Parokya ni Edgar
|Parokya ni Edgar|
Parokya ni Edgar at a live performance
|Origin||Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines|
|Genres||OPM, Pinoy rock, comedy rock, pop rock, alternative rock, funk, rap rock, experimental, ska punk|
Apo Hiking Society
Gab Chee Kee
|Past members||Vinci Montaner|
Parokya ni Edgar (English translation: Edgar's Parish) is a multi-award winning Filipino band formed in 1993. The band is famous and most lauded for its original rock novelty songs and often satirical covers of popular songs both foreign and local. The band has since transcended musical genres, varying styles from one song to another - alternative rock to pop rock, funk to rapcore - while providing comic relief.
Parokya ni Edgar has been referred to by local media as "Pambansang Banda ng Pilipinas" [The National Band of the Philippines], a nickname they share with Eraserheads.
Despite having "Edgar" in the band's name, none of the members go by it.
- 1 History
- 2 Activism
- 3 Band members
- 4 Discography
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 Other media
- 7 See also
- 8 References
Before Parokya ni Edgar
Originally named Comic Relief, the band's initial members were vocalists Chito Miranda, Jeric Estaco, and Vinci Montaner, and guitarists Mikko Yap and Gab Chee Kee. They were regulars in after-school jam sessions, before performing an opening number for an Eraserheads concert. This served as their break in the music industry and prompted them to add a drummer and bassist – schoolmate Dindin Moreno and Buwi Meneses, respectively. Around the same time they changed the band's name to Parokya ni Edgar. After high school, Mikko and Jeric withdrew from the band to pursue other interests. Soon after, the remaining band members invited their friend Darius Semaña (lead guitar) to take the role of lead guitar.
Parokya ni Edgar
The name Parokya Ni Edgar came from a joke by Jeric Estaco during one of their high school classes. Sources state that the class subject was Filipino. The teacher asked Estaco where the father of Jose Rizal's fictional hero, Crisostomo Ibarra (in the novel Noli Me Tangere), was educated. It was said that Jeric answered with the daft remark "sa Parokya ni Edgar". However, the exact origin is still unknown.
In the 90's, PNE became regular performers in Club Dredd, a popular club in Manila at the time. The band slowly gained popularity during the height of the Filipino rock explosion, with the local rock community welcoming the influence of foreign grunge acts such as Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden.
Eventually, the late managing director of Universal Records, Bella Dy Tan, signed them as contract artists after witnessing one of their Club Dredd performances.
Soon, their initial recordings Buloy, Trip and Lutong Bahay gained radio airplay. Their first album, Khangkhungkherrnitz(1996) became a triple platinum hit in the Philippines, having sold 120,000 units. The next albums were equal successes - Buruguduystunstugudunstuy (1997) was awarded triple platinum, Jingle Balls Silent Night Holy Cow (1998) with gold, and Gulong Itlog Gulong (1999) with triple platinum.
After a 5 year break, they released their junior studio album "Edgar Edgar Musikahan" in 2002. This included the single "Halaga", one of the most popular songs in their career. "Halaga" was such a hit in the country that it further boosted PNE's career, cementing their name into OPM history.
Shortly after, in 2003 they released the studio album "Bigotilyo", with the single "Mr. Suave". The single was just as popular as it's predecessors and stayed on the music charts for more than a year. The catchy melody and tune were so widely known that even commercials and voting campaigns used it.
2004 was the year of release of "Inuman Session Vol. 1", PNE's first compilation DVD album celebrating their 11th year anniversary. The DVD showcases the band's prerecorded live studio performance of their hit songs to a selected audience. The DVD album met success in sales nationwide.
They released their 8th studio album, Middle-Aged Juvenile Novelty Pop Rockers in 2010 with the single "Paki-usap Lang (Lasingin Nyo Ako)". The album was met with moderate success in both charts and sales. During this time, Parokya ni Edgar's also often referred to as the "Banda ng Bayan" [The Band of the Nation], a nickname they share with Rivermaya.
The following year, PNE released their 2nd compilation DVD album Inuman Sessions Vol. 2 - a follow up to their Inuman Sessions Vol. 1. Later that same year, Montaner officially left the band on good terms with both the members and staff.
2013 marked PNE's 20th anniversary in the OPM industry. The band launched their 13th album Bente as commemoration, and as this was a milestone, Vinci Montaner temporarily reunited with the band for the album's cover art and during the album signings.
In 2014, Parokya was awarded MYX Magna Award Winner 2014 in the MYX Music Awards commemorating their 20th anniversary and alternative rock music excellence in the OPM industry. This is considered one of PNE's greatest achievements as they are 2nd to receive the award after Eraserheads in 2009.
Parokya joined PETA's Free Mali campaign in 2013. "Mali has been sentenced to a miserable life of solitary confinement with absolutely nothing to do day after day, year after year,' says lead vocalist Chito Miranda. 'Scientists, politicians, religious leaders, and tens of thousands of other concerned people have joined PETA in calling for Mali to be freed. We in Parokya ni Edgar do, too. Even if the elephant exhibit at the Manila Zoo were to be doubled or tripled in size, it would still not be adequate to house one elephant, never mind additional ones. While zoos around the world have spent upwards of 2 billion pesos on attempts at more appropriately sized elephant exhibits, more and more zoos have recognized that the needs of these complex and intelligent animals cannot be met in captivity.' 
- Alfonso "Chito" Miranda, Jr. (lead vocals)
- Buhawi "Buwi" Meneses (bass guitar)
- Darius Gerard "Dar" Semaña (lead guitar)
- Gabriel Ignatius "Gab" Chee Kee (rhythm guitar / vocals)
- Ferdinand "Dindin" Moreno (drums)
- Francis Vincent "Vinci" Montaner (backup vocals / occasional percussion / monologue / live comic relief)
– left the band for personal reasons. He announced his departure on October 14, 2012 through the band's official page on Facebook with lots of fans giving him their support. His last gig with the band was in September 2012 at 70's Bistro. His former band mates respected his decision and they parted ways on good terms. This marks the second time that Montaner left the group. Montaner left the band to attend school in 2005 and later rejoined them in the making of their album, Solid, released in 2007. Montaner briefly reunited with the band in 2013 in a one night only appearance during the launching date of PNE's recent album Bente.
- Khangkhungkherrnitz (1996)
- Buruguduystunstugudunstuy (1997)
- Jingle Balls Silent Night Holy Cow (1998)
- Gulong Itlog Gulong (1999)
- Edgar Edgar Musikahan (2002)
- Bigotilyo (2003)
- Halina Sa Parokya (2005)
- Solid (Parokya ni Edgar album) (2007)
- Middle-Aged Juvenile Novelty Pop Rockers (2010)
- Jingle Balls Silent Night Holy Cow (1998)mate
- Matira Matibay: PG-13 (Singles 1994-2007) (2007)
- Bente (2013)
- Inuman Sessions Vol. 1 (2004)
- Inuman Sessions Vol. 2 (2012)
- Matira Matibay: PG-13 "Singles 1994-2007" DVD (2007)
- Inuman sessions VOL.2 DVD (2012)
- Akustic Natin (Universal Records, 2004)
- Akustic Natin Vol. 2 (Universal Records, 2004)
- The Best of OPM Acoustic Hits (Universal Records, 2005)
- The Best of OPM Love Ballads (Universal Records, 2005)
- Pinoy Ako (Star Records, 2005)
- OPM Superstars Christmas (Universal Records, 2005)
- Superbands (Universal Records, 2005)
- Kami nAPO muna (Universal Records, 2006)
- OPM Gold Christmas Album (Universal Records, 2006)
- The Biggest OPM Hits of The Year SUPER (Universal Records, 2006)
- Bandang Pinoy, Lasang Hotdog (Sony Music Philippines, Repackaged 2006)
- Kami nAPO muna ulit (Universal Records, 2007)
- Pinoy Biggie Hits Rewind (Star Records, 2007)
- Level Up: The Album (Star Records, 2007)
- OPM Platinum Christmas (Universal Records, 2007)
- Another Biggest OPM Hits of The Year SUPER 2 (Universal Records, 2007)
- Pinoy Biggie Hits Vol. 3 (Star Records, 2007)
- Astig...The Biggest Band Hits (Universal Records, 2008)
- Harana: OPM's Biggest Hits In Guitar (Ivory Music, 2009)
- I-Star 15: The Best Of Alternative & Rock Songs (Star Records, 2010)
- A Perfectly Acoustic Experience (PolyEast Records, 2011)
- "Maniwala Ka Sana"
- "Lutong Bahay"
- "Nakaw ang Wallet Ko"
- "!Oka Tokat" (TV theme song for the same title as well as the second part being the remake of Andrew E.'s Humanap Ka ng Panget)
- "Picha Pie"
- "Inuman Na"
- "Wag Mo Na Sana"
- "Swimming Beach"
- "Sorry Na"
- "This Guy's In Love With You Pare"
- "Mr. Suave"
- "The Yes Yes Show"
- "Alumni Homecoming"
- "Choco Latte"
- "First Day Funk" (commercial ad jingle for Rexona)
- "Mang Jose"
- "Bagsakan" (feat. Francis M and Gloc-9)
- "Para Sa 'Yo"
- "Hosanna Ngayong Pasko"
- "Papa Cologne"
- "The Ordertaker"
- "Iisa Lang"
- "Your Song (My One and Only You)"
- "Halina sa Parokya"
- "Pumapatak ang Ulan" (cover of the APO Hiking Society song)
- "Beh! Buti Nga!" (cover of the Hotdog song)
- "American Junk" (feat. Kamikazee) (cover of the APO Hiking Society song)
- "Nescafe" (commercial ad jingle for Nescafe)
- "Boys Do Fall in Love" (cover of the Robin Gibb song)
- "Lastikman" (TV theme song for the same title)
- "Iisang Sarap" (commercial ad jingle for Jollibee)
- "I-Bulsarap!" (commercial ad jingle for Mang Tomas All-Around Sarsa)
- "Panday Kids" (TV theme song for the same title)
- "Pakiusap Lang (Lasingin Nyo Ako)"
- "Pangarap Lang Kita" (feat. Happee Sy)
- "One Hit Combo" (feat. Gloc-9)
- "Panahon Na Naman ng Harana" (Chito Miranda with Rico Blanco)
- "Ang Parokya" (feat. Gloc-9 & Frank Magalona)
- "Salamat Po"
Parody and Samples
Parokya ni Edgar is also known for parodying songs of famous singers and bands.
- Trip from "Creep" by Radiohead
- Alimango from "Animal" by Pearl Jam
- The Crush (Bakit Ang Pangit Pangit Mo?) from The Clash's song "Should I Stay or Should I Go"
- Papa Cologne from "Lança Perfume" by Rita Lee
- Picha Pie from "I Will Survive" by Cake (Originally by Gloria Gaynor)
- Chikinini from "Banal Na Aso, Santong Kabayo" by Yano
- Nakaw ang Wallet Ko from "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" by Guns N' Roses (originally by Bob Dylan)
- The Ordertaker from a mashup of "Chop Suey" and "Toxicity" by System of a Down
- Macho from "Macho Man" by Village People
- Tange from "The Popeye Theme"
- Celfone Wallet from the "Seiko Wallet Jingle"
- Pedro, Basura Man from "The Popeye Theme"
- Bagsakan from Keltscross song "Pollux Diving"
Awards and nominations
- Won: Best Novelty Recording - "Don't Touch My Birdie" (1999)
- Won: Best TV Theme Song - "!Oka Tokat" (1999)
- Won: Best Alternative Recording - "Inuman Na" (2000)
- Won: Best Album Package - Edgar Edgar Musikahan (2003)
- Won: Best Novelty Recording - "This Guy's In Love With You Pare" (2003)
- Won: Best Performance By a Duo or Group Recording Artist - "Mr.Suave" (2004)
- Won: Record of the Year -"Mr.Suave" (2004)
- Won: Music Video Performance - "Mr.Suave" (2004)
- Won: Best Novelty Recording - "Mr.Suave" (2004)
- Won: Best Rap Recording - "The Yes Yes Show" (2004)
- Won: Best Ballad Recording - "Pangarap Lang Kita" (Feat. Happy Sy) (2011)
- Won: Best Collaboration - "Pangarap Lang Kita" (Feat. Happy Sy) (2011)
- Won: Best Performance By A Group - "Paki-usap Lang" (2011)
- Won: Best Song Of The Year - "Paki-usap Lang" (2011)
- Nominated: Album of the Year - Khangkhungkherrnitz (1996)
- Nominated: Best New Group (1996)
- Nominated: Best Rock Performance (1996)
- Nominated: Best Soundtrack - "Lastikman (Walang Susuko)" from Lastikman (2008)
- Won: Best New Artist (1996)
- Won: Best Live Act (1996)
- Won: Song of the Year - "Don't Touch My Birdie" (1998)
- Won: Best Album Packaging - Buruguduystunstugudunstuy (1998)
- Won: Artist of the Year (1999)
- Won: Bassist of the Year - Buhawi Meneses (1999)
- Won: Artist of the Year (2000)
- Won: Best Album Packaging - Edgar Edgar Musikahan (2002)
- Won: Artist of the Year (2003)
- Won: Favorite Artist Philippines (2004)
- Won: International Viewer's Choice Award for MTV Southeast Asia - "Harana" (1999)
- Won: MYX Magna Award 2014
- Won: Favorite Group (2014)
- Won: Favorite MYX Live! Performance (2012)
- Won: Favorite Guest Appearance in a Music Video for JM De Guzman "Pangarap Lang Kita"
- Won: Favorite Collaboration - "One Hit Combo" (feat. Gloc9) (2012)
- Won: Favorite Artist (2012)
- Won: Favorite Song - "Pangarap Lang Kita" (feat. Happee Sy) (2012)
- Won: Favorite Group (2012)
- Won: Favorite Group (2011)
- Nominated: Favorite Song- "Pakiusap Lang (Lasingin Nyo Ako)" (2011)
- Nominated: Favorite MYX Celebrity VJ (2011)
- Nominated: Favorite Remake - "Macho" (2009)
- Nominated: Favorite MYX Celebrity VJ (2008)
- Nominated: Favorite Rock Music Video - "The Ordertaker" (2007)
- Nominated: Favorite Collaboration - "The Ordertaker" w/ Kamikazee (2007)
- Nominated: Favorite Music Video - "Mang Jose" (2006)
- Nominated: Favorite Rock Music Video - "Mang Jose" (2006)
- Nominated: Favorite MYX Live Performance - (2006)
- Nominated: Favorite Media Soundtrack - "First Day Funk" (2006)
- Won: Band Of The Year (2012)
DWLS FM (now Barangay LS 97.1)
- Won: New OPM Artist of The Year (1996)
1st Philippine Radio Music Awards
- Won: Best Alternative Group (2009)
- Nominated: Favorite Musical Act (2008)
1st M.O.R. 101.9 Music Awards
- Won: M.O.R. Rock Icon Award (2014)
- Nominated: Best Rock Band (2008)
- Nominated: Best Song Revival - "Boys Do Fall In Love" (2008)
- Nominated: Favorite Vocalist - Chito Miranda (2008)
- Nominated: Best Favorite Band of The Year (2008)
- Nominated: Best Pop Band (2007)
- Nominated: Best Pop Band (2008)
- Mang Tomas
- Rexona Deodorant
- San Miguel Beer
- Tanduay Rhum
Magazine cover appearances
- MYX Magazine (2007–present)
- Banda Magazine (2005–present)
- Pulp Magazine (2000–present)
- "Parokya ni Edgar". Parokyaband.com. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- "Parokya Ni Edgar Pinoy Banda Page | Free | Downloads | Streaming Videos | Layouts". Pinoybanda.com. 2007-06-04. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- "Parokya Ni Edgar - Wow! Celebrities". Celebritiesph.com. 2007-02-16. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- Montaner, Vinci (October 14, 2012). "Hi! Sorry! I have...". Parokya ni Edgar Facebook Fan Page. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
- Miranda, Chito Jr. "Yup. It's true :)". Parokya ni Edgar Facebook Fan Page. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
- "Vinci Montaner leaves Parokya Ni Edgar". Radio Republic. October 14, 2012. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
- "Maniwala Ka Sana lyrics". lyriczz.com. May 7, 2014.
- "42nd Box-Office Entertainment Awards honors outstanding actors and actresses of 2010". Pep.ph. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- "Vice Ganda named Phenomenal Box-Office Star; Derek Ramsay is Box-Office King while Anne Curtis and Cristine Reyes share Box-Office Queen title". Pep.ph. Retrieved 2014-05-20.
|NU Rock Awards
Best New Artist