|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2007)|
pathu - aana-puram
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||KL-02 & KL-25|
Pathanapuram (Pathanāpuraṁ) is situated in the eastern part of the Kollam District of Kerala State of India. It is the headquarters of Pathanapuram Taluk.Taluk Office was inaugurated on 13.01.2014. It is a part of the Western Ghats and the area is predominant with Spice and Rubber cultivation. Pathanapuram town is about 44 km from the district headquarters of Kollam. Pathanapuram is a mountainous area of 248.32 km2 and has a population of about 165,762 people.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (April 2013)|
The history of Pathanapuram goes back to Thenmala Desom, a small Principality under a local ruler with allegiance to Elayidathu Swaroopam or Kingdom which had its capital at Kottarakkara. In 1764, King Marthandavarma conquered Elayidathu Swaroopam and annexed it to Travancore. Most parts of Pathanapuram taluk were inhabited since before the Indus Valley Civilization, and civilization may have existed in and around Pathanapuram beginning the 1st Century. The name Pathanapuram may have evolved from the fact that the area had a sizeable elephant population and elephants were caught and trained/tamed for work at the elephant cage/camp at the Town. The Old police station area used to be the elephant Camp. The name can be translated as Path =(10)+Ana = (elephant) + Puram = (Town) == Ten Elephant Town. Pathanam means palace or house. Puram means town. Thus the word Pathanapuram means Town with Palace (of the king of Thenmala Desom)or Town with lot of houses.
- Major townships around Pathanapuram
- Pathanapuram Village, 2011 population 31,715
- Pattazhy Village, 2011 population 17,342
- Pattazhy Vadakkekara Village, 2011 population 14,775
- Piravanthoor Village, 2011 population 23,336
- Thalavoor Village, 2011 population 23,572
- Vilakudy Village, 2011 population 32,677
- Punnala Village, 2011 population 12,558
- Pidavoor Village, 2011 population 10,087
There are 8 villages in Pathanapuram Taluka. Total population is 1,65,762. There are 40042 houses in this taluk:
- Pattazhy - 4,282 Houses
- Thalavoor - 5,655 Houses
- Vilakudy - 7,524 Houses
- Pidavoor - 2,460 Houses
- Pathanapuram - 7,495 Houses
- Pattazhy Vadakkekkara - 3,649 Houses
- Piravanthoor - 5,836 Houses
- Punnala - 3,141 Houses
1. State Bank of Travancore 2. The Federal Bank 3. Indian Bank 4. Central Bank of India 5. Canara Bank, Pidavoor 6. South Indian Bank 7. Union Bank of India 8. Kerala Gramin Bank 9. `Kollam District Co-operative Bank 10. ICICI Bank 11. State Bank of India 12. Pathanapuram Co-operative Bank 13. Kundayam Co-operative Bank
Proposed Banks: 1. Bank of Baroda
Air: Pathanapuram is situated 89 km from the Thiruvananthapuram International Airport.Cochin (Nedumbassery) Airport is 170 km. away.
Road: The area is well connected to the rest of Kerala by bus services. K. S. R. T. C. operates about 50 services from Pathanapuram Sub Depot. They include Pathanapuram - Mananthavady Super Fast, Pathanapuram - Sulthan Bathery L/S FP, Pathanapuram - Thrissur L/S FP,Pathanapuram - Eranakulam FP, Pathanapuram - Trivandrum FP (3) & Pathanapuram - Kollam FP. Ordinary services are available to Kollam, Kayamkulam, Adoor, Kundara, Kottarakkara, Kunnicode,Valakom, Punalur,Kulathupuzha, Punnala, Poomkulanji, Pattazhy, Enath, Chakkulathucavu, Padam, Pathanamthitta, Kumaly, Chengannur, Mancode, Pothupara etc.
There are two daily services to Bangalore viz, Kallada G4 & S L S. There is one daily service to Coimbatore by A1.
Educational and charitable institutions
- University Institute of Technology
- St Stephen's College, Maloor
- Mount Tabor Girl's Higher Secondary
- St Stephens School, Pathanapuram
- C.A.M. High School, Salempuram, Kurumpakara
- HB High School, Nadukkunnu
- St: Mary's Residential School
- Al-Ameen public school
- Mother Susan Memorial English Medium School
- Gandhibhavan, Kundayam
- College of Engineering, Pathanapuram
- N. M. U. P. School
- Govt. N. M. L. P. School
- Mount Tabor Training College
- Mother susan memorial English medium school
- Sree Narayana Central School, Maloor
- BJM English Medium school, Puthuval
- Indira Gandhi Memmorial Vocational Higher Secondary school,Manjakala(I.G.M.V.H.S.S)
- Edathara Muhammaden higher secondary school
Theatre, art, music and cinema
- Seema DTS Theatre
Pathanapuram assembly constituency is a part of the Mavelikkara Loksabha Constituency. Kodikunnil Suresh is the MP as of 2012 after winning the elections in 2009. He is now the Minister of States (Labour). Pathanapuram is also the home constituency of actor turned politician K. B. Ganesh Kumar. He has won from this constituency in the 2001, 2006 and 2011 Assembly elections. He is the current M. L. A. from Pathanapuram. He was the Minister of Forests, Sports & Cinema till April 2013.
Places of worship
Pathanapuram contains Christians, Hindu, & Muslim places of worship.
Mosques include the Edathara Juma Masjid, Nedumparambu Mosque, Thekekkara Mosque(Pathirickal),Nadukkunnu Pallimukku Mosque, Maloor Mosque, Kundayam Mosque, Mancode Mosque, Misbahuhuda Arabic College Edathara, Padam Mosque,Islamic center (Karammoodu).
Hindu Temples include Pathirickal Sree Dharma Shastha temple(2 km away from Pathanapauram town) Elikkattoor Sree Mahadeva temple(9 km from town), Kamukumchery Thiruvilangonappan, Sree kailasam Ardhanareeswara Chindha-mani temple, Sree Sankara Narayana Swami Temple (Kurumpakara), Mancode Oripuram Sree Dharma Sastha Temple, Pathanapuram Kavala Devi Temple, Pattazhi Devi Temple, Kundayam Sree Mahadevar Temple, Vellaramon Bhagavathy temple, Kavil Bhagavathy Temple, Manchaloor Madathil Shree Durga Devi Temple, Manchaloor Sreekrishna Swamy Temple and Chekom Mahadevar Temple, Kadumangalam Avaneeswaram Mahadevar temple (9 KM towards Kottarakkara direction)
Churches include the Bethel Assemblies of God (Chenkilathu), Pathanpuram Assemblies of God, Kallumkadavu Assemblies of God, IPC Salem Church (Salempuram),Church of God (Salempuram),Heavenly Feast Worship Center,Immanual Marthoma Church(Nr. Govt. Hospital Pathanapuram), Mount Tabor church, The Salvation Army Church Pathanapuram,Bethel Gospel Assembly(Pathanapuram),IPC Elim Church (Puthuval), St:Stephens C.S.I Church(Puthuval) and Kalanjoor Brethren Christian Church,Mar lazarus vallyapally.
Place to visit
- Vazhappara Water Falls
- Punalur Suspension Bridge of Pathanapuram Thaluk ( Only Two Bridges in India in its type)
- Kallada River
- Anchumala Para View of Anchumala Para
Pathanapuram lies on the border of the Periyar National Park.
Near by Settlements
Pathanapuram Town Nedumparambu Puthuval Udayonmuttam  Kurumpakara  Edathara Kundayam Manchalloor Pidavoor Kalanjoor Mancode Padam Salempuram Mallankuzha Kanchod Pallimukku Nadukunnu Karimpaloor Punnala Chachippunna
- "Reports of National Panchayat Directory: Village Panchayat Names of Pathanapuram, Kollam, Kerala". Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Government of India. Archived from the original on 22 April 2013.
- "2001 Census: List of Villages having Population greater than 5000". Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India.
- "Taluks and Villages". Kollam District. Archived from the original on 20 May 2012.
- "Assembly Constituencies - Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies". Kerala. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-20.
- "Election 2011: Pathanapuram Constituency Result". India Ballot. Archived from the original on 24 February 2012.
- "Pathanapuram election results". Newsreporter.in. 2011-05-13.
- "Sree Sankara Narayana Swami Temple, Kurumpakara".
- "Pattazhy Devi Temple".