muslim and Hindus. Here two Urs-e-Sharif festivals are held yearly.
- Hazarat Abbdulshaha and Nurshaha Baba, Darga, situated at Goregaon
Places to Visit
Notable geographic locations in Parner include the following:
- Bhandara Dongar, a hill near to Korthn Kandoba Devastan that is the highest point in Parner
- Chintamani Hill, Pokhari Khaner (Bhiyla Dongar)
- Mandohol Dam, Karjule Hareshwar
- Pot Holes, Nighoj
- Lawan Stambha, Vadgaon Darya
- Siddheshwar Waterfall, Siddheshwar Temple
- Nagarnali, Pokhari Ariya
- Shahajapur windmill village
- Siddheshwar temple, Shirapur.
The nearest railway station is Ahmednagar, about 40 kilometers away.
Farming is the main source of income for many residents. Some of the main crops produced include the following:
The climate of Parner is moderate, with variations in temperature ranging between 16°C and 35°C.
The following chart details the amount of rainfall per year from 1981–2004.
|Year||Rainfall (in mm)|
- Senapati Pandurang Mahadev Bapat (1880–1967) was a revolutionary and an Indian freedom fighter. He was born in Parner village.
- Anna Hazare, is an Indian social activist who is especially recognized for his contribution to the development of Ralegan Siddhi, a village in Ahmednagar district, Maharashtra, and his efforts for establishing it as a model village. He was awarded the Padma Bhushan by the government of India in 1992. He is also one of the leading figures who championed the Right to Information Act in India, and is known for his crusade towards fighting corruption in public offices.