Paseo Colorado, also called Paseo, is an upscale outdoor mall in Pasadena, California, covering three city blocks with office space, shops, restaurants, a movie theater, and 400 loft-style condominiums (called Terrace Apartment Homes) above.
It is located in downtown Pasadena between Colorado Boulevard to the north and Green Street to the south. Paseo Colorado is just east of and connected by a pedestrian bridge, the Garfield Promenade, to Old Town Pasadena, and west of the center of downtown. The mall is located across Green Street from the Pasadena Civic Auditorium in the Pasadena Conference Center. As of 2014, the mall is currently without an anchor retail chain stores since both Macy's and a Gelson's supermarket outlet had closed in 2013.
The site was originally occupied by a shopping mall called Plaza Pasadena, which opened in 1980 and featured three anchor stores: J.C. Penney, The Broadway, and May Company California. It was built by The Hahn Company at a cost of $115 million on an 11 acre site and had featured 122 stores. May Company closed its store there in 1989, and the space was divided among smaller stores.
Paseo Colorado opened in September 2001, retaining the Macy's store from the original development and added a supermarket and movie theater complex. Two years later, the outdoor center was sold to Developers Diversified Realty Corp. for $114 million.
In March 2013, Gelson's announced that they would close their store at Paseo Colorado on July 21, 2013. This store had been at this location since Paseo Colorado was first opened 13 years ago.
- Directory of major malls. MJJTM Publications Corp. 1990. p. 66.
- "Pasadena's $115-Million Plaza Officially Opens". Los Angeles Times, September 28, 1980, Page I30. Link via ProQuest.
- "Plaza Pasadena opens with 125 stores" (subscription required). Los Angeles Times, October 26, 1980. Link via ProQuest.
- "Where San Gabriel Valley Shops: Plaza Pasadena Tries to Overcome the Odds". Los Angeles Times, December 27, 1990.
- "Owners Propose Face-Lift for Plaza Pasadena Mall". Los Angeles Times, March 26, 1998.
- "Redemption for a Mall? Development: Plaza Pasadena divided the city 20 years ago. But a new proposal would turn the indoor center inside-out to take advantage of vibrant street life". Los Angeles Times, January 27, 1998.
- "Pasadena Mall Opens With Festival-Style Flair". Daily News (Los Angeles), September 29, 2001.
- "Paseo Colorado Center Is Sold". Los Angeles Times, January 04, 2003.
- "Paseo Colorado Macy's closing in early spring: Workers will be offered transfers where possible after spring closure". Pasadena Sun, January 05, 2013.
- "Macy's to face wrecking ball in planned Paseo Colorado project". Pasadena Star-News, February 28, 2013.
- "Gelson's Market to close at Paseo Colorado". Pasadena Star-News, March 21, 2013.
- "Gelson's closing store in Paseo Colorado". Pasadena Sun, March 22, 2013.