Patrick "Deep Dish" Bertoletti is an American competitive eater from Chicago. Bertoletti is known as one of the "young guns" of competitive eating.
Bertoletti graduated from Morgan Park Academy high school on the south side of Chicago in the Beverly neighborhood.
Bertoletti is a graduate of Kendall College in downtown Chicago as a Culinary major.
Bertoletti is a frequent guest on the Steve Dahl Podcast. Bertoletti was featured on the cover of the Chicago Reader on Friday June 30, 2006. The story described his abilities and his ambitions for the summer competition.
Bertoletti appeared on WAGA Atlanta's Fox 5 News on June 24, 2006 after winning the qualifier at Zoo Atlanta, where he ate 33 Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs.
Bertoletti is a Kendall College Graduate with a Bachelor's Degree in Culinary Arts. He's currently a chef at Chef Freddy's Catering.
Fans of the competitive eater often ask him what he listens to when he wears his trademark headphones during contests. The answer: Jesse and the Rippers.
Bertoletti cites his personal heroes as being Charles Bronson and Burt Reynolds.
When Bertoletti is not training for the next big contest, he spends his time collecting rubber bands to add to his rubber band ball.
On January 2, 2007, he became the first person to complete the Sasquatch Burger Contest at Bigfoot Lodge Cafe in Memphis, Tennessee. 679 people had tried to finish the burger and fries that starts with 4 lbs of hamburger meat on a homemade bun, Bertoletti finished the meal in 11 minutes and 5 seconds.
On July 4, 2007, he finished third in the 92nd annual Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest in Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York, having eaten 49 hot dogs and buns in that competition. Only two others have ever eaten more during the contest.
On September 16, 2007, he cemented his position as the undisputed jalapeño eating champion of the world, defeating Sonya Thomas and Rich LeFevre at the La Costeña "Feel the Heat" Jalapeño Eating Challenge in Chicago, IL. This competition was marred when the event organizers ran out of jalapeños five minutes into the eight-minute competition.
On November 22, 2007, he won Spike TV Major League Eating "Turkey Bowl". Bertoletti consumed 6.91 pounds of (whole) turkey in 8 minutes, upsetting the previous year's winner Joey Chestnut. The feat earned a "Wow!" from 4th ranked Tim Janus after the competition when the total weight consumed was announced.
On July 4, 2008, he finished 4th at the Nathan's Famous contest, consuming 38 HDB (hot dogs & buns) in the 10 minute contest.
On September 1, 2008, he finished 3rd at the Skyline Chili Spaghetti Eating Contest, consuming 11 LB in the 10 minute contest.
On July 4, 2009, Patrick placed 3rd in the Nathan's Famous contest, eating 54 HDBs.
In May, 2010, Patrick became the world poutine eating champion after scarfing down 13 pounds of gravy-and-cheese-soaked fries in a mere 10 minutes. He edged out 11 fellow stars of Major League Eating and three Canadian amateur eaters by consuming box after box of poutine at Toronto's BMO Field in the first World Poutine Eating Championship.
On July 4, 2010, Patrick took third place in the Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating contest by eating 37 hot dogs in ten minutes.
On July 22, 2010, Patrick beat Joey Chestnut to win the Mars Bar eating competition. He ate 38 bars in just over 4 minutes.
On June 5, 2011, Patrick took first place in the Acme Oyster House Oyster Eating Contest and set a Louisiana state record by eating 39 dozen (468 individual) oysters in eight minutes.
On July 4, 2011, Patrick took second place in the Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating contest by eating 55 hot dogs in ten minutes.
On Jan 23, 2012, Patrick took first place in The Isle Boonville World Boneless Buffalo Wing Eating Championship by eating 6.75 pounds of buffalo wings in 10 minutes.
On September 9, 2012, Patrick took first place in Wild Eggs National Pancake Eating Championship by eating 50 king pancakes in 10 minutes.
On Feb 3, 2013, Patrick took first place in Fat Tuesday King Cake Eating World Championship by eating 12 king cakes in 8 minutes.
On July 3, 2013, Patrick took first place in Z-Burger Independence Burger eating Championship by eating 28 burgers in 10 minutes.
On October 6, 2013, Patrick took second place in canada's biggest pizza eating contest by eating 39 slices of pizza in 12 minutes.
16" Pizza: 47 slices big apple pizza / 10 Minutes
Blueberry Pie (Hands-Free): 9.17 lbs blueberry pie / 8 minutes
Chicken wings: 4.1# / in 8 Minutes
Chocolate: 1 lb, 15.5 oz Chicago Chocolate Hearts / 7 minutes
Corned Beef & Cabbage: 10.63 lbs Corned Beef & Cabbage / 10 Minutes
Corned Beef Sandwiches: 11 8-ounce Corned Beef Sandwiches / 10 minutes
Date Nut Bread: 29.5 Chock full o'Nuts Date Nut Bread and Cream Cheese Sandwiches / 8 minutes
Doughnuts, Cream-filled: 47 Glazed and Cream-filled Doughnuts / 5 minutes
Grits: 21 lbs of Grits / 10 minutes
Ice Cream, Short form: 1.75 pounds (gallons) Brooklyn Vanilla Ice Cream / 8 minutes
Jalapeños, Pickled: 98 Pickled Jalapeño Peppers after 47 donuts / 5 Minutes
Jalapeños, Pickled: 191 Pickled Jalapeño Peppers / 6.5 Minutes
Jalapeños, Pickled: 275 Pickled Jalapeño Peppers / 8 Minutes
Key Lime Pie: 10.8 pounds Key Lime Pie / 8 minutes
Kolaches: 44 Cherry Kolaches / 8 Minutes
Oysters, Short Form: 34 dozen Acme oysters / 8 Minutes
Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches: 42 PB&J / 10 minutes
Posole: 9 lbs, 3 ounces Posole / 12 Minutes
Shoo-Fly Pie: 11.1 Pounds Shoo-Fly Pie / 8 Minutes
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie: 7.9 lbs Strawberry Rhubarb Pie / 8 minutes
Strawberry Shortcake: 15.25 lbs Strawberry Shortcake / 8 Minutes
Waffles: 29 Waffles (8 oz.) / 10 Minutes
Whole Turkey: 4 pounds, 12.8 ounces roast turkey meat / 12 minutes
Whole Turkey, Short Form: 6.91 lbs roast turkey meat / 8 Minutes
- "Overeating for Fun and Profit", By Kabir Hamid, Chicago Reader, June 29, 2006. Retrieved February 1, 2010.
- Riley, Marcus (March 17, 2009). "Chicagoan Creams Corned Beef Competition". NBC Chicago. Retrieved March 25, 2015.
- Groeninger, Alissa (July 3, 2011). "Chicago man hoping to be top dog in Nathan's eating contest". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved March 25, 2015.
- "Challenge Winner - 2007!". Archived from the original on December 25, 2008. Retrieved March 25, 2015.
- "The Kookamonga Challenge". Kookycanuck.com. Retrieved March 25, 2015.
- Sederstron, Jotham & Adam Lisberg. (July 4, 2007) American wins hot dog title over six-time champ Daily News (New York).
- Top-ranked chicken eater loses his crown; Ryan Nakashima; October 10, 2007; Retrieved October 10, 2007; Archived October 12, 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- "NY hosts corned beef 'Sandwich Slamm'". WBBH-TV. March 18, 2009. Retrieved March 25, 2015.
- Lucadamo, Kathlen; Xana O'Neill; & Bill Hutchinson. (July 5, 2009) Rain and Shine for 4th Daily News (New York).
- Pat Bertoletti Posts Shocking Rib Eating Contest Upset.
- ‘Deep Dish’ scarfs down 13 pounds of poutine to wear the crown of curds The Globe and Mail, May 23, 2010
- Comic-Con Day 1 Sign On San Diego, July 22, 2010
- "Wild Eggs National Pancake Eating Championship". Major League Eating. Retrieved March 25, 2015.
- Soverinsky, Jerry. (2008). Now That's Fast Food. Chicago Sun-Times (September 24, 2008) accessed August 16, 2009.
- Culinary student Patrick Bertoletti, 20, ate 13⁄4 pounds of ice cream in eight minutes to win the World Ice Cream Eating Championship. Ice Cream Reporter (June 20, 2006). accessed August 16, 2009.