Patna High Court
|The High Court of Judicature at Patna
पटना उच्च न्यायालय
Seal of the court
|Established||22 March 1912|
|Composition method||Presidential assent on advice of the Chief Justice of India with consultation of Governor of Bihar|
|Authorized by||Constitution of India|
|Decisions are appealed to||Supreme Court of India|
|Judge term length||mandatory retirement by age of 62|
|Currently||Hon'ble Justice Mr. L. Narasimha Reddy since 2 Jan 2015|
Patna High Court is the High Court of the state of Bihar. It was established on 3 February 1916 and later affiliated under the Government of India Act 1915. The court is headquartered in Patna, the administrative capital of the state.
History of Court
Proclamation made by Governor-General of India on 22 March 1912. The foundation-stone of the High Court Building was laid on Monday, 1 December 1913 by His Excellency the late Viceroy and Governor-General of India, Sir Charles Hardinge of Penshurst. The Patna High Court building on its completion was formally opened by the same Viceroy on 3 February 1916. Hon'ble Sir Justice Edward Maynard Des Champs Chamier was the first Chief Justice of Patna High Court. Starting 18 April 2015, the Patna High Court has planned year long centenary celebrations of 100 years of establishment and the occasion was inaugurated by the President of India Shri Pranab Mukherjee chaired by the Governor of Bihar Shri Keshari Nath Tripathi and Chief Justice of India, Justice Mr.H. L. Dattu and the Chief Justice of Patna High Court Justice Mr.L. Narasimha Reddy
- 1912 - Proclamation made by Governor-General of India on 22 March 1912.
- 1913 - Foundation-stone of the High Court Building was laid on 1 December 1913.
- 1916 - Patna High Court building completed on 3 February 1916. The High Court actually commenced work from 1 March 1916.
- 1948 - Patna High Court exercised jurisdiction over the territories of the Province of Bihar & Orissa till 26 July 1948, when a separate High Court was constituted for Orissa.
- 1972 - Patna High Court opened a Circuit Bench at Ranchi.
- 1976 - Circuit Bench of Patna High Court at Ranchi became Permanent Bench.
- 2000 - Circuit Bench of Patna High Court at Ranchi became Jharkhand High Court on November 2000, under the Bihar Reorganisation Act of 2000.
- 2015 - Centenary Celebrations starting 18 April 2015.
The Chief Justice
The present Chief Justice of Patna High Court is Hon'ble Justice L. Narasimha Reddy. He was serving as the senior most judge at Hyderabad High Court until he assumed office as the Chief Justice of Patna High Court.
Prominent Judges of Patna High Court
- Hon'ble Ms. Justice Rekha Doshit, the Chief Justice of Patna High Court; and the first woman to hold this coveted office.
- Hon’ble Sir Edward Maynerd Des Champs Chamier is the first Chief Justice of Patna High Court.
- Hon'ble PANDIT Lakshami Kant Jha was the first Indian Chief Justice of Patna High Court after independence.
- Hon'ble Mrs. Justice Indu Prabha Singh, the first lady judge of Patna High Court, holds the distinction of being the first woman to hold court at Patna High Court and its Ranchi Bench.
- Hon'ble Mrs. Justice Gyan Sudha Misra, the second lady judge of Patna High Court, is the first woman judge of the Supreme Court of India from Bihar.
- This High Court has given two Chief Justices of India, viz.
- Hon'ble Mr. Justice Bhuvaneshwar Prasad Sinha, the 6th Chief Justice of India
- Hon'ble Mr. Justice Lalit Mohan Sharma, the 24th Chief Justice of India
|Hon'ble Judge||Date of Elevation||Date of Retirement||Source of Recruitment||Initial Appointment|
|Hon'ble The Chief Justice L. Narasimha Reddy||02, January 2015||01, August 2015||Bar||Judge, Hyderabad High Court from 10-09-2001|
|The Hon'ble Justice Iqbal A. Ansari||11 November 2013||29, October 2016||Service||Judge, Gauhati High Court from 04-03-2002|
|The Hon’ble Justice Navin Sinha||11, February 2004||18, August 2018||Bar|
|The Hon’ble Justice V. N. Sinha||24, March 2004||14, November 2015||Bar|
|The Hon'ble Justice Navaniti Prasad Singh||06, March, 2006||05, November 2017||Bar|
|The Hon'ble Justice Ramesh Kumar Datta||06, March 2006||31, December 2016||Bar|
|The Hon'ble Justice Shyam Kishore Sharma||10, May 2006||06, July 2014||Service|
|The Hon'ble Justice Jayanandan Singh||09, October 2006||29, September 2014||Bar|
|The Hon'ble Justice Samarendra Pratap Singh||09, October 2006||01, August 2017||Bar|
|The Hon'ble Justice Ajay Kumar Tripathi||09, October 2006||11, November 2019||Bar|
|The Hon'ble Justice Mihir Kumar Jha||10, July 2007||30, November 2015||Bar|
|The Hon'ble Justice Kishore Kumar Mandal||10, July 2007||21, January 2018||Bar|
|The Hon'ble Dr. Justice Ravi Ranjan||14, July 2008||19, December 2022||Bar|
|The Hon'ble Justice Anjana Prakash||13, June 2009||16, July 2016||Bar|
|The Hon'ble Justice Jyoti Saran||13, June 2009||18, August 2019||Bar|
|The Hon'ble Justice Rakesh Kumar||25, December 2009||31, December 2020||Bar|
|The Hon'ble Justice Birendra Prasad Verma||18 Feb, 2010||16, January 2017||Bar|
|The Hon'ble Justice Dinesh Kumar Singh||18 Feb, 2010||2, October 2020||Bar|
|The Hon'ble Justice Akhilesh Chandra||15 Mar, 2010||14 Mar, 2015||Service|
|The Hon'ble Justice Gopal Prasad||15 Mar, 2010||5 July 2016||Service|
|The Hon'ble Justice Mungeshwar Sahoo||15 Mar, 2010||31 Oct, 2017||Service|
|The Hon'ble Justice Hemant Kumar Srivastava||12 Aug, 2010||01 Feb, 2021||Service|
|The Hon'ble Justice Vijayendra Nath||20 June 2011||12 Aug, 2017||Bar|
|The Hon'ble Justice Shivaji Pandey||20 June 2011||7 May 2021||Bar|
|The Hon'ble Justice Ashwani Kumar Singh||20 June 2011||31 October 2022||Bar|
|The Hon'ble Justice Vikash Jain||20 June 2011||17 Feb 2022||Bar|
|The Hon'ble Justice Ahsanuddin Amanullah||20 June 2011||10 May 2025||Bar|
|The Hon'ble Justice Aditya Kumar Trivedi||20 June 2011||10 Aug 2020||Service|
|The Hon'ble Justice Rajendra Kumar Mishra||20 June 2011||Service|
|The Hon'ble Justice Amaresh Kumar Lal||20 June 2011||Service|
|The Hon'ble Justice Chakradhari Sharan Singh||5 April 2012||Bar|
|The Hon'ble Justice Prabhat Kumar Jha||21 April 2014||Service|
|The Hon'ble Justice Jeetendra Mohan Sharma||21 April 2014||Service|
|The Hon'ble Justice Anjana Mishra||15 May 2014||Bar|
|The Hon'ble Justice Ashutosh Kumar||15 May 2014||Bar|
List of the Former Chief Justices of Patna High Court 
|Name of Hon'ble the Chief Justice||From (dd.mm.yyyy)||TO (dd.mm.yyyy)|
|Hon'ble Rekha Manharlal Doshit||21.06.2010||13.12.2014|
|Hon'ble Shri Dipak Misra||23.12.2009||24.06.2010||Elevated to Supreme Court on 10/10/2011|
|Hon'ble Shri Prafulla Kumar Mishra||19.08.2009|
|Hon'ble Shri R.M. Lodha||13.05.2008||16.12.2008|
|Hon’ble Shri Rajesh Balia||05.01.2008||03.03.2008|
|Hon’ble Dr. J.N. Bhatt||18.07.2005||16.10.2007|
|Hon’ble Shri Ravi S. Dhavan||25.1.2000||22.7.2004|
|Hon’ble Shri B.M. Lal||9.7.1997||6.10.1999|
|Hon’ble Shri D.P. Wadhwa||29.9.1995||21.3.1997|
|Hon’ble Shri G.P. Patnaik||19.5.1995||11.9.1995|
|Hon’ble Shri K. Venkataswamy||19.9.1994||6.3.1995|
|Hon’ble Shri K.S. Paripoornan||24.1.1994||11.6.1994|
|Hon’ble Shri Bimal Chandra Basak||18.3.1991||21.10.1994|
|Hon’ble Shri Gangadhar Ganesh Sohani||24.10.1989||17.12.1990 Afternoon|
|Hon’ble Shri Shushil Kumar Jha||19.10.1989||23.10.1989|
|Hon’ble Shri Dipak Kumar Sen||1.5.1988||1.5.1989|
|Hon’ble Shri Bhagwati Prasad Jha||2.1.1988||2.1.1988 Afternoon|
|Hon’ble Shri Surjit Singh Sandhawalia||29.11.1983||27.7.1987|
|Hon’ble Shri Krishna Ballabh Narayan Singh||19.7.1976||12.3.1982 Afternoon|
|Hon’ble Shri Shyam Nandan Prasad Singh||3.10.1974||1.5.1976|
|Hon’ble Shri Nand Lall Untwalia||29.9.1972||3.10.1974|
|Hon’ble Shri Ujjal Narayan Sinha||5.9.1970||29.9.1972|
|Hon’ble Shri Satish Chandra Mishra||9.11.1968||5.9.1970|
|Hon’ble Shri Ramaswamy Lakshmi Narasimhan||4.1.1965||2.8.1968 Afternoon|
|Hon’ble Shri Vaidyanathier Ramaswami||30.4.1956||4.1.1965|
|Hon’ble Shri Sudhansu Kumar Das||10.1.1955||30.4.1956|
|Hon’ble Shri Syed Jafar Imam||3.9.1953||10.1.1955|
|Hon’ble Shri David Ezra Reuben||1.6.1952||2.9.1953|
|Hon’ble Pandit Lakshami Kant Jha||8.4.1950||1.6.1952|
|Hon’ble Sir Herbert Ribton Meredith||25.1.1950||8.4.1950|
|Hon’ble Sir Clifford Monmohan Agarwala||9.1.1948||24.1.1950|
|Hon’ble Sir Syed Fazl Ali||19.1.1943||14.10.1946|
|Hon’ble Sir Arther Trevor Harries||10.10.1938||19.1.1943|
|Hon'ble Justice Kulwant Sahay|
|Hon’ble Sir Courtney Terrell||31.3.1928||6.5.1938|
|Hon’ble Sir Thomas Fredrick Dawson Miller||31.10.1917||31.3.1928|
|Hon’ble Sir Edward Maynerd Des Champs Chamier||01.03.1916||30.10.1917|
Former Puisne Judges
Former Puisne Judges of the Court include:
- Official website
- Jurisdiction and Seats of Indian High Courts
- Judge strength in High Courts increased