|Logo of the Patna Police.|
|Preceding agency||City cum District Police|
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Operations jurisdiction*||District of Patna in the state of Bihar, IN|
|Areas of Patna Police's jurisdiction in Bihar|
|Overviewed by||Government of Bihar|
|Headquarters||Gandhi Maidan Marg, Patna|
|Elected officer responsible||Manu Maharaaj, SSP|
|Parent agency||Bihar Police|
|* Divisional agency: Division of the country, over which the agency has usual operational jurisdiction.|
Patna Police (Hindi: पटना पुलिस) is the police service responsible for law enforcement within Patna district, including the capital city of Patna in an Indian state of Bihar. Patna Police is the largest police service in the state. Its headquarters are at Gandhi Maidan Marg in Patna.
Patna is one of the oldest continuously inhabited places in the world, and policing in Patna is more than 3000 years old. In fact, there are documented historical references to policing practices adopted by the Magadha Empire.
Policing in the Modern era in Bihar began in the year 1862 with the introduction of the Indian Police Act of 1861. Following the creation of the province of Bihar in 1912, the basic structure of police as it exists today in the whole of India was laid.
As of July 2013, Patna Police is commanded by Senior Superintendent of Police, Manu Maharaaj. Districts are further divided into Neighbourhood Policing Teams, each led by an Inspector. The Neighbourhood Policing Team's are responsible for the bulk of the community work undertaken in an area, and look to deal with long term local issues including Anti-Social Behaviour.
Services provided by the Patna Police include:
- Preventing, detecting and investigating crime;
- Monitoring and promoting road safety;
- Maintaining social order;
- Performing and coordinating search and rescue operations; and
- Emergency management
Further policing duties performed are traffic control, intelligence analysis and anti-terrorism investigation. The overall mission of the Patna Police is to protect life and property and to detect and prevent crime.
Patna Police is the squad of Bihar Police that holds the responsibility of state capital's law and order.
- S.S.P. Patna - overall responsibility of storing peace, harmony and well being of society
- S.P. Rural - Since Patna is a big district with many villages and rural areas under its boundary It becomes one of the most important task of Patna Police to maintain proper peace in those areas.
- City S.P. - maintain law and order in the city of Patna
- S.P. Traffic - Road Safety, Accidents, Vehicle security is an important task in order to keep society free from damages.
The following are the helpline numbers of Patna Police.
|Patna Women Police||9470001390||9471006592|
|Police Control Room||0612-2201975||2201977 / 2201978 / 2219131|
- Mahindra Legend
- Toyota Innova
- Chevrolet Tavera
- Mahindra Xylo
- Toyota Qualis
- Maruti Gypsy
- Royal Enfield Bullet
- Hero MotoCorp Glamour
- TVS Apache
- Official website
- Important Numbers for Patna District Police
- Bihar Police Telephone Numbers
- New police headquarters building soon
- Welcome To The Patna Police of Bihar State
- New police headquarters building soon The Times of India. Retrieved Mar 11, 2012
- Stage set for anti-Red operations The Times of India, Patna. Retrieved Jun 3, 2013
- about us bihar police
- 26 SPs shifted; Manu Maharaj is SSP, Patna The Times of India, Patna. Retrieved Mar 26, 2013
- about us