Patricia Rawlings, Baroness Rawlings
Patricia Elizabeth Rawlings, Baroness Rawlings (born 27 January 1939) is a Conservative Party politician and former frontbencher in the House of Lords. She was also a Member of the European Parliament (MEP) from 1989 to 1994.
Baroness Rawlings was Chairman of King's College London Council 1998–2007, and she was made a Fellow of the university in 2003. She has been President of the National Council for Voluntary Organisations since 2002, and President of the British Antique Dealers' Association 2005-2013. She is also a trustee of the Chevening Estate.
Rawlings was educated in the United Kingdom and Switzerland. She trained as a nurse at Westminster Hospital and is an active member of the British Red Cross (she was awarded the British Red Cross national Badge of Honour in 1987). She was a mature student at University College London and studied for a postgraduate diploma in International Relations from the London School of Economics. She was awarded an Hon DLitt from the University of Buckingham in 1998.
Rawlings was elected at the 1989 European election as the MEP for Essex South West. That constituency was abolished for the 1994 European election when she was defeated by Labour's Hugh Kerr in the new Essex West and Hertfordshire East constituency. She entered the House of Lords as a life peer with the title Baroness Rawlings, of Burnham Westgate in the County of Norfolk, in 1994 and has held several frontbench positions. She served as an Opposition Whip (1997–1998), Spokesperson on Culture, Media and Sport (1997–1998), Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (1998–2010) and International Development (1998–2010).
Patricia Rawlings was married in 1962 to businessman David Wolfson, now Baron Wolfson of Sunningdale, but divorced in 1967. They are one of the few married couples where both partners held noble titles in their own right.
Foreign orders and decorations
- Patricia Rawlings is the first British woman to be awarded the Order of the Rose (Silver), which was bestowed upon her by President Zhelyu Zhelev of Bulgaria, in recognition of her interest in Bulgaria. Rawlings is permitted to wear the decoration whenever she visits Bulgaria or goes to the Bulgarian embassy.
- For services to Anglo-Brazilian relations, she was awarded the Grand Official, Order of the Southern Cross from the Republic of Brazil in 1998.
- Patricia Rawlings conservatives.com
- Biography of Baroness Rawlings www.parliament.uk
- Bulgarian Order of the Rose (Silver)
- "Baroness Rawlings". www.parliament.uk. Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- "Press Notice: Appointment of Lord in Waiting (Government Whip)". Number10.gov.uk. 25 June 2012.
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of the European Parliament for Essex South West
1989 – 1994
(see Essex West & Hertfordshire East)