Patricia Birch is an American choreographer and director for musical theatre and film.
Born in Englewood, New Jersey, Birch began her career as a dancer in Broadway musicals, including Brigadoon, Goldilocks, and West Side Story (playing "Anybodys"). She has directed and choreographed music videos for Cyndi Lauper, the Rolling Stones, and Carly Simon. She earned Emmy Awards for her direction of the television specials Natalie Cole: Unforgettable and Celebrating Gershwin and, in collaboration with Michael Tilson Thomas, she staged the concert version of On the Town performed by both the London Symphony Orchestra and the San Francisco Symphony.
Birch spent six years staging numbers for Saturday Night Live. In the 1960s, she taught dance at the Juilliard School's pre-college division in New York City. She has performed as a soloist with Martha Graham and Agnes de Mille.
Stage productions (selected)
All credits as choreographer unless otherwise noted
Awards and nominations
- 1972 Drama Desk Award – Grease
- 1974 Drama Desk Award – Candide
- 1972 Tony Award – Grease
- 1974 Tony Award – Over Here!
- 1976 Drama Desk Award – Pacific Overtures
- 1976 Tony Award – Pacific Overtures
- 1977 Drama Desk Award – Music Is
- 1977 Tony Award – Music Is
- 1999 Drama Desk Award – Parade
- 1999 Tony Award – Parade
- 2007 Drama Desk Award – LoveMusik