Cosmas II of Constantinople
Cosmas II Atticus (Greek: Κοσμᾶς Β´ ὁ Ἀττικός) was Patriarch of Constantinople from April 1146, until February 1147. He was born in Aegina, in Greece, and was a deacon of Hagia Sophia before his ascension, after Michael II Kourkouas abdicated. He was highly respected for his learning and for his holy character. Cosmas reigned during the rule of Byzantine emperor Manuel I Comnenus.
Cosmas was condemned and deposed on February 26, 1147 by a synod held at the Palace of Blachernae because of indulgence in relation to the monk Niphon, a condemned Bogomil since 1144, whom he received in his home and at his table.
The exact reasons for the conviction and deposition of Cosmas II are not clearly established; perhaps he was the victim of political intrigue. It is clear however that the Emperor Manuel intervened directly in forming the Synod that deposed Cosmas, interviewing personally those who accused him, and testing Cosmas directly on his opinions of the heretical Niphon. This affair is typical both of the doctrinal controversies common in the reign of Manuel I, and also of the Emperor's readiness to become actively involved in them.
- John Kinnamos. (1976). The Deeds of John and Manuel Comnenus, Columbia University Press, p.56
- "Κοσμᾶς Β´ ὁ Ἀττικός" (in Greek). Ecumenical Patriarchate. Retrieved 2011-12-24.
- Lysimachos Oeconomos La vie religieuse dans l'empire byzantin au temps des Comnènes et des Anges 1918 réédition 1972 p.44-45
- Dimtri Obolensky A study in Balkan Neo-Manichaeism « Byzantine Bogomilism » Cambridge University Press 1948 p.221-222
- Paul Magdalino. (2002). The Empire of Manuel I Komnenos, 1143-1180, Cambridge University Press, p.277
- J.M. Hussey. (1986). The Orthodox Church in the Byzantine Empire, Oxford University Press, p. 151
|Orthodox Church titles|
Michael II Kourkouas
|Patriarch of Constantinople
Nicholas IV Muzalon
|This Byzantine biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an Eastern Orthodox bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|