|Birth name||Marcus Füreder|
|Also known as||Plasma, Cash Candy, Nola Grey|
|Born||November 27, 1974|
|Labels||Etage Noir Recordings|
Marcus Füreder (born November 27, 1974), better known by his stage name Parov Stelar is an Austrian musician. He performs with his band — the Parov Stelar Band — and as a DJ worldwide. Parov Stelar is the head of Etage Noir Recordings.
After gaining experience as a DJ at nightclubs during the mid-late 1990s, Parov Stelar got involved in producing and publishing in 2000.
After early works under the pseudonym Plasma and his real name, and also being a partner of the label Bushido Recordings, in 2004 he started producing under the pseudonym Parov Stelar. In the same year he founded his own label: Etage Noir Recordings.
His first release, for Etage Noir, "KissKiss EP" and the soon after released LP "Rough Cuts", provided him immediate breakthrough on the international electronic music scene. His specific approach to music production, combined with a proven sense of sound aesthetics, led to massive reaction of audience and colleagues all around the world, giving him reputation as the founder of a new genre: "electro swing" 
Parov Stelar's tracks have been used on more than 700 compilations (for example: Hôtel Costes, Buddha Bar, Electro Swing) and have been the soundtrack for numerous TV ads, TV shows, TV series and movies.
Also in 2012, his retro-song "Booty Swing," sampled heavily from Lil Hardin Armstrong's "Oriental Swing," was featured in the US television advertising campaign entitled "Just the Right Amount of Wrong" for the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas. In 2013, "Booty Swing" was featured in a controversial commercial for Chevrolet. Although Bloomberg used the term "racist" when referring to the song as used in the Chevrolet ad, it did not cite the actual title for Armstrong's original or Stelar's version, or give credit to either artist.
The Parov Stelar Band
After starting as a solo artist and gaining initial success, in 2005 Parov Stelar began to perform live sets with a full band. This collaboration with four (later five) musicians and a vocalist noticeably influenced his work.
Current instrumentation of the Parov Stelar Band
- Parov Stelar aka Marcus Fuereder (programming)
- Cleo Panther aka Daniela Hrenek (vocals)
- Max the Sax aka Markus Ecklmayr (saxophone)
- Jerry Di Monza aka Gerd Rahstorfer (trumpet)
- Jakob Mayr (trombone)
- Willie Larsson Jr. aka Hans-Juergen Bart (drums)
- Michael Wittner (bass)
Former members of the Parov Stelar Band
- Beate Baumgartner (vocals)
- Gianna Charles (vocals)
- Stefan Hölzl (bass)
- Eva Klampfer (vocals)
- Andi Lettner (drums)
- Wolf Myer (drums)
Parov Stelar's DJ sets include live performance by his band members Markus Ecklmayr (Max The Sax) (sax) and Gerd Rahstorfer (Jerry di Monza) (trumpet).
|Year||Album||Details||Peak chart positions|
|2001||Shadow Kingdom LP||2x12" Vinyl & CD, Bushido Recordings, as Plasma||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2004||Rough Cuts||CD, Etage Noir Recordings||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2005||Seven and Storm||CD, Etage Noir Recordings||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2007||Shine||CD, Etage Noir Recordings||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008||Daylight||CD, Rambling Records||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009||That Swing - Best Of||CD, Etage Noir Recordings||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009||Coco||CD, Etage Noir Recordings||65||—||—||10||—||—|
|2012||The Princess||CD, Etage Noir Recordings||4||—||35||8||86||9|
|2013||The Invisible Girl
(Parov Stelar Trio)
|CD, Etage Noir Recordings||18||—||—||4||—||40|
|2013||The Art Of Sampling
(Parov Stelar Trio)
|2 CDs, 2 LPs, CD, DD Etage Noir Recordings, Island Records, Universal Music Germany||6||117||35||—||—||27|
- 2001: Shadow Kingdom EP (12" Vinyl, Bushido Recordings, as Plasma)
- 2002: Lo Tech Trash (12" Vinyl, Bushido Recordings, as Marcus Füreder)
- 2004: KissKiss (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2004: Move On! (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2004: Wanna get (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2004: Primavera (12" Vinyl, Auris Recordings)
- 2005: Music I believe in (12" Vinyl, ~Temp Records, as Marcus Füreder)
- 2005: A Night In Torino (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2005: Spygame (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2006: Parov Stelar EP (12" Vinyl, Big Sur)
- 2006: Charleston Butterfly (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2007: Jet Set EP (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Special)
- 2007: Sugar (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2008: The Flame Of Fame (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2008: Libella Swing (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2009: Coco EP (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2010: The Phantom EP (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2010: The Paris Swingbox EP (Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2011: La Fête EP (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2012: Jimmy's Gang EP (Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2000: "Synthetica/Stompin' Ground" (12" Vinyl, Bushido Recordings, as Marcus Füreder)
- 2001: "Guerrilla" (12" Vinyl, Bushido Recordings, as Marcus Füreder)
- 2004: "Get Up On Your Feet" (12" Vinyl, Sunshine Enterprises)
- 2005: "Faith" (Maxi-CD, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2007: "Rock For / Love" (12" Vinyl, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2007: "Shine" (Maxi-CD, Etage Noir Recordings)
- 2013: "The Mojo Radio Gang"
- 2005: Seven (from the album Seven and Storm)
- 2007: Love (from the album Shine)
- 2007: Shine (from the album Shine)
- 2008: Matilda (official)
- 2009: Coco (from the album Coco)
- 2009: Let's Roll (from the album Coco)
- 2010: Catgroove (TSC - Forsythe)
- 2010: Coco (Remix)
- 2010: The Mojo Radio Gang (Chris de Krijger & Bart Geerts)
- 2010: The Phantom (Markus Seisenbacher)
- 2012: Love (Remix)
- 2012: Jimmy´s Gang (from the album The Princess)
- 2012: Nobody's Fool (Drushba Pankow)
- 2012: Nobody's Fool (official)
- 2012: Requiem For Annie (from the album The Princess)
- 2012: The Princess (official)
- 2013: Keep On Dancing (official)
- СтефановаВсички, Мая (June 25, 2011). "Parov Stelar покриха липсата на Jamiroquai на Elevation, но не съвсем - Dnevnik.bg". Развлечение (in Bulgarian). Retrieved 11 August 2011.
- O'Brien, Jon. "Shine: Review". Allmusic. Retrieved 3 December 2011.
- Koch, Albert. "La Fete EP: Review" (in German). Musikexpress. Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Las Vegas Commercial for The Cosmopolitan". Retrieved 21 January 2012.
- Business Week: Bloomberg News "GM Pulls Chevrolet Ad Including ‘Ching, Ching, Chop-Suey’ Song" by Tim Higgins, May 01, 2013.
- The Washington Times "GM pulls ad with ‘ching, ching, chop suey’ lyrics" by Cheryl K. Chumley. Thursday, May 2, 2013.
- New York Daily News "General Motors apologizes after Chevrolet ad includes Chinese, Japanese racist stereotypes" by Clarke Bowling, Wednesday, May 1, 2013.
- The Atlantic Wire "GM Is Editing a 'Chop Suey' Car Ad Based on How Much It's Offending You" Alexander Abad-Santos, May 1, 2013.
- Parov Stelar in Austrian charts:
- Discographie Parov Stelar (in French). lescharts.com. Retrieved November 10, 2013.
- Suche nach "Parov Stelar" (album) (in German). charts.de. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- Parov Stelar in Greek charts:
- Discografie Parov Stelar (in Dutch). dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- Parov Stelar in Swiss charts: