Past Master (novel)
Cover of first edition paperback
|Author||R. A. Lafferty|
|Genre||Variously described as science fiction, or dramatic fantasy|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover & Paperback)|
|Pages||191 pp (first edition, paperback)|
Past Master is a novel by science fiction writer R. A. Lafferty. It was first published in 1968, and was nominated for the 1968 Nebula award (Rite of Passage won) and the 1969 Hugo award (Stand on Zanzibar won). It is generally categorized as part of the New Wave of science fiction.
Past Master is set in the year 2535 on the world of Astrobe, a utopian Earth colony that is hailed as Golden Astrobe, "mankind's third chance" after the decline of both the Old World and New World on Earth. Despite idealistic intentions, it is suffering moral and social decline that may be terminal for both Astrobe and the human race.
In an attempt to save their dying civilization, its leaders use time travel to fetch Sir Thomas More (chosen for his fine legal and moral sense) from shortly before his death in the year 1535 to be the president of Astrobe. More struggles with whether to approve of the Astrobian society, noting its possible connections to his own novel Utopia. His judgements soon lead him into conflict both with destructive cosmic forces on Astrobe and with its leaders who thought him a mere figurehead who could be manipulated.
- Lafferty, R.A. (1968) . Past Master (First ed.). New York, USA: Ace Books. p. 191 pages. OCLC: 10835111.
- Lafferty, R.A. (1968) . Past Master. New York, USA: Ace Books. p. 248 pages. OCLC: 3838861.
- Lafferty, R.A. (1968). Past Master (paperbackISBN 0-8240-1421-9; OCLC: 1693870 Check
|isbn=value (help).) (Reprint of Ace edition as part of The Garland library of science fiction ed.). New York, USA: Garland Pub. p. 191 pages.
- Lafferty, R.A. (1968) . Past Master (softcover) (Reprint of first Ace Books? ed.). London, England: Rapp & Whiting. p. 191 pages. OCLC: 17697.
- Lafferty, R.A. (1970) . Past Master. London, England: Science Fiction Book Club. p. 191 pages. OCLC: 2014876.
- Lafferty, R.A. (1981) . Astrobe, der goldene planet (paperback) (in German) (Deutsche erstausgabe ed.). München; Zürich: Droemer Knaur. p. 207 pages. OCLC: 70117779.
- Lafferty, R.A. (1982) . Past Master (softcoverISBN 0-441-65303-0; OCLC: 8713622 Check
|isbn=value (help).) (Ace reprint ed.). New York, USA: Ace Books. p. 248 pages.
- Lafferty, R.A. (1993) . Tomasu Moa no daiboken: pasuto masuta (paperbackISBN 4-87892-030-0; OCLC: 50672738 Check
|isbn=value (help).) (in Japanese). Inoue, Hiroshi,; 1954- (translator) (Shohan; part of the Seishinsha bunko series ed.). Tokyo: Seishinsha. p. 379 pages.
- Lafferty, R.A. (1999) . Past Master (Wildside reprint ed.). Berkeley Heights, New Jersey, USA: Wildside Press. p. 248 pages. ISBN 1-880448-99-8.
- "Past Master" -(a review)
|This article about a 1960s science fiction novel is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|