Parokya ni Edgar
|Parokya ni Edgar|
Parokya ni Edgar at a live performance
|Origin||Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines|
|Genres||OPM, Pinoy rock, comedy rock, pop rock, alternative rock, funk, rap rock, experimental, ska punk|
Apo Hiking Society
Gab Chee Kee
|Past members||Vinci Montaner|
Parokya ni Edgar (English translation: Edgar's Parish) is a multi-award winning Filipino band that was formed in 1993 by a group of college students. The band is famous and most lauded for its original rock novelty songs and often satirical covers of popular songs. The band has since transcended musical genres, varying styles from one song to another - alternative rock to pop rock, funk to rapcore, and so on - while providing comic relief to their listeners. Despite having "Edgar" in the band's name, none of the members go by it.
- 1 History
- 2 Activism
- 3 Band members
- 4 Discography
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 Other media
- 7 See also
- 8 References
Before Parokya ni Edgar
Naming themselves Comic Relief, the band originally consisted of three vocalists – Chito Miranda, Jeric Estaco, and Vinci Montaner, and two guitarists - Mikko Yap and Gab Chee Kee. They regularly played in after-school jam sessions, before performing an opening number for an Eraserheads concert. This served as their break into the local music scene and prompted them to add a drummer and a bassist – schoolmate Dindin Moreno and Buwi Meneses, respectively. The same performance also marked the change of the band's name to Parokya ni Edgar. After high school, Mikko and Jeric decided to withdraw from the band to pursue other interests. As a replacement, the remaining band members invited their friend guitarist Darius Semaña (lead guitar) to their fold.
Parokya ni Edgar
The name Parokya Ni Edgar came from a class joke by Jeric Estaco recited in one of their classes in high school. Sources state that the class subject was Filipino, and it all started when the teacher asked him where the father of Jose Rizal's fictional hero, Crisostomo Ibarra (in the novel Noli Me Tangere), was educated. It was said that Jeric answered the teacher with the daft remark "sa Parokya ni Edgar". However up to now, the exact background behind this is unknown.
In the early 1990s, the band started performing regularly in Club Dredd, one of the famous clubs in Manila during that time. The band slowly gained popularity during the height of the Filipino rock explosion, with the local rock community opening up to the influence of foreign grunge acts such as Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden.
Eventually, the late managing director of Universal Records, Bella Dy Tan, signed them as contract artists after witnessing one of their performances at Club Dredd.
Soon their initial recordings such as Buloy, Trip and Lutong Bahay were heard across Philippines through radio stations. Their first album, Khangkhungkherrnitz became a triple platinum hit in the Philippines having sold 120,000 units. The other 3 albums include Buruguduystunstugudunstuy (triple platinum), Jingle Balls Silent Night Holy Cow (gold), and Gulong Itlog Gulong (triple platinum).
They recently released their 8th studio album, Middle-Aged Juvenile Novelty Pop Rockers in 2010 with the carrier single "Paki-usap Lang (Lasingin Nyo Ako)". Parokya ni Edgar is also often referred to as the "Banda ng Bayan" [The Band of the Nation], a nickname they share with Rivermaya.
In 2012, the band released their 2nd live album Inuman Sessions Vol. 2 which is a follow up to their Inuman Sessions Vol. 1 released in 2004. This album mostly contains live versions of their second batch of singles. Tatlong Araw, Your Song and Alumni Homecoming were performed although these tracks were released from albums prior to Vol. 1. Mang Jose is performed as well in this album which also appears in the first live album. Artists featured on this were Yeng Constantino, Kamikazee, Gloc 9, Miggy Chavez of the band Chicosci, and the son of the late Francis M, Frank Magalona. This is also the last album released by Parokya ni Edgar with Vinci Montaner on it.
In 2013, Parokya ni Edgar launched their latest album Bente celebrating their 20th Anniversary of the Pinoy rock band scene and thus gained the moniker as arguably the "Pambansang Banda ng Pilipinas" [National Band of the Philippines]. It was also the first time Vinci Montaner reunited on their cover album and was eventually present on the event. It is PNE's 13th full length album in total. The same year, the band also celebrated their 20 years of Pambansang Banda ng Pilipinas.
In 2014, Parokya was finally awarded as MYX Magna Award Winner 2014 in the recent MYX Music Awards 2014 last March 26, marking the band's 20th Year Anniversary in 2013, and also achieving their alternative rock music excellence in rock music industry. They're the 2nd OPM rock band being the MYX Magna Award Winner after Eraserheads in 2009.
Parokya joined PETA's Free Mali campaign in 2013. "Mali has been sentenced to a miserable life of solitary confinement with absolutely nothing to do day after day, year after year,' says lead vocalist Chito Miranda. 'Scientists, politicians, religious leaders, and tens of thousands of other concerned people have joined PETA in calling for Mali to be freed. We in Parokya ni Edgar do, too. Even if the elephant exhibit at the Manila Zoo were to be doubled or tripled in size, it would still not be adequate to house one elephant, never mind additional ones. While zoos around the world have spent upwards of 2 billion pesos on attempts at more appropriately sized elephant exhibits, more and more zoos have recognized that the needs of these complex and intelligent animals cannot be met in captivity.' "These facilities are transferring elephants to sanctuaries and closing their exhibits. The Detroit Zoo, the ZSL London Zoo, the Greater Vancouver Zoo, and the San Francisco Zoo are just a few of the zoos around the world that are closing their elephant exhibits and transferring the elephants to sanctuaries. Mali has received essentially no veterinary care for more than 36 years, leaving her to endure constant pain from debilitating foot problems. In addition, elephants are highly social animals who naturally live in herds and suffer greatly in the absence of other elephants. Mali is all alone, making her transfer even more urgent." 
- Alfonso "Chito" Miranda, Jr. (lead vocals)
- Buhawi "Buwi" Meneses (bass guitar)
- Darius Gerard "Dar" Semaña (lead guitar)
- Gabriel Ignatius "Gab" Chee Kee (rhythm guitar / vocals)
- Ferdinand "Dindin" Moreno (drums)
- Francis Vincent "Vinci" Montaner (backup vocals / monologue / live comic relief) – left the band for personal reasons. He announced his exit last October 14, 2012 through the band's official page on Facebook with lots of fans giving him their support. His last gig with the band was on September 2012 at 70's Bistro. His former band mates respected his decision and they parted ways on good terms. This marks the second time that Montaner left the group. Montaner left the band to attend school in 2005 and later rejoined them in the making of their album, Solid, released in 2007. Montaner briefly reunited with the band in 2013 in a one night only appearance during the launching date of PNE's recent album Bente.
- Khangkhungkherrnitz (1996)
- Buruguduystunstugudunstuy (1997)
- Gulong Itlog Gulong (1999)
- Edgar Edgar Musikahan (2002)
- Bigotilyo (2003)
- Halina Sa Parokya (2005)
- Solid (Parokya ni Edgar album) (2007)
- Middle-Aged Juvenile Novelty Pop Rockers (2010)
- Bente (2013)
- Jingle Balls Silent Night Holy Cow (1998)
- Matira Matibay: PG-13 (Singles 1994-2007) (2007)
- Inuman Sessions Vol. 1 (2004)
- Inuman Sessions Vol. 2 (2012)
- Matira Matibay: PG-13 "Singles 1994-2007" DVD (2007)
- Inuman sessions VOL.2 DVD (2012)
- Akustic Natin (Universal Records, 2004)
- Akustic Natin Vol. 2 (Universal Records, 2004)
- The Best of OPM Acoustic Hits (Universal Records, 2005)
- The Best of OPM Love Ballads (Universal Records, 2005)
- Pinoy Ako (Star Records, 2005)
- OPM Superstars Christmas (Universal Records, 2005)
- Superbands (Universal Records, 2005)
- Kami nAPO muna (Universal Records, 2006)
- OPM Gold Christmas Album (Universal Records, 2006)
- The Biggest OPM Hits of The Year SUPER (Universal Records, 2006)
- Bandang Pinoy, Lasang Hotdog (Sony Music Philippines, Repackaged 2006)
- Kami nAPO muna ulit (Universal Records, 2007)
- Pinoy Biggie Hits Rewind (Star Records, 2007)
- Level Up: The Album (Star Records, 2007)
- OPM Platinum Christmas (Universal Records, 2007)
- Another Biggest OPM Hits of The Year SUPER 2 (Universal Records, 2007)
- Pinoy Biggie Hits Vol. 3 (Star Records, 2007)
- Astig...The Biggest Band Hits (Universal Records, 2008)
- Harana: OPM's Biggest Hits In Guitar (Ivory Music, 2009)
- I-Star 15: The Best Of Alternative & Rock Songs (Star Records, 2010)
- A Perfectly Acoustic Experience (PolyEast Records, 2011)
- "Maniwala Ka Sana"
- "Lutong Bahay"
- "Nakaw ang Wallet Ko"
- "!Oka Tokat" (TV theme song for the same title as well as the second part being the remake of Andrew E.'s Humanap Ka ng Panget)
- "Picha Pie"
- "Inuman Na"
- "Wag Mo Na Sana"
- "Swimming Beach"
- "Sorry Na"
- "This Guy's In Love With You Pare"
- "Mr. Suave"
- "The Yes Yes Show"
- "Alumni Homecoming"
- "Choco Latte"
- "First Day Funk" (commercial ad jingle for Rexona)
- "Mang Jose"
- "Bagsakan" (feat. Francis M and Gloc-9)
- "Para Sa 'Yo"
- "Hosanna Ngayong Pasko"
- "Papa Cologne"
- "The Ordertaker"
- "Iisa Lang"
- "Your Song (My One and Only You)"
- "Halina sa Parokya"
- "Pumapatak ang Ulan" (cover of the APO Hiking Society song)
- "Beh! Buti Nga!" (cover of the Hotdog song)
- "American Junk" (feat. Kamikazee) (cover of the APO Hiking Society song)
- "Nescafe" (commercial ad jingle for Nescafe)
- "Boys Do Fall in Love" (cover of the Robin Gibb song)
- "Lastikman" (TV theme song for the same title)
- "Iisang Sarap" (commercial ad jingle for Jollibee)
- "I-Bulsarap!" (commercial ad jingle for Mang Tomas All-Around Sarsa)
- "Panday Kids" (TV theme song for the same title)
- "Pakiusap Lang (Lasingin Nyo Ako)"
- "Pangarap Lang Kita" (feat. Happee Sy)
- "One Hit Combo" (feat. Gloc-9)
- "Panahon Na Naman ng Harana" (Chito Miranda with Rico Blanco)
- "Ang Parokya" (feat. Gloc-9 & Frank Magalona)
Parokya ni Edgar is also known for parodying songs of famous singers and bands.
- Trip from "Creep" by Radiohead
- Alimango from "Animal" by Pearl Jam
- The Crush (Bakit Ang Pangit Pangit Mo?) from The Clash's song "Should I Stay or Should I Go"
- Papa Cologne from "Lança Perfume" by Rita Lee
- Picha Pie from "I Will Survive" by Cake (Originally by Gloria Gaynor)
- Chikinini from "Banal Na Aso, Santong Kabayo" by Yano
- Nakaw ang Wallet Ko from "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" by Guns N' Roses (originally by Bob Dylan)
- The Ordertaker from a mashup of "Chop Suey" and "Toxicity" by System of a Down
- Macho from "Macho Man" by Village People
- Tange from "The Popeye Theme"
- Celfone Wallet from the "Seiko Wallet Jingle"
- Pedro, Basura Man from "The Popeye Theme"
Awards and nominations
- Won: Best Novelty Recording - "Don't Touch My Birdie" (1999)
- Won: Best TV Theme Song - "!Oka Tokat" (1999)
- Won: Best Alternative Recording - "Inuman Na" (2000)
- Won: Best Album Package - Edgar Edgar Musikahan (2003)
- Won: Best Novelty Recording - "This Guy's In Love With You Pare" (2003)
- Won: Best Performance By a Duo or Group Recording Artist - "Mr.Suave" (2004)
- Won: Record of the Year -"Mr.Suave" (2004)
- Won: Music Video Performance - "Mr.Suave" (2004)
- Won: Best Novelty Recording - "Mr.Suave" (2004)
- Won: Best Rap Recording - "The Yes Yes Show" (2004)
- Won: Best Ballad Recording - "Pangarap Lang Kita" (Feat. Happy Sy) (2011)
- Won: Best Collaboration - "Pangarap Lang Kita" (Feat. Happy Sy) (2011)
- Won: Best Performance By A Group - "Paki-usap Lang" (2011)
- Won: Best Song Of The Year - "Paki-usap Lang" (2011)
- Nominated: Album of the Year - Khangkhungkherrnitz (1996)
- Nominated: Best New Group (1996)
- Nominated: Best Rock Performance (1996)
- Nominated: Best Soundtrack - "Lastikman (Walang Susuko)" from Lastikman (2008)
- Won: Best New Artist (1996)
- Won: Best Live Act (1996)
- Won: Song of the Year - "Don't Touch My Birdie" (1998)
- Won: Best Album Packaging - Buruguduystunstugudunstuy (1998)
- Won: Artist of the Year (1999)
- Won: Bassist of the Year - Buhawi Meneses (1999)
- Won: Artist of the Year (2000)
- Won: Best Album Packaging - Edgar Edgar Musikahan (2002)
- Won: Artist of the Year (2003)
- Won: Favorite Artist Philippines (2004)
- Won: International Viewer's Choice Award for MTV Southeast Asia - "Harana" (1999)
- Won: MYX Magna Award 2014
- Won: Favorite Group (2014)
- Won: Favorite MYX Live! Performance (2012)
- Won: Favorite Guest Appearance in a Music Video for JM De Guzman "Pangarap Lang Kita"
- Won: Favorite Collaboration - "One Hit Combo" (feat. Gloc9) (2012)
- Won: Favorite Artist (2012)
- Won: Favorite Song - "Pangarap Lang Kita" (feat. Happee Sy) (2012)
- Won: Favorite Group (2012)
- Won: Favorite Group (2011)
- Nominated: Favorite Song- "Pakiusap Lang (Lasingin Nyo Ako)" (2011)
- Nominated: Favorite MYX Celebrity VJ (2011)
- Nominated: Favorite Remake - "Macho" (2009)
- Nominated: Favorite MYX Celebrity VJ (2008)
- Nominated: Favorite Rock Music Video - "The Ordertaker" (2007)
- Nominated: Favorite Collaboration - "The Ordertaker" w/ Kamikazee (2007)
- Nominated: Favorite Music Video - "Mang Jose" (2006)
- Nominated: Favorite Rock Music Video - "Mang Jose" (2006)
- Nominated: Favorite MYX Live Performance - (2006)
- Nominated: Favorite Media Soundtrack - "First Day Funk" (2006)
- Won: Band Of The Year (2012)
DWLS FM (now Barangay LS 97.1)
- Won: New OPM Artist of The Year (1996)
Guillermo Memorial Foundation
- Won: Best Group (2000)
1st Philippine Radio Music Awards
- Won: Best Alternative Group (2009)
- Nominated: Favorite Musical Act (2008)
- Nominated: Best Rock Band (2008)
- Nominated: Best Song Revival - "Boys Do Fall In Love" (2008)
- Nominated: Favorite Vocalist - Chito Miranda (2008)
- Nominated: Best Favorite Band of The Year (2008)
- Nominated: Best Pop Band (2007)
- Nominated: Best Pop Band (2008)
- Bertie Botts' Every Flavour Beans (For "Harry Potter" Fans)
- Buddy Crackers (Mas Yummy!)
- Jollibee ("Bida ang Saya!")
- Mang Tomas All-Around Sarsa
- Maggi Magic Sarap
- Manila Beer
- Mitsubishi Adventure
- Nescafe Coffee
- Oral-B ToothBrush & ToothPaste
- Palmolive Naturals
- Pixie Dust (Donor: Tinker Bell)
- Rexona Deodorant
- San Miguel Beer
- Tanduay Rhum T5 2011
- Touch Mobile (Republika ng TM)
- Trust Family Condom
- Uniqlo Clothing
Magazine cover appearances
- MYX Magazine (2007–present)
- Banda Magazine (2005–present)
- Pulp Magazine (2000–present)
- "Parokya ni Edgar". Parokyaband.com. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- "Parokya Ni Edgar Pinoy Banda Page | Free | Downloads | Streaming Videos | Layouts". Pinoybanda.com. 2007-06-04. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- "Parokya Ni Edgar - Wow! Celebrities". Celebritiesph.com. 2007-02-16. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- Montaner, Vinci (October 14, 2012). "Hi! Sorry! I have...". Parokya ni Edgar Facebook Fan Page. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
- Miranda, Chito Jr. "Yup. It's true :)". Parokya ni Edgar Facebook Fan Page. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
- "Vinci Montaner leaves Parokya Ni Edgar". Radio Republic. October 14, 2012. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
|NU Rock Awards
Best New Artist