Patrick Lee "Pat" Cosquer (born November 21, 1975) is an American college and university head squash squash coach and athlete. He is the recipient of two New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) Coach of the Year awards and the Head Men’s and Women’s Squash Coach at Bates College in Lewiston, Maine (USA).
His notable achievements include a 132-82 overall record in his first 4 years as coach at Bates College, 2010 NESCAC Men’s Squash Coach of the Year, 2010 NESCAC Women’s Squash Coach of the Year and winning the Chaffee Trophy at Northwestern University as Head Coach of the Men’s Squash Team in 1999. As a player at Bates, he amassed a 60-22 career singles record, and captained the team and won the Coaches Award in his senior season.
Cosquer was born in Edison, New Jersey, the son of Dolores (née O'Connor), a high school language teacher in New Jersey, and Armand, a high school administrator and language teacher in New York City.
Cosquer spent his preschool years in Rahway, New Jersey. Then his parents moved the family to Westfield, New Jersey, where he attended public schools and graduated from Westfield High School in 1993. While in Westfield, Cosquer competed in soccer, baseball and ski racing, and picked up the game of squash early on in high school at The Chatham Club from Coach Geoff Mitchell.
Cosquer graduated from Bates College in 1997 with a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology and as Varsity Team Captain of the Bates Men’s Squash Team, earned 4 Letter Awards, NIRSA Player of the Week (1996), Coaches Award (1997) and Most Valuable Player (1997) during his college squash career, having played for coaches George Wigton and Paul Gastonguay. He also played shortstop on the varsity baseball team for legendary coach, Bob Flynn, while at Bates.
As a high school student, Cosquer gave ski lessons and worked as a squash instructor, however, Cosquer started his professional career with a marketing and events planning internship with Nike in 1996, and upon graduation from Bates, led the Northwestern University’s Men’s Squash Team to the Chaffee Trophy as Head Coach in the 1998-1999 season, while working in a sales position for Arpin Associates in Chicago. Cosquer also worked in the Admissions and Development Offices at Portsmouth Abbey School in Portsmouth, Rhode Island. Following these developmental experiences, Cosquer was Squash Director at StreetSquash, an afterschool enrichment program in Harlem, NYC, which provides academic tutoring, squash instruction, mentoring, college prep and community service opportunities to underserved school-aged youth. Many of his former StreetSquash students have followed Cosquer and now play squash for him at Bates College.
From 2001 to 2008, Cosquer has been a squash professional and coach at several camps and organizations, including
- Institute for International Sport (Rhode Island)
- Bates College Alumni in Admissions and Volunteer Assistant Squash Coach (Maine)
- Fit Bodies Touring Squash Professional (Jamaica)
- Bowdoin College Squash Camp (Maine)
- Chatham Elite Squash Camp (New Jersey)
- Brown University Squash Camp (Rhode Island)
- Newport Squash Club Assistant Squash Professional (Rhode Island)
- Portsmouth Abbey School Assistant Squash Coach (Rhode Island)
- Wayne YM-YWHA Squash Clinics Director (New Jersey)
- Montclair YMCA Squash Clinics Director (New Jersey)
- The Chatham Club Assistant Squash Professional (New Jersey)
- Street Squash Squash Director (NYC)
- Squash and Beyond World Tour Leader (International) Italy 2009, Holland/France 2010, New Zealand 2011, and,
- International Squash Academy Squash Camp Director (Connecticut)
Cosquer is on the Rankings Committee of the Women's College Squash Association and has served as the Secretary of the Men's College Squash Association Executive Committee since 2009 and his dual citizenship (French and American) and unique background makes him distinctively suited for his role as a mentor to college-aged student-athletes. Cosquer has often been categorized as a “player’s coach”.
- Staff. "Campus Notes", Westfield Record, November 23, 1995. Accessed July 7, 2013. "Patrick L. Cosquer of Westfield is serving this year as a junior adviser at Bates College. Mr. Cosqueris the son of Armand and Dolores Cosquer of Westfield. A member of the men's squash and baseball teams, Mr. Cosquer is a 1993 graduate of Westfield Senior High School."