Parsippany High School
|Parsippany High School|
|309 Baldwin Road
Parsippany-Troy Hills, NJ 07054
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Parsippany-Troy Hills School District|
|Principal||Dr. Denis Mulroony|
|Assistant principals||Lynn Burek
Dr. Gretel Perez
|Faculty||95.9 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||1,016 (as of 2011-12)|
|Student to teacher ratio||10.59:1|
|Color(s)||Red, Grey, White, Black|
|Athletics conference||Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference|
|Team name||Redhawks (2000-present), Redskins (???-2000)|
Parsippany High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school, one of two high schools in the township of Parsippany-Troy Hills, New Jersey, operating as part of the Parsippany-Troy Hills School District. The school serves students in ninth through twelfth grades who live in the eastern half of Parsippany-Troy Hills. Its companion school in the District is Parsippany Hills High School, which serves the western portion of the Township.
As of the 2011-12 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,016 students and 95.9 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 10.59:1. There were 114 students (11.2% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 45 (4.4% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards and recognition
The school was the 105th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 86th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 84th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 104th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 84th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
The Parsippany High School Red Hawks participate in the Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference, which operates under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. With 732 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as North II, Group II for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 493 to 732 students in that grade range. Prior to the NJSIAA's 2010 realignment, the school had competed as part of the Iron Hills Conference, which was made up of public and private high schools in Essex County, Morris County and Union County.
Parsippany High hosts many sports, such as football, soccer, cross-country running, marching band (in which they were the 2004 New Jersey State Champions), field hockey(in which they were the undefeated conference champions in 2012 and 2013, state sectional finalists 2013, county tournament semi-finalists 2013 and finalists 2012), volleyball, and cheerleading in the fall, swimming, basketball, ice hockey, wrestling, track (in which the girls were the 2004 New Jersey State Champions), and cheerleading in the winter, and baseball, softball, track (in which the girls were the 2006 New Jersey state champions), tennis, and golf in the spring. Richard Fonti is the Athletic Director.
The school's mascot was originally a caricature of a Native American, and the teams were referred to as the Redskins. However, that was changed recently due to concerns that the mascot was a racist caricature, and the official mascot was changed to that of a Redhawk in the early 2000s, based on student body nominations.
- Clarence Curry (born 1981), Class of 2000, played for the Arizona Cardinals of the NFL in 2004 and 2005.
- Jane Krakowski (born 1968), Golden Globe award-winning actress. Best known for 30 Rock and Ally McBeal
- Mike Maksudian (born 1966), former Major League Baseball player.
- Paul Mirabella (born 1954), former Major League Baseball player.
- Garrett Reisman (born 1968), NASA astronaut.
- Richie Zisk (born 1949), former Major League Baseball player.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Dr. Denis Mulroony - Principal
- Lynn Burek - Assistant Principal
- Dr. Gretel Perez - Assistant Principal
- Thomas Rizk - Assistant Principal
- Data for Parsippany High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed September 21, 2014.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed August 26, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 2, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2014-2015, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 21, 2014.
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for North II, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed September 21, 2014.
- Home Page, Iron Hills Conference, backed up by the Internet Archive as of February 2, 2011. Accessed December 3, 2014.
- Team Wrestling - North II, Group III, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 23, 2007.
- Gainor, Brian. "Spicing it up", NFL Europe, April 5, 2005. Accessed May 14, 2007. "Growing up in Parsippany, New Jersey, a suburb of New York City, Clarence was an all-conference basketball player and track athlete at Parsippany High School."
- Leave It to Jane, TheaterMania.com, March 10, 2006.
- Taveras, Danny. "Classroom a thrill for teacher: Students say Caprio gives and receives respect, offers encouragement", Daily Record (Morristown), November 9, 2004. Accessed May 14, 2007. "Caprio fondly recalls some of his former students who achieved success in the world of sports -- Joe Orsulak, the former professional baseball player, and Johnnie Morant, a recent graduate who is now a rookie playing football for the Oakland Raiders. 'My most famous student is Richie Zisk,' he says of the former professional baseball player."
- Paul Mirabella player profile, accessed May 14, 2007.
- Astronaut Bio: Garrett E. Reisman, NASA, Accessed May 14, 2007. "EDUCATION: Parsippany High School, Parsippany, New Jersey, 1986."
- Parsippany High School Staff, Parsippany High School. Accessed September 20, 2014.
- Parsippany High School home page
- Parsippany-Troy Hills School District home page
- Parsippany High School's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Parsippany-Troy Hills School District, National Center for Education Statistics