Patriarch Jeremias I of Constantinople
|Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople|
|Church||Church of Constantinople|
|In office||31 Dec 1522 – Apr/May 1524
24 Sept 1525 – 13 Jan 1546
|Died||13 January 1546
|Previous post||Archbishop of Sofia|
Jeremias was a native of Zitsa in Epirus, and was raised without instruction. He became Archbishop of Sofia on or before 1513. On the 31 December 1522 he became Patriarch of Constantinople.
Shortly after his election, he travelled to Cyprus, Egypt, Sinai and Palestine. During his stay in Jerusalem, the clergy and the notables of Constantinople deposed him on April or May 1524, and elected in his place the Metropolitan of Sozopolis, Joannicius I. Jeremias reacted and together with the Patriarchs of Alexandria and Antioch whom he called to Jerusalem, he excommunicated Joannicius. He was restored in Constantinople on 24 September 1525.
In 1537 Jeremias obtained from the Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent to stop the conversion of churches into mosques in Constantinople, but this decision was not confirmed by Suleiman's successors. Jeremias died on 13 January 1546 in the town of Vratsa, while travelling to Wallachia.
- Kiminas, Demetrius (2009). The Ecumenical Patriarchate. Wildside Press LLC. p. 38,46. ISBN 978-1-4344-5876-6.
- "Jeremias I". Ecumenical Patriarchate. Retrieved 30 May 2011.
- R. Janin (1956). "Costantinople, Patriarcat grec". Dictionnaire d'histoire et de géographie ecclésiastiques 13. Paris: Letouzey et Ané. 677.
- Тютюнджиев, Ив., Мутафова, Кр. История на българския народ през XV-XVII в. в таблици, схеми, карти, и тестове. Велико Търново, 1994, 38.
- "Jérémie I". Dictionnaire d'histoire et de géographie ecclésiastiques 28. Paris: Letouzey et Ané. 2003. 995. ISBN 2-7063-0210-0.
- R. Aubert (2000). "Joannikios I". Dictionnaire d'histoire et de géographie ecclésiastiques 27. Paris: Letouzey et Ané. 1378-9. ISBN 2-7063-0210-0.
- Runciman, Steven (1985). The Great Church in captivity : a study of the Patriarchate of Constantinople from the eve of the Turkish conquest to the Greek War of Independence. Cambridge University Press. p. 190. ISBN 978-0-521-31310-0.
- Στρουμπάκης, Μιχαήλ (2005). Ιερεμίας Α' - Πατριάρχης Κωνσταντινουπόλεως (1522-1546) Ο Βίος και το Έργο του [Jeremias I - Patriarch of Constantinople (1522-1546) The Life and Work]. Athens: Phanárion. ISBN 960-8116-08-2. (Greek)
|This article about an Eastern Orthodox bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|