From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up patriarch in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Patriarch is the highest rank of bishop of the autocephalous churches in Eastern Orthodoxy, Oriental Orthodoxy, the Roman Catholic Church, and the Assyrian Church of the East.
Patriarch may also refer to:
- Patriarchs (Bible), prominent figures in the Hebrew scriptures, especially Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob
- Patriarch (Latter Day Saints), the Melchizedek Priesthood office in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Patriarch (Buddhism), a historic teacher who transferred the teachings, see Lineage (Buddhism)
- Patriarch (magazine), a defunct American magazine that espoused Biblical patriarchy
- Patriarch, the leader of a patriarchy
- Patriarch, a boss in Killing Floor
- Supreme Patriarch or Sangharaja, a title given to senior Theravada Buddhist monks
- Nasi or Patriarch of the Jews, the head of the Sanhedrin of Israel from 191 BCE to 425 CE
- Kzinti Patriarch, the leader of the Kzin race in Larry Niven's Known Space series
- Patriarchalism, a seventeenth century political theory of absolute monarchy in England
- Matriarch (disambiguation), the corresponding female term to some of these senses
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.