Partha Chatterjee (scholar)
Partha Chatterjee (born 1947) is an Indian scholar belonging to the subaltern studies and postcolonial schools. He is a multi-disciplinary scholar, with special emphasis on political science, anthropology and history. Chatterjee received Fukuoka Asian Culture Prize in 2009 for his contributions to academia.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (June 2014)|
He is honorary professor of Political Science and was the Director of the Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta and is currently a Professor of Anthropology and South Asian Studies at Columbia University in New York. He was a Founder-Member of the Subaltern Studies Collective. He is a Joint-editor of Baromash, a biannual Bengali literary journal published from Calcutta. In addition to numerous books in English, he has published books of essays in Bengali.
- 1986. Nationalist Thought and the Colonial World. London: Zed Books.
- 1993. The Nation and its Fragments: Colonial and Postcolonial Histories". Princeton University Press.
- 1995. Texts of Power. Minneapolis University of Minnesota Press.
- 1997. A Possible India. New Delhi: Oxford University Press.
- 1997. The Present History of West Bengal. New Delhi: Oxford University Press.
- 2003. A Princely Impostor? The Strange and Universal History of the Kumar of Bhawal. Princeton University Press.
- 2004. The Politics of the Governed: Popular Politics in Most of the World, Columbia University Press.
- 2010. Empire and Nation: Selected Essays 1985-2005, Columbia University Press.
- 2011. Lineages of Political Society: Studies in Postcolonial Democracy, Columbia University Press
- 2012. The Black Hole of Empire: History of a Global Practice of Power, Princeton University Press.
- Biography of Partha Chatterjee on Columbia University's faculty page
- Member Profile, Committee on Global Thought at Columbia University
- The Two Hats of Partha Chatterjee: An Interview
- Partha Chatterjee: Colonialism, History and Civil Society
-  Towards a Postcolonial Modernity - Asiasource Interview with Partha Chatterjee
|Director of the CSSSC