Pathum Thani Province
Map of Thailand highlighting Pathum Thani Province
|Capital||Pathum Thani town|
|• Governor||Pricha Butsi (since 2008)|
|• Total||1,525.9 km2 (589.2 sq mi)|
|Area rank||Ranked 69th|
|• Density||660/km2 (1,700/sq mi)|
|• Density rank||Ranked 7th|
|Time zone||Thailand Standard Time (UTC+7)|
|ISO 3166 code||TH-13|
Pathum Thani (Thai: ปทุมธานี, pronounced [pā.tʰūm tʰāːnīː]) is one of the central provinces (changwat) of Thailand. Neighboring provinces are (from north clockwise) Ayutthaya, Saraburi, Nakhon Nayok, Chachoengsao, Bangkok, and Nonthaburi.
The province is directly north of Bangkok and is part of the Bangkok metropolitan area. In many places the boundary between the two provinces is not noticeable anymore, as both sides of the boundary are equally urbanized. Pathum Thani town is the administrative seat, but Ban Rangsit, seat of Thanyaburi District, is the largest populated place in the province.
Pathum Thani is an old province, heavily populated by the Mon people, filled with temples, parks, and areas to experience Mon culture. The most famous amusement park in Thailand, Dream World, is also here.
The city dates back to a settlement founded by Mon migrating from Mottama (Thai: เมาะตะมะ) in Myanmar around 1650. The original name was Sam Khok. In 1815 King Rama II visited the city and the citizens offered him many lotus flowers, which prompted the king to rename the city Pathum Thani, meaning The City of Lotus.
The provincial seal shows a pink lotus flower with two rice stalks bending over it, representing the fertility of the province.
Education and technology
Pathum Thani has a very high concentration of higher education institutions, especially ones in the field of science and technology. This, together with a large number of industrial parks and research facilities (including those in Thailand Science Park), make the region the educational and technology hub of the area.
- Academic institutes
- National Science Museum, Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok University, Eastern Asia University, Pathumthani University, Rajamangala University of Technology, Rangsit University, Shinawatra University, Sirindhorn International Institute of Technology, and Thammasat University (Rangsit Center)
- Research bodies
- Thailand Science Park, National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA), National Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (BIOTEC), National Metal and Materials Technology Center (MTEC), National Nanotechnology Center (NANOTEC), National Electronics and Computer Technology Center (NECTEC), Thai Microelectronics Center (TMEC), Thailand Institute of Scientific and Technological Research (TISTR), TOT Innovation Institute (TOT)
- Industrial parks
- Software Park Thailand (in Nonthaburi, southwest of Pathum Thani), Nava Nakorn Industrial Promotion Zone (1376 acres / 5.6 km²), Bangkadi Industrial Park (470 acres / 1.9 km²), Techno Thani (a "Technology City" administrated by Ministry of Science and Technology), and a number of industrial parks in neighboring Ayutthaya and Nonthaburi Provinces
- "Population Statistics 2008". Department of Provincial Administration. Retrieved 2010-06-28. "Pathum Thani town population 18,843; Rangsit town population 76,843"
- Committee of Pathum Thani. (1957). Pathum Thani. Pathum Thani: Author.
- Department of Information and Communication of Pathum Thani. (n.d.). Pathum Thani. Retrieved January 26, 2007, from http://www.pathumthani.go.th/index%20k.htm
- Dream World. (2004). Retrieved February 17, 2007, from http://www.dreamworld-th.com/english/index.php
- Parangkio, S. (2005). Ha-sib-sa-tan-tee-tong-tiaw-tua-Thai [Fifty interesting places in Thailand]. Nontaburi: J.B. Publishing.
- Pathum Thani. (n.d.). Retrieved January 27, 2007, * Somnuk, P. (2005). Karn-tong-tiaw-tua-Thai-songpasa [Explore through amazing Thailand in bi-lingual]. Nontaburi: J.B. Publishing.
- Thai Tour Info Co., Ltd. (n.d.). Tourist attraction. Retrieved January 27, 2007, from http://www.thai-tour.com/thai-tour/Central/Prathumthani/main.htm
- Tourism Authority of Thailand. (2005). The tourist information of Pathum Thani. Retrieved January 27, 2007, from http://www.tat.or.th/province.asp?prov_id=13
- Pathum Thani Administration Office
- Thailand Guidebook: Pathum Thani Province
- Universities and Colleges in Pathum Thani at DMOZ
||Ayutthaya Province||Saraburi Province|
|Nakhon Nayok Province|