Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D. (Zoology) is a nationally acknowledged expert in animal behavior and an accomplished storyteller. Her first book, The Other End of the Leash, was published by Ballantine Books and has sold over 220,000 copies. It has been published in thirteen countries in 12 different languages. The book was heralded as a revolutionary—giving a new perspective on how humans and dogs relate by focusing on human behavior, and how dogs might interpret it, and changed how millions of dog lovers around the world relate to their four-legged best friends.
Her next national book, For the Love of a Dog, won the prestigious Audie Award, as the Best Audio Book of 2007. Her self-published books have sold over 400,000 copies, and have strong audiences both in the United States and abroad, especially in Germany, Canada and Australia. Her popularity as an author stems from her warm and accessible writing style. Dr. McConnell is a highly regarded speaker, and speaks all around the world about canine and feline behavior, including in New Zealand, Australia, Great Britain, Sweden, Germany, and Canada.
From 1994 to 2008, Patricia was the co-host of the weekly one-hour radio show “Calling All Pets” produced by Wisconsin Public Radio, during which she dispensed advice about behavior problems and information about animal behavior research. At its height, the show was broadcast in over 110 cities around the country. From 1997 to 1999, Patricia was the co-host of a weekly 30 minute television program called Petline that aired on the Animal Planet Network.
Dr. McConnell is an Adjunct Professor in Zoology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, teaching a course titled “The Biology and Philosophy of Human-Animal Relationships”. She is also the President of McConnell Publishing, LTD.
Patricia Bean McConnell was born November 16, 1948 in Phoenix, AZ to Clarke and Pamela Bean. She has two sisters, Wendy Bean Barker, an American poet, and Elizabeth Bean Piatt.
As a trained ethologist and Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist (CAAB), Dr. McConnell developed her expertise through hands-on experience in dog training and private consulting with owners of dogs with serious behavioral problems like aggression, separation anxiety and phobias. Using her years of practical experience, Dr. McConnell has written and self-published eleven books and thirteen DVDs on dog training and behavior problems, selling over 400,000 copies in the United States and around the world.
Dr. McConnell is the author or co-author of the following books:
- The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs (Ballantine, 2002; published in 12 languages)
- For The Love of a Dog: Understanding Emotion in You and Your Best Friend (Ballantine, 2006). The audio version of this book was awarded the 2007 Audie, the “Oscar” for audio books.
- Love Has No Age Limit: Welcoming an Adopted Dog into Your Home (co-author Karen B. London, Ph.D., McConnell Publishing, 2011)
- The Puppy Primer, Second Edition (co-author Brenda Scidmore, McConnell Publishing, 2010)
- Feisty Fido: Help For the Leash-Reactive Dog (co-author Karen B. London, Ph.D., McConnell Publishing, 2003, 2nd Edition 2009)
- Play Together, Stay Together: Happy and Healthy Play Between People and Dogs (co-author Karen B. London, Ph.D., McConnell Publishing, 2008)
- Feeling Outnumbered? How to Manage and Enjoy Your Multi-dog Household (co-author Karen B. London, Ph.D., McConnell Publishing, 2001, 2nd edition 2008)
- How to be the Leader of the Pack…and Have Your Dog Love You for it! (McConnell Publishing, 1996, 3rd Edition 2007)
- Family Friendly Dog Training: A Six-Week Program for You and Your Dog (co-author Aimee M. Moore, McConnell Publishing, 2006)
- The Cautious Canine: How to Help Dogs Conquer Their Fears (McConnell Publishing, 1998, 2nd Edition 2005)
- Way to Go! How to Housetrain a Dog of Any Age (co-author Karen B. London, Ph.D., McConnell Publishing, 2003)
- I’ll Be Home Soon! How to Prevent and Treat Separation Anxiety (McConnell Publishing, 2000)
- The Fastidious Feline: How to Prevent and Treat Litter Box Problems (McConnell Publishing, 1998)
Dr. McConnell has recorded the following DVDs on training and behavior problems:
- Lost in Translation: How Dogs Use Sight, Sound and Smell to Communicate DVD (2012)
- Lending a Helping Paw: A Guide to Animal Assisted Therapy DVD (2012)
- The Art and Science of Canine Behavior DVD (2011)
- Treating Dog/Dog Reactivity DVD (2010)
- Dog Play: Understanding Play Between Dogs and Between People and Dogs DVD (2009)
- Both Ends of the Leash DVD (2008)
- For the Love of a Dog: The Biology of Emotion in Two Species DVD (2006)
- Feeling Outnumbered? How to Manage and Enjoy your Multi-dog Household DVD (2005)
- Lassie Come! How to get your dog to come every time you call DVD (2005)
- Reading Between the Lines DVD (2004) (Discontinued)
- Dog-Dog Aggression DVD (2003)
- Dogs Have Owners, but Cats Have Staff DVD (2003)
- Advanced Canine Behavior DVD (2000) (Discontinued)
Patricia received her Ph.D. in Zoology in 1988 from the University of Wisconsin-Madison researching dog behavior and communication between professional trainers and working domestic animals. Her dissertation received the prestigious Warder Clyde Allee Award from the Animal Behavior Society in that same year.
Awards & Recognition
- “Best Soft Covered Guide of 2011” by Dog Writers Association of America for Love Has No Age Limit, 2011
- “Best Writer of the Year” by International Positive Dog Training Association, 2010
- Audie Award 2007 for best Audio Book, For the Love of a Dog (Ballantine, 2006)
- Elected one of the “Best 100 Professors” at UW-Madison by Wisconsin Student Association, 1991
- Allee Award Winner for best Ph.D. Research Presentation, 1988
- Jefferson Davis Fellowship, Summer 1988
- Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation Graduate Fellowship, 1986–87
- National Science Foundation Dissertation Award, 1985–87
- National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship, 1983-1986
- Sigma Xi Grant-in-Aid of Research, 1985