|Born||July 10, 1950|
|Genres||Khayal, Bhajans, Thumris|
|Occupations||Hindustani Classical Music|
She was awarded the Padma Shri (1976), Padma Bhushan (2014) by the Government of India, and the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award, 1999, given by Sangeet Natak Akademi, India's National Academy of Music, Dance and Drama.
Parveen was born at Daccapatty in Nagaon city, Assam, India to Ikramul Mazid of Afghanistan and Maroofa Begum of Iran. Parveen's grandparents were from Afghanistan but later immigrated to Iran. She went to Mission School.
One day while watching her humming in Ikramul's lap, Maroofa noticed daughter Parveen's talent and asked her husband to teach her. Parveen's father was her first guru and was very strict with her, permitting her to only listen to Lata Mangeshkar and established Indian Classical vocalists. She also received some early training from her grandfather Mohammed Najeef Khan, a Pathan. On her father's suggestion, she later learned music from sangeet acharya Pt. Chinmoy Lahiri of Bengal. As to their first meeting, Parveen met her next guru and husband Dilshad Khan of Patiala Gharana musical tradition one day while he visited Chinmoy Lahiri's home. Later in Mumbai (1973), she met him again at mutual acquaitance Anima Roy's house and started their relationship from there. He later accepted her as his student and disciple. Parveen sang her first duet (jugalbandi) with Dilshad Khan at Jashn Festival concert in Afghanistan. Dilshad Khan and Parveen Sultana have one daughter, Shadaab. Seeing the level of competition and struggle in their field, both parents decided that Shadaab may learn singing but may not pursue it professionally.
Parveen gave her first stage performance in 1962 when she was only 12 and has been recording music since 1965.
Sultana has sung for movies such as Gadar, Kudrat, Do Boond Pani, and Pakeezah. Recently, she sang the theme song of Vikram Bhatt's 1920. She also sang Humein Tumse Pyaar Kitna for the film Kudrat in 1981.
She was conferred the Padmashri in 1976, at the age of 25.
Awards and recognition
- Padma Bhushan award, 2014
- Padma Shri award, 1976
- Gandharva Kalanidhi, 1980
- Miyan Tansen Prize, 1986
- Sangeet Samraggi conferred by the Assam Government, 1994
- Filmfare Best Female Playback Award--Kudrat (1981) for the song "Hame Tumse Pyar Kitna"
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award, 1999
- Srimant Sankardev award by the Assam government
- 2014: Padma Bhushan by Government of India 
- An hour of Ecstasy (Raga Madhuwanti/Raga Gorakh Kalyan/Raga Mishra Bhairavi thumri/Bhajan)
- Narayani (Raga Narayani)
- Begum Parveen Sultana- (Raga Salag Varali todi/Raga Lalita/ Raga Khamaj thumri)
- Enchanting Bhajans (Raga Rageshri/Bhajan/Bhajan/Bhajan)
- Ethereal Duo- with Dilshad Khan (Raga Marwa/Raga Kaushi Nat/Raga Mishra Bhairavi thumri)
- Genius of Parveen Sultana (Raga Kalavati/Raga Rageshri/Hori thumri/Malhar Mala bhajan)
- Homage to Guru (Raga Shyam Kauns/Raga Shuddh Sarang/Raga Mishra Kafi hori thumri)
- Impeccable Soprano Parveen Sultana & Innovative Tenor Dilshad Khan- with Dilshad Khan (Raga Rageshri/Raga Hansdhwani)
- Innovation Greets Tradition (Raga Sarang Kauns/Raga Miya ki Malhar)
- Khayal & Thumri (Raga Kusumi Kalyan/Raga Mangal Bhairav/Raga Bhairavi thumri)
- Marvellous Jugalbandi- with Dilshad Khan (Raga Bhatiyaar/Raga Kaushi Kanada)
- Megh-Manavi (Raga Megh/Raga Manavi/Raag Hemant thumri)
- One Plus One...In Harmony- with Dilshad Khan (Raga Multani/Raga Puriya Dhanashri)
- Le Chant Khayal de Parveen Sultana et Dilshad Khan- with Dilshad Khan (Raga Kalavati/Raga Megh Malhar/Raga Bageshri/Raga Mishra Pahadi thumri)
- Two Voices- with Dilshad Khan (Raga Puriya Dhanashri/Raga Hansdhwani/Raga Bhairavi sadra)
- Phenomenal Performance (Raga Ahir Bhairav/Raga Nand Kauns/Raga Bhairavi sadra)
- Parveen Sultana Sings Rare Melodies (Raga Rajni Kalyan/Raga Deen Todi)
- Khayal Se Bhajan Tak- with Dilshad Khan (Vol 1 to Vol 4)
- Duologue in Raga- with Dilshad Khan (Raga Kedar bhajan/Raga Leelavati/Raga Rageshri/Raga Todi) 1992
- From Dawn Until Night- with Dilshad Khan (Raga Hujri todi/Raga Kuvalaya Bhairav/Raga Ambika Sarang/Raga Bhoopali tarana/Raga Amba Manohari/Raga Jog/Raga Mishra Bhairavi thumri/Meera bhajan/Brahmanand bhajan) 1995
- Parveen (Raga Rageshri/Raga Mishra Mand) 2004
- Simply Divine (Raga Puriya Dhanashri/Raga Mishra Khamaj thumri/Raga Mishra Kedar bhajan) 2004
- Maestro's Choice Parveen Sultana (Raga Maru Bihag/Raga Amba Manohari/Raga Hansdhwani tarana) 2006
- Safar (Raga Maru Bihag/Raga Hansdhwani tarana/Raga Bhairavi sadra/Meera bhajan/Sai bhajan)
- Live from Savai Gandharva Music Festival (Raga Gurjri todi/Raga Jaunpuri/Kabir Bhajan); (Raga Jog/Raga Gurjri todi/Marathi song); (Raga Lalit/Raga Komal Bhairav)
- Par Excellence (Raga Madhuwanti/Raga Jog/Raga Maluha Mand) 2011
- Zen Harmony (Raga Gujri todi/Meera Bhajan)
Parween also lent her voice to several songs in Bollywood films throughout the years.
- Do Boond Paani
- Razia Sultan (film)
- Gadar: Ek Prem Katha
- 1920 (film)
- "Parveen Sultana".
- Express Features Service (2008-08-30). "Malhar Magic". Express India. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- [dead link]
- "Metro Plus Mangalore / Music : `We don't teach just music'". The Hindu. 2005-05-28. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "Padma Awards Announced". Press Information Bureau, Ministry of Home Affairs. 25 January 2014. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Parveen Sultana.|