Party Animals (album)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011)|
|Studio album by Turbonegro|
|Released||April 27, 2005 (Norway)
May 9, 2005 (Europe)
|Recorded||LydLab, Oslo, Crystal Canyon, Oslo and Hollywood Sound, Los Angeles November, 2004-January, 2005 by Chris Sansom, Marius Bodin Larsen and Anders Møller|
|Label||Burning Heart Records (Sweden)
Bitzcore Records (Germany)
Abacus Recordings (USA)
|Producer||Steve McDonald, Turbonegro|
|Pitchfork Media||(2.8/10) |
|Scene Point Blank||(9.0/10) |
Party Animals is an album by the Norwegian band Turbonegro released in April 2005 in Norway and May 2005 in the rest of Europe. It is the final album in the Apocalypse trilogy. It was released on Burning Heart Records in Sweden, on Bitzcore Records in Germany, and on August 23, 2005, on Abacus Recordings in the United States.
Burning Heart Records also released a version with bonus DVD. It comes with a cardboard sleeve around the jewel-cased Compact Disc/DVD. The bonus DVD contains the Hank von Helvete workout video (Hank in a gym, showing how to lift weights etc.): 'A guide to the perfect deathpunk body'. A free sticker was also included.
|This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards, as section. (August 2011)|
For the first time it was decided to work with an external producer: the basic tracks were all recorded in November through December, 2004 in Oslo, then finished and mixed in Los Angeles in early 2005 together with Steven Shane McDonald of Redd Kross fame, who has worked with artists such as Beck and The White Stripes. The album sound appears rather fierce, blunt and with less focus on studio production refinements in comparison to its predecessor Scandinavian Leather.
Keith Morris (Circle Jerks) and Nick Oliveri (QOTSA) contribute a few lines guest vocals on one song each, and even the Norwegian Kringkastings Orchestra was hired to supply the dark creeping atmosphere for the six-minute long opus "City of Satan", Turbo's ode to their hometown of Oslo.
A few remarks:
- Bassist Happy-Tom says "It's like the best bits of The Rolling Stones mixed with the best bits of Black Flag, but composed by Shostakovich, Stalin's in-house composer".
Marius Engen is the lead singer.
"We've got 11 hits, all of them beautifully negative switchblade serenades," says guitarist Euroboy.
- "Where their last effort, "Scandinavian Leather," picked up right where the band left off (pre-break up), "Party Animals" is a whole new beast altogether. Gone are the raunchy punk rock tunes of old. This is pure hard rock with the occasional ballad, wanking solos left and right, and super catchy choruses." - zambooie.com
All songs by Turbonegro.
- "Intro: The Party Zone" – 1:58
- "All My Friends Are Dead" – 2:36
- "Blow Me (Like the Wind)" – 3:16
- "City of Satan" – 5:42
- "Death From Above" – 3:03
- "Wasted Again" – 3:07
- "High on the Crime" – 3:19
- "If You See Kaye (Tell Her I L-O-V-E Her)" – 2:59
- "Stay Free" – 3:45
- "Babylon Forever" – 3:51
- "Hot Stuff/Hot Shit" – 4:00
- "Final Warning" – 2:33
- (CD-only Hidden Track) "My Name is Bojan Milankovic" – 4:29
- Hank Von Helvete (Hans Erik Dyvik Husby) – vocals
- Euroboy (Knut Schreiner) – Lead guitar, Piano, Backing vocals
- Rune Rebellion (Rune Grønn) – Rhythm guitar
- Pål Pot Pamparius (Pål Bottger Kjærnes) – Keyboards, Guitar, percussion, Backing vocals
- Happy-Tom (Thomas Seltzer) – Bass guitar, Backing vocals
- Chris Summers (Christer Engen) – drums, Backing vocals
- The Norwegian Radio Orchestra on "City Of Satan" and "Final Warning" arranged by Gaute Storaas, conducted by Ingar Bergby, recorded by Arne Kristian Dypvik, Morten Hermansen and Inger Kvalvik
- Gaute Drevdal – Keyboards on "Intro" and "Blow Me (Like The Wind)"
- Anders Møller – Congas on "Babylon Forever"
- Mathias Eick and Lars Horntveth – Horns
- The Artist Formerly Known As The Greatest Beerdrinker In The World, Keith Morris – Guest vocals on "Wasted Again"
- Nick Oliveri – Guest vocals on "Final Warning"
- Tomas Dahl, Steven Shane McDonald – Backing vocals
- Keith Morris – Backing vocals on "Wasted Again"
- Alexander Benjaminsen – Photo Production
- Marius Bodin – Engineer
- Arne Kristian Dypvik – Engineer
- Evan Frankfort – Mixing
- Joe Giron – Photo Production
- Morten Hermansen – Engineer
- Erin Kredel – Make-Up
- Inger Kvalvik – Engineer
- Martin Kvamme – Design
- Johanna Lacabanne – Costume Design
- Sebastian Ludvigsen – Photography
- Steven Shane McDonald – Producer
- Aders Møller – Engineer
- Chris Sansom – Engineer
- Pia Simensen – Costume Design
- Gaute Storaas – Arranger
- Turbonegro – Producer
- Aleks Tamulis – Assistant
- Brad Vance – Mastering
- "All My Friends Are Dead" was featured in Jackass Number Two, Viva La Bam, Bam's Unholy Union, Dirty Sanchez: The Movie, Norwegian horror movie Fritt Vilt, CSI: Miami and also in the french amateur movie Morbid Wanka.
- "City of Satan" is featured in the MTV show Nitro Circus during a sequence in which snowmobile jumps are performed.
- "Wasted Again" is featured as a downloadable track for the Rock Band series of video games.