|Produced by||Dil Raju|
|Music by||Mani Sharma|
|Cinematography||Vijay C Chakravarthy|
|Editing by||Marthand K. Venkatesh|
|Studio||Sri Venkateswara Creations|
|Distributed by||Geetha Arts
Sri Venkateswara Creations
KAD Entertainment USA (USA)
|Release dates||May 1, 2008
August 8, 2008 (Kerala)
|Running time||166 minutes|
Parugu (Telugu:పరుగు, English: Run) is a 2008 Telugu film written and directed by Bhaskar (of Bommarillu fame). Allu Arjun, Sheela, and Prakash Raj play the lead roles. Dil Raju produces the film whilst Mani Sharma scored the film soundtrack and background score. The movie premiered in Prasads IMAX on April 30 at 10:15PM. The film was dubbed into Malayalam under the title Krishna. It was dubbed into Hindi under the title 'VEERTA THE POWER'. The film is remade into Oriya as Sanju Aau Sanjana with Babusan, Parijat, and Mihir Das, and in Bengali as Shedin Dekha Hoyechilo with Dev, Srabanti Chatterjee, and Tapas Pal.
This film is based on the elopement drama of Arjun's cousin Srija (daughter of Chiranjeevi) with her then-boyfriend Sirish Bharadwaj. Though none of the mainstream media spoke about the co-incidence, the movie received a lot of buzz amongst the movie goers for the similarity to the real life episode of the Srija. Parugu released on May 1, 2008, to mixed reviews but was a Sleeper hit of 2008.
Neelakantam (Prakash Raj) is a village elder. He has two daughters Subbalakshmi (Poonam Bajwa) and Meenakshi (Sheela). The film begins with the elopement of Subbalakshmi with one Babu of the same village and he is a friend of Krishna. The entire family of Neelakantam holes up the friends of Babu (Sunil, Srinivasa Reddy), on the presumption that they helped him. Krishna (Allu Arjun) is also caught by the men of Neelakantam.
Krishna makes an attempt to escape from the village but can not do so after having a look at a beautiful girl, who is none other than Meenakshi. However, he does not know that it is Neelakantam's younger child. Though the entire situation is quite charged, Krishna is on the look out of the girl to whom he loses his heart. Before the interval bang, the secret unravels. Neelakantam's brother realises that it was Krishna who helped Babu in taking away Subbalakshmi in vizag.
On being questioned, Krishna takes the entire gang to Hyderabad along with Meenakshi. He tries to impress her whenever, he gets an opportunity . During the search for the girl, an incident occurs and Neelakantam comes out in open and explains Krishna how a father of an eloped girl will be broken. This turns an eye-opener for Krishna, who decides to sacrifice his love. Soon, Neelakantam and his group find Subbalakshmi and her boyfriend. But she makes it very clear that she will be happy only with her boyfriend and dares her father not to try to separate them. Then Neelakantam has challenged to do his younger daughter marriege grandly with broken heart through his elder daughter what she did,In the end, Neelakantam comes to know that Meenakshi falls in love with Krishna. However, Krishna tells Neelakantam that he is against to separate him with his daughter. But Neelakantam realizes the value of love and unites the lovers and the film ends on a happy note, in the same place of Krishna was stopped his running for beautiful girl.
- Allu Arjun - Krishna
- Sheela - Meena
- Poonam Bajwa - Subbalakshmi
- Prakash Raj - Neelakantam
- Chitram Seenu - Sreenu
- Subbaraju- Chinna Bhai
The film's title has been in major headlines prior to the film's release. During the film's production, the film has been referred to as Premikudu, Romeo, Enta Ghaatu Premayo, Araku, and Varadhi, before being titled as Parugu.
- Nandi Awards - 2008
- Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Telugu - Allu Arjun
- Filmfare Award for Best Film – Telugu - Dil Raju
- Filmfare Award for Best Director – Telugu - Bhaskar
- Filmfare Award for Best Male Playback Singer – Telugu - Saketh - "Nammavemo Ganee"
- The film collected a share of Rs.10.82 crores in its first 9 days of theatrical run and collected 21 crores in 3 weeks.
- There were mixed reviews for the film.
- the film completed 50 days in 179 centers.
- The film ran 100 days in 54 centres.
The music is composed by Mani Sharma and lyrics for the songs are written by Anantha Sreeram, Sirivennela, and Chandrabose. On April 8, 2008, film actor and Arjun's uncle Chiranjeevi launched the soundtrack in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.
|Soundtrack album by Mani Sharma|
April 8, 2008 (Audio Release)
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Mani Sharma chronology|
|3.||"Yelageyalaga"||Kailash Kher, Saindhavi||04:23|
|4.||"Chal Chal Chalo"||Ranjith||04:37|
|6.||"Manakanna Podiche"||Rahul Nambiar||04:40|
- This film was dubbed into Malayalam as Krishna and was a blockbuster in Kerala too.
- It was remade in Bengali as Shedin Dekha Hoyechilo, directed by Sujit Mondal and in Oriya as Sanju Aau Sanjana, directed by Ashok pati.This film was dubbed into Hindi as Veerta-The Power.
- Telugu cinema news - idlebrain.com
- http://telugupoint.com/telugu-movie-review/parugu-review.html Parugu review|parugu movie review|Parugu Allu Arjun | Telugu Cinema News
- http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2008-02-19/news-interviews/27777563_1_allu-arjun-film-titles All about a name-India Buzz-Entertainment-The Times of India
- Parugu audio function