|Member of the Kansas Senate
from the 37th district
|Preceded by||Ray Merrick|
|Born||August 31, 1957|
|Occupation||Master Electrician and Electrical Contractor|
Pat Apple is a Republican member of the Kansas Senate, representing the 37th District since 2013. He succeeded Robert Tyson to serve as the District 12 senator from 2005 to 2013. After redistricting for the 2012 elections, he filed for the District 37 seat. He was previously involved in the Board of Education for the Unified School District 416 (1991–2003). From 2003 to 2005, he was a Miami County Commissioner for District 4.
- Utilities (chair)
- Ethics and Elections (vice-chair)
- Assessment and Taxation
- Joint Committee on Energy and Environmental Policy
- Organization, Calendar and Rules
- Joint Committee on State Building Construction
Apple co-sponsored a resolution claiming states' rights, a resolution encouraging the formation of a U.S. Airborne Laser defense program, a resolution supporting the formation of a budget stabilization fund, and a bill concerning crimes involving alcohol.
Some of the top contributors to Apple's 2008 campaign, according to the National Institute on Money in State Politics:
- Kansas Republican Senatorial Committee, Kansas Chamber of Commerce, Koch Industries, Cox Communications, Kansas Contractors Association, Kansas Bankers Association
Energy and natural resources companies were his largest donor group.
After redistricting for the 2012 election, Apple filed for the Senate District 37 seat. Apple defeated Daniel B. Campbell and House incumbent Charlotte O'Hara in the August 7 Republican primary and was unopposed in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
The Senate District 37 seat was held by Ray Merrick from 2011 to 2013. Merrick, a former state representative, chose to run for House District 27 in 2012, with the expressed intent of being elected speaker of the House. Merrick went on to win the House seat and was elected House speaker on Dec. 2, 2012.
- Profile from the Kansas Legislator
- SR 1615
- SR 1859
- SR 1614
- SB 517
- Pat Apple 2008 campaign contributions
- Kansas Secretary of State, "Candidates for the 2012 Primary (official)," retrieved April 2, 2013.
- Kansas Secretary of State, Official 2012 Primary Results
- Kansas Secretary of State, "2012 Kansas General Election Results," accessed April 2, 2013.
- Kansas Senate
- Project Vote Smart profile
- Follow the Money campaign contributions
- Apple's website