|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2007)|
pathu - aana-puram
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||KL-02 & KL-25|
Pathanapuram (Pathanāpuraṁ) is situated in the eastern part of the Kollam District of Kerala State of India. Its a part of the Western Ghats and the area is predominant with Spice and Rubber cultivation. Pathanapuram town is about 44 km from the district headquarters of Kollam. Pathanapuram is a mountainous area of 248.32 km2 and has a population of about 165,762 people.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (April 2013)|
The history of Pathanapuram goes back to Thenmala Desom, a small Principality under a local ruler with allegiance to Elayidathu Swaroopam or Kingdom which had its capital at Kottarakkara. In 1764, King Marthandavarma conquered Elayidathu Swaroopam and annexed it to Travancore. Most parts of Pathanapuram taluk were inhabited since before the Indus Valley Civilization, and civilization may have existed in and around Pathanapuram beginning the 1st Century. The name Pathanapuram evolved from the fact that the area had a sizeable elephant population and elephants were cached and trained/tamed for work at the elephant cage/camp at the Town. The Old police station area used to be the elephant Camp. The name can be translated as Path =(10)+Ana = (elephant) + Puram = (Town) == Ten Elephant Town.
- Major townships around Pathanapuram
- Pathanapuram Village, 2011 population 31,715
- Pattazhy Village, 2011 population 17,342
- Pattazhy Vadakkekara Village, 2011 population 14,775
- Piravanthoor Village, 2011 population 23,336
- Thalavoor Village, 2011 population 23,572
- Vilakudy Village, 2011 population 32,677
- Punnala Village, 2011 population 12, 558
- Pidavoor Village, 2011 population 10,087
There are 8 villages in Pathanapuram Taluka. Total population is 1,65,762. There are 40042 houses in this taluk:
- Pattazhy Vadakkekkara
Air: Pathanapuram is situated 89 km from the Thiruvananthapuram International Airport.
Road: The area is well connected to the rest of Kerala by bus services.
Educational and charitable institutions
- University Institute of Technology
- St Stephen's College, Maloor
- Mount Tabor Girl's Higher Secondary
- St Stephens School, Pathanapuram
- C.A.M. High School, Salempuram, Kurumpakara
- HB High School, Nadukkunnu
- St: Mary's Residential School
- Al-Ameen public school
- Mother Susan Memorial English Medium School
- Gandhibhavan, Kundayam
- College of Engineering, Pathanapuram
- N. M. U. P. School
- Govt. N. M. L. P. School
- Mount Tabor Training College
- Mother susan memorial English medium school
- Sree Narayana Central School, Maloor
- BJM English Medium school, Puthuval
- Indira Gandhi Memmorial Vocational Higher Secondary school,Manjakala(I.G.M.V.H.S.S)
- Edathara Muhammaden higher secondary school
Theatre, art, music and cinema
- Seema DTS Theatre
Pathanapuram assembly constituency is a part of the Mavelikkara Loksabha Constituency. Kodikunnil Suresh is the MP as of 2012 after winning the elections in 2009. He is now the Minister of States (Labour). Pathanapuram is also the home constituency of actor turned politician K. B. Ganesh Kumar. He has won from this constituency in the 2001, 2006 and 2011 Assembly elections. He is the current M. L. A. from Pathanapuram. He was the Minister of Forests, Sports & Cinema till April 2013.
Places of worship
Pathanapuram contains Hindu, Muslim and Christian places of worship.
Hindu Temples include Pathirickal Sree Dharma Shastha temple(2 km away from Pathanapauram town) Elikkattoor Sree Mahadeva temple(9 km from town), Kamukumchery Thiruvilangonappan, Sree kailasam Ardhanareeswara Chindha-mani temple, Sree Sankara Narayana Swami Temple (Kurumpakara), Mancode Oripuram Sree Dharma Sastha Temple, Pathanapuram Kavala Devi Temple, Pattazhi Devi Temple, Kundayam Sree Mahadevar Temple, Vellaramon Bhagavathy temple, Kavil Bhagavathy Temple, Manchaloor Madathil Shree Durga Devi Temple, Manchaloor Sreekrishna Swamy Temple and Chekom Mahadevar Temple, Kadumangalam Avaneeswaram Mahadevar temple (9 KM towards Kottarakkara direction)
Mosques include the Edathara Juma Masjid, Nedumparambu Mosque, Thekekkara Mosque(Pathirickal),Nadukkunnu Pallimukku Mosque, Maloor Mosque, Kundayam Mosque, Mancode Mosque, Misbahuhuda Arabic College Edathara, Padam Mosque,Islamic center (Karammoodu).
Churches include the IPC Salem Church (Salempuram),Immanual Marthoma Church(Nr. Govt. Hospital Pathanapuram), Mount Tabore church, The Salvation Army Church Pathanapuram, Shalepuram Church, IPC Elim Church (Puthuval), St:Stephens C.S.I Church(Puthuval) and Kalanjoor Brethren Christian Church,mar lazarus vallyapally.
Place to visit
- Vazhappara Water Falls
- Punalur Suspension Bridge of Pathanapuram Thaluk ( Only Two Bridges in India in its type)
- Kallada River
- Anchumala Para View of Anchumala Para
Pathanapuram lies on the border of the Periyar National Park.
Near by Settlements
Pathanapuram Town Nedumparambu Puthuval Udayonmuttam  Kurumpakara  Edathara Kundayam Manchalloor
- "Reports of National Panchayat Directory: Village Panchayat Names of Pathanapuram, Kollam, Kerala". Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Government of India. Archived from the original on 22 April 2013.
- "2001 Census: List of Villages having Population greater than 5000". Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India.
- "Taluks and Villages". Kollam District. Archived from the original on 20 May 2012.
- "Assembly Constituencies - Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies". Kerala. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-20.
- "Election 2011: Pathanapuram Constituency Result". India Ballot. Archived from the original on 24 February 2012.
- "Pathanapuram election results". Newsreporter.in. 2011-05-13.
- "Sree Sankara Narayana Swami Temple, Kurumpakara".
- "Pattazhy Devi Temple".