Partha Chatterjee (scholar)
Partha Chatterjee (born 1947) is an Indian scholar belonging to the subaltern studies and postcolonial schools. He is a multi-disciplinary scholar, with special emphasis on political science, anthropology and history. Chatterjee received Fukuoka Asian Culture Prize in 2009 for his contributions to academia.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (June 2014)|
He is honorary professor of Political Science and was the Director of the Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta and is currently a Professor of Anthropology and South Asian Studies at Columbia University in New York. He was a Founder-Member of the Subaltern Studies Collective. He is a Joint-editor of Baromash, a biannual Bengali literary journal published from Calcutta. In addition to numerous books in English, he has published books of essays in Bengali.
Chatterjee has been criticized by several Dalit scholars in India and overseas for ignoring the caste question and eliding it under the subaltern category.
- 1986. Nationalist Thought and the Colonial World. London: Zed Books.
- 1993. The Nation and its Fragments: Colonial and Postcolonial Histories". Princeton University Press.
- 1995. Texts of Power. Minneapolis University of Minnesota Press.
- 1997. A Possible India. New Delhi: Oxford University Press.
- 1997. The Present History of West Bengal. New Delhi: Oxford University Press.
- 2003. A Princely Impostor? The Strange and Universal History of the Kumar of Bhawal. Princeton University Press.
- 2004. The Politics of the Governed: Popular Politics in Most of the World, Columbia University Press.
- 2010. Empire and Nation: Selected Essays 1985-2005, Columbia University Press.
- 2011. Lineages of Political Society: Studies in Postcolonial Democracy, Columbia University Press
- 2012. The Black Hole of Empire: History of a Global Practice of Power, Princeton University Press.
- Biography of Partha Chatterjee on Columbia University's faculty page
- Member Profile, Committee on Global Thought at Columbia University
- The Two Hats of Partha Chatterjee: An Interview
- Partha Chatterjee: Colonialism, History and Civil Society
-  Towards a Postcolonial Modernity - Asiasource Interview with Partha Chatterjee
|Director of the CSSSC