Location in Punjab, India
|Founded by||Guru Nanak Dev Ji|
|Named for||Pathania Rajput|
|• Body||Municipal Corporation Pathankot|
|• Deputy commissioner||Sukhvinder Singh|
|• Senior Superintendent of Police||Rakesh Kaushal (PPS)|
|• Member of Parliament||Vinod Khanna, Lok Sabha|
|• Mayor||Anil Vasudeva|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Pathankot district (Punjabi: ਪਠਾਣਕੋਟ ਜ਼ਿਲ੍ਹਾ), is a district of Indian Punjab, located in the north zone of the state. Pathankot city is the district headquarters. The district was created on 27 July 2011.
It is located in the foothills of the Sivalik Hills. It shares international borders with the Narowal District of Pakistani Punjab. It also shares borders with the Kathua District of Jammu and Kashmir and Chamba and Kangra districts of Himachal Pradesh. Hoshiarpur district shares a boundary with Pathankot in Eastern Punjab. The two main rivers - Beas and Ravi, pass through the district.
Pathankot was the capital of Nurpur princely state ruled by the Pathania Rajputs. In Mughal records it was known as Paithan an abbreviation of Pratishthan from which the Pathania Rajputs derive their name, an ancient customed tradition of Rajputs, in which the King almost in all instances took his name from the name of the country where he exercised his dominion. The capital was shifted from pathankot to dhameri Nurpur in the time of Raja Basu Dev (1580-1613).
The Kanhaiya Misl, one of the twelve Sikh Misls, ruled this area from about 1781-1796 until Ranjit Singh of Gujranwala, took the area, and it remained part of the Sikh Kingdom until 1849, until it's annexation to the British Dominion. The villages of Dhariwal, and Japuwal, and Gurdas Nangal, all In tehsil Pathankot, are very closely related to Sikh history.
The district today
Pathankot was located in the Pathankot district. The present district was formed, as the 22nd district of the state, on 27 July 2011. Pathankot includes the two sub-divisions of Pathankot and Dhar Kalan and the two sub tehsil of Narot Jaimal Singh and Bamial  The district today comprises 421 revenue villages, and the headquarters is in Pathankot. Pathankot is also known as the city of soldiers.
- Master Mohan Lal (Transport Minister)
- Dev Anand (Film Star)
- Vinod Khanna (Film Star/MP)
- Ashwini Sharma (MLA)
- Dinesh Singh Babu (Deputy Speakar)
- Seema Kumari(MLA)
- Ashok Sharma (MLA)
- Kamaldeep Singh (Comedian)
- Saloni Sareen (Comedian)
- Siddarth Kaul (Cricketer)
- Anil Vij ( Ex President MC Pathankot and sitting District Congress president )
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pathankot district.|
- The Princely and Noble Families of the Former Indian Empire: Himachal Pradesh V. 1 By Mark Brentnall, Indus Publishing, p. 350
- History of the Panjab Hill States By J. Hutchison, J.P. Vogel, Asian Educational Services, p. 213
- Naveen S. Garewal (27 July 2011). "Eye on urban voter, Fazilka, Pathankot made districts". The Tribune, Chandigarh. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- News services (28 July 2011). "The state gets Fazilka and Pathankot districts". Indian Express. Retrieved 23 January 2012.